Likes Likes:  44
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 RAM 2500 First Oil / Fuel Change

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Exclamation 2020 RAM 2500 First Oil / Fuel Change

So it is time for my truck to have a oil change and fuel filters *6k miles*.

The dealership has offered me 6 free changes but everytime I go back for a warranty part some goofy tech always breaks something else so I am tired of finding things when I get back home.

The question I have is what oil is everybody running and also the weight.

I have already bought all the stock filters but I am wondering about oil and also do you guys fill the oil filter with new oil when replacing it back in?

Any info on oil, process, quarts qty would be great.

2. Likes AK Bob, SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Houston HB View Post
    So it is time for my truck to have a oil change and fuel filters *6k miles*.

The dealership has offered me 6 free changes but everytime I go back for a warranty part some goofy tech always breaks something else so I am tired of finding thing when I get back home.

The question I have is what oil is everybody running and also the weight.

I have already bought all the stock filters but I am wondering about oil and also do you guys fill the oil filter with new oil when replacing it back in?

Any info on oil, process, quarts qty would be great.
    I think the manual calls for 10w-30 but I'd personally run a 40wt if it were my truck. Hot Shots Secret Blue Diamond 5w-40 or Amsoil 5w-40 Sig Series.

If you wanna stick with 10w-30 I think Valvoline Premium Blue has that weight.

PB is Cummins endorsed if that matters to you. 3 gallon capacity unless something has changed I'm not aware of and I always prefill my filter prior to installing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    I think the manual calls for 10w-30 but I'd personally run a 40wt if it were my truck.

Hot Shots Secret Blue Diamond 5w-40 or Amsoil 5w-40 Sig Series.

If you wanna stick with 10w-30 I think Valvoline Premium Blue has that weight. PB is Cummins endorsed if that matters to you.

3 gallon capacity unless something has changed I'm not aware of and I always prefill my filter prior to installing.

Thought on 5w40 rotella T6?

I had a ecodiesel and used that all the time.

6. Likes SyN, watersupply189, JBoatright liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thought on 5w40 rotella t6? I had a ecodiesel and used that all the time.
    I'm sure your truck will be fine with it if you are. LOL

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    I'm sure your truck will be fine with it if you are. LOL

Come on let me know the truth.

I reading the funny typing your doing.

Your not going to hurt my feelings, like I said before this is all new to me coming from the import world so I am not bias.

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Come on let me know the truth.

I reading the funny typing your doing.

Your not going to hurt my feelings, like I said before this is all new to me coming from the import world so I am not bias.
    Rotella or Valvoline should be fine.

If warranty means a lot to you then I'd make sure whatever you use meets the spec for the 10w-30 that they recommend in the manual.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

11. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

@Houston HB:

My service MGR - told me the 10W-30 viscosity use was strictly to help increase MPG - though this viscosity has shown & proven to serve & protect very well - via Many Stellar UOA.

Your Manual will some what guide you in what THEY think is proper Viscosity for your region (Temp Climate) - The 5W-40 viscosity is the go to viscosity for almost every condition - These Days!
    The HDEO 10W-30 has been put into the mix for the extra MPG increase - not less engine wear.
    (Ford is not a fan of the SN versions) much lower ZDDP.
    (Me personally - I will not run a HDEO in my new 6.7L that's lowered it standard to be rated for a gasoline motor as well) - Sorry! I'm not a Sheep of the Flock & Believe the Manufactures & the API put my Best Interest first.

1. Rotella T5 10w-30 is sold decently @ a lower price. (though only a syn-blend) ---> No SN rating
    (As of Today 12-12-20)
    2. Delo XLE 10W-30 - (Syn-Blend)
    3. Valvoline Premium Blue 10W-30 (Syn-Blend)
    4. Mobil 1 Delvac Extreme 10W-30 or Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 10W-30 (Conventional)
    All on the shelf oils.

Now since all that Mombo Jumbo is spewed out all over the table - Look into or at any HDEO 5W-40.
    1. Rotella T6 5W-40 ------------------------> Probably the most popular ------> No SN rating (As of Today 12-12-20)
    2. M1 TDT 5W-40 or Delvac 1 5W-40
    3. Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40
    4. Delo 400 XSP 5W-40 - Just a few that can be bought off the shelf. --> Cummins Certified Oils!

More (Expensive) Boutique Oils: Amsoil 5W-40
    1. Hot Shots Secret (Green or Blue) Diamond 5W-40
    2. Schaeffers 9000 5W-40
    3. Royal Purple 5W-40
    4. Motul 8100 5W-40
    5. TRIAX Supreme ESP 5W-40
    6. Red Line 5W-40

There are a few Brands of Boutique HDEO 10W-30 oils now. (More Robust/Stouter formulations & generally a higher TBN for longer OCI)= More $$
    1, Hot Shots Secret (Green Diamond)
    2. Amsoil if that is the direction you want to go.

Just my thoughts on Oil Filters: Try to stay with either of these ------->Mopar / Fleetguard / Amsoil / Donaldson Blue ----> All of these are built of the highest quality -- I personally would throw the Wix XP in there as well but I won't

Look into these items - which will help keep your oil change easy and almost mess free. (I bought 2 of these - One for the Old filter removal through the fender well & One for the New filter going in).

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...ofc-tool/tools

If you stay with the Mopar Oil Filters (Fluted Bottom) - You will love this filter wrench.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Diese...75.c100623.m-1

Last but not least --> My saving grace when it comes to oil changes.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...a/drain-valves

or

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/...modelId=647295

Since I go through the fender well with my filter - I fill the new filter up a bit more then 1/2 way and then screw in the plug - I did use a dremel and cut away a bit more up top of the plastic inner liner of the fender well just enough where I could see myself actually screwing on the new filter.

Genos Garage is a Very Good Source to purchase items like these - Possibly DDP as well.
    https://www.genosgarage.com/

Good Luck in your Quest! (Every 6.7L owner will have his or her go to Brand & Viscosity) - You can't go wrong with Rotella T6 5W-40 or T5 10W-30.
    Any more questions - don't hesitate to ask.

Note: Take all this spewage with a grain of salt - Most of these oils are Over Excessive - for those owners whom only plan on keeping their 6.7L for 3-5 yrs.
    If ya plan on keeping yours for 8-15 yrs - All of these oils & filters will serve and protect your investment well.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

13. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    @Houston HB:

My service MGR - told me the 10W-30 viscosity use was strictly to help increase MPG - though this viscosity has shown & proven to serve & protect very well - via Many Stellar UOA.
    Just a Fun Fact ------> No where on any Data Posted or Labels - Does the 10W-30 viscosity advertise or claim ---------> Lower Engine Wear - when compared to the 5W-40 or 15W-40 viscosities.

Your Manual will some what guide you in what THEY think is proper Viscosity for your region (Temp Climate) - The 5W-40 viscosity is the go to viscosity for almost every condition - These Days!
    Running a True Actual 100% Full Synthetic 15W-40 in my opinion is Ideal - (Most will disagree - but that's perfectly fine) My feelings are not fragile & will never be hurt due to a oil & filter conversation.
    1. Amsoil 15W-40
    2. TRIAX Supreme ESP 15W-40
    3. Royal Purple Duralec 15W-40
    4. Red Line 15W-40
    5. Rotella T6 15W-40 -- unless ya live or work in a -10*F or colder climate 24/7 - Then a HDEO 0W-40 would be a smart choice.

Now since all that Mombo Jumbo is spewed out all over the table - Look into or at any HDEO 5W-40.
    1. Rotella T6 5W-40
    2. M1 TDT 5W-40 or Delvac 1 5W-40
    3. Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40
    4. Delo 400 XSP 5W-40 - Just a few that can be bought off the shelf. --> Cummins Certified Oils!

More (Expensive) Boutique Oils: Amsoil 5W-40
    1. Hot Shots Secret (Green or Blue) Diamond 5W-40
    2. Schaeffers 9000 5W-40
    3. Royal Purple 5W-40
    4. Motul 8100 5W-40
    5. TRIAX Supreme ESP 5W-40
    6. Red Line 5W-40

If you actually live and breath in Houston , TX year round? ---> You can easily get by with running a 15W-40 (Conventional or Synthetic) yr round with zero issues!

Just my thoughts on Oil Filters: Try to stay with either of these ------->Mopar / Fleetguard / Amsoil / Donaldson Blue ----> All of these are built of the highest quality -- I personally would throw the Wix XP in there as well but I won't

Look into these items - which will help keep your oil change easy and almost mess free. (I bought 2 of these - One for the Old filter removal through the fender well & One for the New filter going in).

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...ofc-tool/tools

If you stay with the Mopar Oil Filters (Fluted Bottom) - You will love this filter wrench.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Diese...75.c100623.m-1

Last but not least --> My saving grace when it comes to oil changes.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...a/drain-valves

or

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/...modelId=647295

Since I go through the fender well with my filter - I fill the new filter up a bit more then 1/2 way and then screw in the plug - I did use a dremel and cut away a bit more up top of the plastic inner liner of the fender well just enough where I could see myself actually screwing on the new filter.

Genos Garage is a Very Good Source to purchase items like these.
    https://www.genosgarage.com/

Good Luck in your Quest!
    Any more questions - don't hesitate to ask.

Note: Take all this spewage with a grain of salt - Most of these oils are Over Excessive - for those owners whom only plan on keeping their 6.7L for 3-5 yrs - If ya plan on keeping yours for 8-15 yrs - most of these oils & filters will serve and protect your investment well.
    Before anyone things of oil. Look at this tsb FCA released. I spoke to my regional rep and there are three blown up engines from running a 15w-40 oil. I’ll post pictures on the next post.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Just a diesel enthusiast helping others:
    2015 3500 Mega Cab Aisin Leveled on 35's.
    2018 3500 Crew Cab G56 leveled on 35’s
    2021 3500 Mega Cab HO Aisin screaming eagles..

15. Thanks Hoseman thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I have a 2016 and I have always run 15w40. I have used Royal Purple, Amsoil oils but this next change I’m gonna try the Hot Shots black diamond oil which I’ve heard so many good reviews on it.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

17. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

This is engine failure from 15w-40 I have one coming from my local dealer so I can rebuild the engine for the customer since FCA voided warranty. The truck only has 12k miles on it. The hydraulic lifters need the thinner oil. The passages are smaller and bearing clearance is tighter so 15w-40 is to thick.

Just a diesel enthusiast helping others:
    2015 3500 Mega Cab Aisin Leveled on 35's.
    2018 3500 Crew Cab G56 leveled on 35’s
    2021 3500 Mega Cab HO Aisin screaming eagles..

19. Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast