Likes Likes:  44
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2020 RAM 2500 First Oil / Fuel Change

1. Top Of Page | #21

Re: 2020 RAM 2500 First Oil / Fuel Change

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    5w-40 without question IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the benefit of running 5w40 over 10w30? I’m just wondering because I’m about to change the oil for the first time in my 5th gen. I live in south louisiana so it never gets below 0F and the truck is still emission compliant.

For my 13 cummins I ran Valvoline with a 14k miles interval for years and had blackstone monitoring it for me. Everything stayed good. But this truck makes me second guess things.

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Froe View Post
    What is the benefit of running 5w40 over 10w30? I’m just wondering because I’m about to change the oil for the first time in my 5th gen. I live in south louisiana so it never gets below 0F and the truck is still emission compliant.

For my 13 cummins I ran Valvoline with a 14k miles interval for years and had blackstone monitoring it for me. Everything stayed good. But this truck makes me second guess things.
    I'd run the 10w-30 if you're concerned about warranty as that is what the manual calls for. The reason they changed the weight on the 5th gens is because they have a different valvetrain compared to the prior years.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

I'd run the 10w-30 if you're concerned about warranty as that is what the manual calls for. The reason they changed the weight on the 5th gens is because they have a different valvetrain compared to the prior years.

I'm only concerned with what is best for the engine. I have other plans to help it out once the cp4 is gone. LOL I just want do not want to cause any issues by picking the wrong oil.

2019 Ram 2500. 8” FTS Lift. 38x15.50 Fury MT’s on 26x14 XF Offroad wheels.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4/Raceme Ultra with DRD WARP tunes/EGR, Throttle Valve, DPF Delete, 4'' FloPro/5'' Rough Country Lift Kit with 37's on 22" Fuel Flow

6. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Froe View Post
    I'm only concerned with what is best for the engine. I have other plans to help it out once the cp4 is gone. LOL I just want do not want to cause any issues by picking the wrong oil.
    Weight choice is up to the owner. 10-30 would be perfectly fine for your location so that's probably what I'd run. I personally run Amsoil in all of my vehicles(diesel/gas) and have ran HSS in the past, all with Amsoil filters. We can save you a few dollars on both brands if you don't have a source but if you're just wanting something from a parts store, I'd use Valvoline.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

Ok sounds good. Thanks for your help! Greatly appreciated!

2019 Ram 2500. 8” FTS Lift. 38x15.50 Fury MT’s on 26x14 XF Offroad wheels.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4/Raceme Ultra with DRD WARP tunes/EGR, Throttle Valve, DPF Delete, 4'' FloPro/5'' Rough Country Lift Kit with 37's on 22" Fuel Flow

10. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Not that I don't agree with the above - I just would like to actually read that going to a 5w-40 on the newer trucks is harmful for the valvetrain, it would flow better at cold start than a 10w-30

I can almost guarantee as with most engine manufacturers, emissions standards etc, that in testing the newer engines, running a 30w oil that is thinner probably netted a 0.2mpg increase overall and thus was the the recommended weight as the fuel mileage standards are hard enough across the fleet with CAFE etc as it is

Again I may be off and you may be 100% right but I'm more inclined to think that is why they fit the newer engines with a 30w vs the 40w that had been equipped for years

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123