Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  44
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 RAM 2500 First Oil / Fuel Change

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

@Houston HB:

My service MGR - told me the 10W-30 viscosity use was strictly to help increase MPG - though this viscosity has shown & proven to serve & protect very well - via Many Stellar UOA.

Your Manual will some what guide you in what THEY think is proper Viscosity for your region (Temp Climate) - The 5W-40 viscosity is the go to viscosity for almost every condition - These Days!
    The HDEO 10W-30 has been put into the mix for the extra MPG increase - not less engine wear.
    (Ford is not a fan of the SN versions) much lower ZDDP.
    (Me personally - I will not run a HDEO in my new 6.7L that's lowered it standard to be rated for a gasoline motor as well) - Sorry! I'm not a Sheep of the Flock & Believe the Manufactures & the API put my Best Interest first.

1. Rotella T5 10w-30 is sold decently @ a lower price. (though only a syn-blend) ---> No SN rating
    (As of Today 12-12-20)
    2. Delo XLE 10W-30 - (Syn-Blend)
    3. Valvoline Premium Blue 10W-30 (Syn-Blend)
    4. Mobil 1 Delvac Extreme 10W-30 or Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 10W-30 (Conventional)
    All on the shelf oils.

Now since all that Mombo Jumbo is spewed out all over the table - Look into or at any HDEO 5W-40.
    1. Rotella T6 5W-40 ------------------------> Probably the most popular ------> No SN rating (As of Today 12-12-20)
    2. M1 TDT 5W-40 or Delvac 1 5W-40
    3. Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40
    4. Delo 400 XSP 5W-40 - Just a few that can be bought off the shelf. --> Cummins Certified Oils!

More (Expensive) Boutique Oils: Amsoil 5W-40
    1. Hot Shots Secret (Green or Blue) Diamond 5W-40
    2. Schaeffers 9000 5W-40
    3. Royal Purple 5W-40
    4. Motul 8100 5W-40
    5. TRIAX Supreme ESP 5W-40
    6. Red Line 5W-40

There are a few Brands of Boutique HDEO 10W-30 oils now. (More Robust/Stouter formulations & generally a higher TBN for longer OCI)= More $$
    1, Hot Shots Secret (Green Diamond)
    2. Amsoil if that is the direction you want to go.

Just my thoughts on Oil Filters: Try to stay with either of these ------->Mopar / Fleetguard / Amsoil / Donaldson Blue ----> All of these are built of the highest quality -- I personally would throw the Wix XP in there as well but I won't

Look into these items - which will help keep your oil change easy and almost mess free. (I bought 2 of these - One for the Old filter removal through the fender well & One for the New filter going in).

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...ofc-tool/tools

If you stay with the Mopar Oil Filters (Fluted Bottom) - You will love this filter wrench.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Diese...75.c100623.m-1

Last but not least --> My saving grace when it comes to oil changes.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...a/drain-valves

or

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/...modelId=647295

Since I go through the fender well with my filter - I fill the new filter up a bit more then 1/2 way and then screw in the plug - I did use a dremel and cut away a bit more up top of the plastic inner liner of the fender well just enough where I could see myself actually screwing on the new filter.

Genos Garage is a Very Good Source to purchase items like these - Possibly DDP as well.
    https://www.genosgarage.com/

Good Luck in your Quest! (Every 6.7L owner will have his or her go to Brand & Viscosity) - You can't go wrong with Rotella T6 5W-40 or T5 10W-30.
    Any more questions - don't hesitate to ask.

Note: Take all this spewage with a grain of salt - Most of these oils are Over Excessive - for those owners whom only plan on keeping their 6.7L for 3-5 yrs.
    If ya plan on keeping yours for 8-15 yrs - All of these oils & filters will serve and protect your investment well.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

I have a 2016 and I have always run 15w40. I have used Royal Purple, Amsoil oils but this next change I’m gonna try the Hot Shots black diamond oil which I’ve heard so many good reviews on it.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    @Houston HB:

My service MGR - told me the 10W-30 viscosity use was strictly to help increase MPG - though this viscosity has shown & proven to serve & protect very well - via Many Stellar UOA.
    Just a Fun Fact ------> No where on any Data Posted or Labels - Does the 10W-30 viscosity advertise or claim ---------> Lower Engine Wear - when compared to the 5W-40 or 15W-40 viscosities.

Your Manual will some what guide you in what THEY think is proper Viscosity for your region (Temp Climate) - The 5W-40 viscosity is the go to viscosity for almost every condition - These Days!
    Running a True Actual 100% Full Synthetic 15W-40 in my opinion is Ideal - (Most will disagree - but that's perfectly fine) My feelings are not fragile & will never be hurt due to a oil & filter conversation.
    1. Amsoil 15W-40
    2. TRIAX Supreme ESP 15W-40
    3. Royal Purple Duralec 15W-40
    4. Red Line 15W-40
    5. Rotella T6 15W-40 -- unless ya live or work in a -10*F or colder climate 24/7 - Then a HDEO 0W-40 would be a smart choice.

Now since all that Mombo Jumbo is spewed out all over the table - Look into or at any HDEO 5W-40.
    1. Rotella T6 5W-40
    2. M1 TDT 5W-40 or Delvac 1 5W-40
    3. Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40
    4. Delo 400 XSP 5W-40 - Just a few that can be bought off the shelf. --> Cummins Certified Oils!

More (Expensive) Boutique Oils: Amsoil 5W-40
    1. Hot Shots Secret (Green or Blue) Diamond 5W-40
    2. Schaeffers 9000 5W-40
    3. Royal Purple 5W-40
    4. Motul 8100 5W-40
    5. TRIAX Supreme ESP 5W-40
    6. Red Line 5W-40

If you actually live and breath in Houston , TX year round? ---> You can easily get by with running a 15W-40 (Conventional or Synthetic) yr round with zero issues!

Just my thoughts on Oil Filters: Try to stay with either of these ------->Mopar / Fleetguard / Amsoil / Donaldson Blue ----> All of these are built of the highest quality -- I personally would throw the Wix XP in there as well but I won't

Look into these items - which will help keep your oil change easy and almost mess free. (I bought 2 of these - One for the Old filter removal through the fender well & One for the New filter going in).

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...ofc-tool/tools

If you stay with the Mopar Oil Filters (Fluted Bottom) - You will love this filter wrench.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Diese...75.c100623.m-1

Last but not least --> My saving grace when it comes to oil changes.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...a/drain-valves

or

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/...modelId=647295

Since I go through the fender well with my filter - I fill the new filter up a bit more then 1/2 way and then screw in the plug - I did use a dremel and cut away a bit more up top of the plastic inner liner of the fender well just enough where I could see myself actually screwing on the new filter.

Genos Garage is a Very Good Source to purchase items like these.
    https://www.genosgarage.com/

Good Luck in your Quest!
    Any more questions - don't hesitate to ask.

Note: Take all this spewage with a grain of salt - Most of these oils are Over Excessive - for those owners whom only plan on keeping their 6.7L for 3-5 yrs - If ya plan on keeping yours for 8-15 yrs - most of these oils & filters will serve and protect your investment well.
    Before anyone things of oil. Look at this tsb FCA released. I spoke to my regional rep and there are three blown up engines from running a 15w-40 oil. I’ll post pictures on the next post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attached Images Attached Images
    Just a diesel enthusiast helping others:
    2015 3500 Mega Cab Aisin Leveled on 35's.
    2018 3500 Crew Cab G56 leveled on 35’s
    2021 3500 Mega Cab HO Aisin screaming eagles..

6. Thanks Hoseman thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

This is engine failure from 15w-40 I have one coming from my local dealer so I can rebuild the engine for the customer since FCA voided warranty. The truck only has 12k miles on it. The hydraulic lifters need the thinner oil. The passages are smaller and bearing clearance is tighter so 15w-40 is to thick.

8. Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Well Retract all I stated about the 15W-40 Viscosity (Only for the 19 & newer 6.7L) -- That is one Sensitive Motor!
    Even though @ Actual operating temp the 5W-40 & 15W-40 are basically at the same viscosity - Only @ initial start up and warm up would the true viscosity's be that much different.

Thank God I bought my 2017 when I did.

Note: There is no test or machine that can truthfully show or tell - What Brand or (Actual) Viscosity of oil is being run or was run - If they tell you there is - they are spewing BS & trying to cover their A$$ for a initial Pi$$ poor Design!

The 5.7L Hemi has similar issues with those Weak/Horrid designed roller lifters & cam. (It is talked about via other places - the oil flow up to these lifters & cam is not sufficient as well) not blaming tighter so called bearing tolerances.

Dealer told me I HAD to run 20Wt oil for the same reasons - My 5.7L had a pathetic Lifter tick at start up and until motor was up to operating temp - sounded like a super sewing machine on steroids - common sense & research told me to run the PUP SRT 0W-40 with the high PPM of Moly - After first initial switch ---> No more ticking. (Sorry was not an exhaust manifold leak ticking) only after 12K miles.

At the time of trade in for my 6.7L - the salesman who drove my 14 Ram - for trade in purposes - claimed that was the quietest and smoothest 5.7L he had ever driven.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Well Retract all I stated about the 15W-40 Viscosity -- That is one Sensitive Motor!

Thank God I bought my 2017 when I did.

Note: There is no test or machine that call truthfully show or tell - What Brand or Viscosity of oil is being run or was run - If they tell you there is - they are spewing BS & trying to cover their A$$ for a initial Pi$$ poor Design!

The 5.7L Hemi has similar issues with those Weak/Horrid designed roller lifters & cam.
    The use of Red Line 5W-30 with triple the PPM of Moly has seemed to have helped with the longevity of these poor designed parts.
    I have a hemi besides a 20 Cummins ho. And they send out for an oil analysis and they can get a rough idea on base weight when cold. It’s just like when anyone wants an oil analysis done. I use nothing but Schaffer’s oil with moly in it and it has done very well.

12. Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Yes a Slight Rough Idea - but In my eyes & proven with a good lawyer - Nothing that will hold up in court - if legal suit gets involved. (Fix Your Poor/Weak Design - Don't Blame issues on a simple oil viscosity) = Very Weak!
    A UOA would have to be taken within the first 1K miles - due to the oil shears & gets diluted with fuel & moisture fairly quick - which effects viscosity quite drastically.

There falls the famous Saying ----> There is a huge difference in wording when it comes to Recommended or Required.

I feel for all these new owners whom take their 19 & Up 6.7L to these fast lube oil change places - Not all of them offer a HDEO 5W-40 synthetic or HDEO 10W-30 - I guess they will start having to now.
    No more Cheap Conventional HDEO 15W-40 oil changes for these Chaps!

Cam95 - Thanks for Correcting my statement! (I went back and corrected my first post) - didn't want others reading my false info posted.

A HD diesel engine - sensitive to Oil Viscosity - Who would have ever thought!
    Weak Sauce Holy Moly

Next will be a Required Type of Diesel Fuel - due to the Sensitive Injectors!

Houston HB: I apologize!
    I almost led you in the totally wrong direction on the 15W-40 statement - I totally Fubard your thread.
    Good Luck to You & all the other New 19 & Up owners!

14. Thanks Cam95 thanked for this post
    Likes Cam95, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Well my manual on my 2016 states 15w40. Guess the 18 and up engines are built differently? I just order 3 gallons from @DDP for Hot Shots black diamond 15w40.

16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Well my manual on my 2016 states 15w40. Guess the 18 and up engines are built differently? I just order 3 gallons from @DDP for Hot Shots black diamond 15w40.

2019 was the change for oil weight standard is 10w-30 optional is 5w-40.

17. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cam95 View Post
    2019 was the change for oil weight standard is 10w-30 optional is 5w-40.

My fat fingers meant to hit 9 not 8. LOL

Thanks for the info.

19. Thanks Cam95 thanked for this post
    Likes Cam95, AK Bob liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast