Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Loss Of Rail Pressure and Tank Treatment

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Loss Of Rail Pressure and Tank Treatment

Here goes my story.

I installed micro guard fuel filters under the hood at the frame mounted water separator at my regular filter change.

The truck ran great for about 700 miles using the auxiliary tank for gravity feed.

The wife takes it to work and calls me on the way home, saying it is cutting out.

Not out of the ordinary as this had happened before with aftermarket filters and was cleared up when I put in Mopar filters.

I couldn't find a reasonable price for the underhood filter, and with it being only 700 miles, I only swapped the water separator to Mopar.

When I switched the water separator, I also treated my auxiliary tank with one bottle of Power Source Clear Diesel and one seafoam bottle with 50 gallons of fuel.

Still, I only let about 6 gallons of this fuel into my main truck tank until I turned the external tank off.

It was driving great, and then it started cutting out again.

I see about 5000PSI on the rail at idle, but when i would get to about 20% throttle, the RP would drop to about 2500PSI and cut out till I got off the skinny pedal.

I removed the underhood filter and inspected and found black marks on the filter (See pictures).

I have since purged the lines and removed/reinstalled the underhood filter 3 times, and now it seems to be working properly, but it has me scratching my head.

I took a picture of the fuel in the tank (see pictures) and noticed it was brown in color.

I want to say bad fuel, but this has never happened like this before.

Any thoughts?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Jerrod Miller
    2018 Ram 3500 CCLB DRW Black
    Spark Plugs upgraded with Ray @ DRD, Air Dog Fuel System, Beans Sump.

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Loss Of Rail Pressure and Tank Treatment

How old is your aux tank and is this your first treatment with Seafoam on that tank?

It’s possible the Seafoam was able pull some sludge/varnish/rust from the aux tank and the contamination caused low pressure.

I think are other variables I’m not considering or accounting for, but that’s what I’m leaning to at the moment.

4. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, timshooter40, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Loss Of Rail Pressure and Tank Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Jmiller8649 View Post
    Here goes my story.

I installed micro guard fuel filters under the hood at the frame mounted water separator at my regular filter change.

The truck ran great for about 700 miles using the auxiliary tank for gravity feed.

The wife takes it to work and calls me on the way home, saying it is cutting out.

Not out of the ordinary as this had happened before with aftermarket filters and was cleared up when I put in Mopar filters.

I couldn't find a reasonable price for the underhood filter, and with it being only 700 miles, I only swapped the water separator to Mopar.

When I switched the water separator, I also treated my auxiliary tank with one bottle of Power Source Clear Diesel and one seafoam bottle with 50 gallons of fuel.

Still, I only let about 6 gallons of this fuel into my main truck tank until I turned the external tank off.

It was driving great, and then it started cutting out again.

I see about 5000PSI on the rail at idle, but when i would get to about 20% throttle, the RP would drop to about 2500PSI and cut out till I got off the skinny pedal.

I removed the underhood filter and inspected and found black marks on the filter (See pictures).

I have since purged the lines and removed/reinstalled the underhood filter 3 times, and now it seems to be working properly, but it has me scratching my head.

I took a picture of the fuel in the tank (see pictures) and noticed it was brown in color.

I want to say bad fuel, but this has never happened like this before.

Any thoughts?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

What was the temps in your area?

That tank pic almost looks like gelled fuel.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, timshooter40, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

Looks watery.

Might pour a clear mason jar up and let it separate.

That might show some more information.

Let us know friend.

8. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

@cumminsdieselfreak temps were around 40 at night and 70 during the day. Im in Houston.

Jerrod Miller

10. Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

@coryscummins I poured a little in a small glass jar and it looked clear with a green tint like it does coming out of the pump. Ill get some in a jar this afternoon and let it sit for a day or so and see what happens. My thought is that the cleaner I put in there loosened up some gunk in the tank and thats what caused the brown look. Not sure though.

Jerrod Miller

12. Likes timshooter40, SyN, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

That looks like algie. I'm not 100% positive by pic, but that looks like algie. We treat our tanks here where I work, because it is a problem here depending on where you buy fuel. During the winter here because its gets cold we keep our tanks full because a tank that is not full draws moisture. During the summer we treat heavy because it can get a little humid. Nothing like east coast but some humidity. This plays havoc on fuel systems here if your not pro active.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

14. Likes SyN, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Not to say it is algae (Hopefully it is not & only moisture in the fuel) - but this is one reason I chose to add 2 oz of this product every couple months.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HWT1XW...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Along with a couple more for lubricity & demulsification help.

Most frown on Diesel Fuel Additives - but there are a handful out there sold - that actually do what they were intended to do.

Although - It's very hard to combat a very bad batch of Diesel that has been added to your fuel tank.

Keep Us up to date.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

16. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post