Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Performance Street Tires In a 17”?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Performance Street Tires In a 17”?

I’ve been trying to search and see what’s out there for tires with weight ratings safe for a 2500. I currently have Toyo AT2’s in a 35/12.5-17. I’m just not finding much, probably because there’s no market for it.

thinking of getting something more “performance” oriented but not coming up with much. Maybe I’m just looking at it all wrong, since I don’t really lose traction anyway with all terrain tires.

basically thinking of a highway terrain style with more grip maybe? But it seems all highway terrain tires are Only focused on low rolling resistance + long life. Which isn’t a bad thing, but at the sizes they’re offered, won’t they have less traction with smaller footprints?

I definitely don’t want a drag tire, as that’s not my goal and wouldn’t be as safe in the rain (maybe?). Also I don’t think drag radials even come in E rated sizes.

I’m pretty sure I’ll just end up getting some Toyo AT3’s, and I have decent life left on these with approx 30k miles on em. But figured I’d ask here and see if I’m missing something with my research. I also may go down a size to something in the 33-34” range. I think it will help with the transmission not being overworked by turning such a tall tire. Basics same power levels hopefully will be less likely to roast an OD, kinda instead of doing a gear swap.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Performance Street Tires In a 17”?

I've run Coopers for about 5 years now.

I started out with the STT Pro and I just couldn't find a "happy" pressure for them.

Mine ended up cupping badly and I got about 35k out of them.

I switched to the S/T Maxx and I really like them.

I felt like my truck lost a 1,000 pounds, stopped better, and lost that beautiful highway whine.

I ran 315/70/R17s and mine measured at 34.54" when they're spec'd at 34.57.

Those specific tires held 3195lbs at each corner and where a great tire that I got 55k~ out of.

I like to change things up and decided to switch to the AT3 XLTs this spring because I was curious.

They ride really nice and I like them a bit better than the S/T Maxxs.

The AT3s also support 3195lbs in the 315/70/R17(34.33" and mine were spot on to spec).

They tow great and handle rain very well. I also like that they kick gravel up the least of these three tires.

With the weight ratings of these tires, after a chalk test, I run 57lbs in the front and 50lbs in the rear and my tires are wearing nice and evenly at 8k mile changes.

I'm due up for my third change and I'll measure them and get back to you.

Also, the S/T Maxx at 315/70/R17 are a D rated tire while the AT3 XLTs are an E rated.

I will likely continue running the AT3s if I get good life from them.

3. Thanks steadly2004 thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Nitto 420S is the road tire I see most often on trucks.

For a 17" rim though, they only offer a 275/60/r17 so it's only like 30x10.8" - ish.

I am thinking about giving them a try on my next set just to change things up, but I also have 20" rims and can get ~32x12.5 in a 20.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

5. Thanks steadly2004 thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    Nitto 420S is the road tire I see most often on trucks.

For a 17" rim though, they only offer a 275/60/r17 so it's only like 30x10.8" - ish.

I am thinking about giving them a try on my next set just to change things up, but I also have 20" rims and can get ~32x12.5 in a 20.
    Thanks!

I just saw a YouTube video with newer Nitto 420v, I think it’s similar.

Looks like they only have 20” though.

Would get me to 33” tire and load rated for our big trucks.

Unfortunately I recently sold my stock 20” wheels and tires after running the 17” for a while.

I wanted more rubber to make it soft.

But now that I’m doing a 2nd gen swap I’m thinking of taking it easy on the trans and acquiring more grip.

Being low on funds, I don’t think I can swing another wheel swap.

So I’ll probably I will run these out a bit longer.

7. Likes 6.7 Coal Train liked this post