Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  133
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Brake Question

1. Top Of Page | #1

Exhaust Brake Question

Hey folks I hope all is well with everyone.

Had a question or 2 about the exhaust brake.

I've read a few articles, seen a few youtube videos that suggest you should run with the exhaust brake on at all times.

Is this true?

If so why?

Also, along the same vane when warming up my truck in the morning why does it warm up faster with the exhaust brake on vs off?

It even states this in the owner's manual. guess I need to be schooled on exhaust brakes.

Thanks for the education.

Bob

2. Thanks watersupply189, timshooter40 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Exhaust Brake Question

The exhaust brake when used will close the vanes to create backpressure/load on the motor.

Opening and closing the vanes prevents them from being caked with exhaust residue.

With the vanes closed at warm up it puts a load on the engine to help it warm faster.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Exhaust Brake Question

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    The exhaust brake when used will close the vanes to create backpressure/load on the motor.

Opening and closing the vanes prevents them from being caked with exhaust residue.

With the vanes closed at warm up it puts a load on the engine to help it warm faster.
    Everything TexNeck said, plus it saves on brake pads and sounds cool.

But seriously the main benefit of running it all the time is in keeping the soot from building up on the turbo vanes which can eventually lead to turbo failure.

I bought my truck used with 55,000 miles on it, deleted it at around 70,000 and had the turbo seize at around 90,000.

Based on the turbo failure I'm guessing the previous owner did not run the exhaust brake very often.

I ran it pretty regularly before the turbo replacement but now it's always on.

2011 Ram 3500 SLT, 6.7 Cummins. 4.10 gears 68RFE Transmission. RaceMe Ultra with Warp Tuning by DRD, DDP Hooligan turbo, GDP Air Boss grid delete, S-2 Intake manifold and Mega-Flow TVM Grid Heater. 4 inch superlift lift kit with Bilstein shocks, dual steering stabilizer. 35x12.5x20 Toyo AT3s on black KMC XD795 wheels. Fender flares, N-Fab 6 step nerf bars.
    Honestly it's just a tow rig...

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Exhaust Brake Question

Quote Originally Posted by Rtetrault View Post
    Everything TexNeck said, plus it saves on brake pads and sounds cool.
    But seriously the main benefit of running it all the time is in keeping the soot from building up on the turbo vanes which can eventually lead to turbo failure.

I bought my truck used with 55,000 miles on it, deleted it at around 70,000 and had the turbo seize at around 90,000.

Based on the turbo failure I'm guessing the previous owner did not run the exhaust brake very often.

I ran it pretty regularly before the turbo replacement but now it's always on.
    We had about same turbo life.

My 13 I bought with 58k deleted at 60k and turbo actuator quit at 85k.

If ran EB full time.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Exhaust Brake Question

Quote Originally Posted by SummerCowboy View Post
    Hey folks I hope all is well with everyone.

Had a question or 2 about the exhaust brake.

I've read a few articles, seen a few youtube videos that suggest you should run with the exhaust brake on at all times.

Is this true?

If so why?

Also, along the same vane when warming up my truck in the morning why does it warm up faster with the exhaust brake on vs off?

It even states this in the owner's manual. guess I need to be schooled on exhaust brakes.

Thanks for the education.

Bob
    Yup.... leave it on. Its better

Seized
    turbo vanes are a PITA

I got 70 on mine and no trouble outta that yet. Got a guy I work with though had his go kaputzky at 49K.

Good stuff.... Truckers bring it

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Exhaust Brake Question

I am the original owner of mine and it has not been off since 457 miles on odo. Ill let yall know if it ever fails LOL. Only 95k so far

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Exhaust Brake Question

Quote Originally Posted by Badger2078 View Post
    I am the original owner of mine and it has not been off since 457 miles on odo. Ill let yall know if it ever fails LOL. Only 95k so far

Hopefully never.

Heard tell a turbo actuator's a right expensive part.

Good stuff.... Truckers bring it

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Exhaust Brake Question

My brother's failed at 270k 08 he had to replace the turbo.

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust Brake Question

Leave it on Full Exhaust Brake all the time!

If you're tuned, it should stay on at every startup or whatever you had it set before you shut her down.

I come across a lot of people that don't use that exhaust brake at all, deleted or not, and it baffles the hell out of me.

Personally I think that's why there is an abundance of VGT turbo failures in the 6.7's.

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust Brake Question

Quote Originally Posted by TheJonJon View Post
    Leave it on Full Exhaust Brake all the time! If you're tuned, it should stay on at every startup or whatever you had it set before you shut her down.
    I come across a lot of people that don't use that exhaust brake at all, deleted or not, and it baffles the hell out of me...personally I think that's why there is an abundance of VGT turbo failures in the 6.7's.
    Agreed!

Plus it wears out the brakes much sooner leaving the exhaust brake turned off.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast