Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  133
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Brake Question

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust Brake Question

I leave mine on all the time actuator failed at 100K.

Would like to have the turbo running for as long as possible.

Also the new actuator from city diesel cycles the VGT upon startup I believe to clear any soot buildup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald636 View Post
    Also the new actuator from city diesel cycles the VGT upon startup I believe to clear any soot buildup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Correct, it wipes the vanes/does a self test on every key cycle thus preventing soot and carbon buildup.

The actuator motor also has twice the amount of torque that the factory actuator has.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Best to leave it on all the time.

Use Auto when unloaded and Full when pulling.

As stated above the reasons as to why are facts.

I use mine on auto every day and have since 8mi on the odo.

My 15 was the same.

If my actuator fails though I will be going 2nd Gen swap and fixed geometry.

I hate how the exhaust brake sounds, especially on cold starts where the brake kicks in.

I can’t start my truck in the morning under 40* because it sounds like a GD Lear jet and I’ll get evicted LOL.

I just find the sound annoying but the functionality is on point.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

4. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Agreed!

Plus it wears out the brakes much sooner leaving the exhaust brake turned off.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

Is there any truth to turning it off in colder temperatures or winter driving conditions?

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyDean360 View Post
    Is there any truth to turning it off in colder temperatures or winter driving conditions?
    Leaving it on in colder temps help the truck warm up faster.

I recommend turning it off when roads are slick (heavy rain, snow, ice) because it will definitely cause you to lose control if your not careful.

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

8. Thanks Teflon, BobbyDean360, jarce71 thanked for this post
    Likes timshooter40, Teflon, AK Bob, BobbyDean360 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Leaving it on in winter warm up truck faster, turn it off when driving in icy or snow covered roads. For getting to turn it off on icy roads and having it come on gives a hole new meaning to but pucker Ask me how I know
    I for got to turn mine off .

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

10. Thanks watersupply189, Teflon, BobbyDean360, jarce71 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timshooter40 View Post
    Leaving it on in winter warm up truck faster, turn it off when driving in icy or snow covered roads. For getting to turn it off on icy roads and having it come on gives a hole new meaning to but pucker Ask me how I know
    I for got to turn mine off .
    I had a buddy tell me to shut it off in winter driving conditions when I got my first Cummins which was a 2007.5 68RFE. I have always turned it off since. Was just wanting to make a comment for someone else to see who might not know. Example as to why. I had a 2001 NV5600 (I think that is right) that I installed a PacBrake exhaust brake on and on my first drive with with it and downshifted pretty fast to see the power of the exhaust brake. I locked the rear end up on dry pavement, if that were snow it could have been bad.

12. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

While I agree with all the statements above, I would like to add that the abruptness of the exhaust brake as it relates to winter driving is also dependent on what transmission you have. With my Aisin I drive all winter on snow and ice with my exhaust brake on and find it very reassuring and safe. I am sure if I had a standard shift l would be singing a different tune.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

13. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, Murph liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    While I agree with all the statements above, I would like to add that the abruptness of the exhaust brake as it relates to winter driving is also dependent on what transmission you have. With my Aisin I drive all winter on snow and ice with my exhaust brake on and find it very reassuring and safe. I am sure if I had a standard shift l would be singing a different tune.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

I guarantee you would be singing a different tune with a manual. Been there done that! LOL

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

15. Thanks AK Bob, jarce71 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, timshooter40, Murph liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

I drive semi-trucks and trailers all the time being in the construction side of Army corps, and I can assure you keep the exhaust brake off on snow-covered roads or you will have a but pucker moment.

I have even had one in my rig coming off the roads here because I forgot to take it off.

Most of the grades here though are 7% and twisty turney roads.

Lessons learned.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

17. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Murph liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast