Thanks Thanks:  34
Likes Likes:  75
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant Leak

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Coolant Leak

I have been chasing down a small intermittent coolant leak (occasional drip) for several months and looks like I finally found it.

I used my Endoscope to take these photos.

From what I can tell it appears to me that somehow the actuator case has been damaged or cracked and coolant is leaking from the lower retaining bolt.

I am thinking I can remove the actuator and replace with the City Diesel actuator.

Any ideas or comments are welcome, before I place my order with @DDP.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Coolant Leak

Great luck Sir, I've often wondered how difficult it is to replace that actuator.

3. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I have been chasing down a small intermittent coolant leak (occasional drip) for several months and looks like I finally found it.

From what I can tell it appears to me that somehow the actuator case has been damaged or cracked and coolant is leaking from the lower retaining bolt.

I am thinking I can remove the actuator and replace with the City Diesel actuator.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...70d4668523.png

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2756ec930b.png

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

I see the pics now, wow. We're pre selling the actuators with currently a small list but we have shipments coming in frequently so the quicker the better depending on how quick you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    Great luck Sir, I've often wondered how difficult it is to replace that actuator.
    It's not too bad of a job, remove the wheel liner, drain coolant and replace.

• Drain the coolant
    • Remove the four 5mm Allen-head bolts holding the actuator to the turbo.
    • Check to make sure the gear that the actuator moves on the turbo is free.
    • Separate the actuator shell by removing the 4 torx bit screws holding it together.
    • Join our actuator to your gearbox with the included screws. (It is very important that the turbo be completely dry before installing the new actuator.If not, and the circuit board is fried, we WILL void the warranty)
    • Bolt the assembly back on to your turbo with the included new 5mm Allen-head bolts.
    • Replace the coolant.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Coolant Leak

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    I see the pics now, wow. We're pre selling the actuators with currently a small list but we have shipments coming in frequently so the quicker the better depending on how quick you need it.

It's not too bad of a job, remove the wheel liner, drain coolant and replace.

• Drain the coolant
    • Remove the four 5mm Allen-head bolts holding the actuator to the turbo.
    • Check to make sure the gear that the actuator moves on the turbo is free.
    • Separate the actuator shell by removing the 4 torx bit screws holding it together.
    • Join our actuator to your gearbox with the included screws. (It is very important that the turbo be completely dry before installing the new actuator.If not, and the circuit board is fried, we WILL void the warranty)
    • Bolt the assembly back on to your turbo with the included new 5mm Allen-head bolts.
    • Replace the coolant.
    Thanks will call tomorrow to order and get on the list.

Edit: I went ahead and ordered on your website.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks cumminsdieselfreak thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks will call tomorrow to order and get on the list.

Edit: I went ahead and ordered on your website.

Sorry for the delay!

Thanks so much @AK Bob your business means the world to us and we look forward to earning it again soon!

You still better call either way so we can chit chat!

Clayton

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Thanks AK Bob, Murph thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...70d4668523.png

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2756ec930b.png

Wow Bob good catch on that! When you do replace the actuator can you post some pics of the process?

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

10. Likes SyN, AK Bob, timshooter40, Abgunnar liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Coolant Leak

In my experience on a 2013, the access to the lower left actuators Allen bolt, between the shock tower, is extremely tight. So tight it requires cutting the end of a long 5mm Allen wrench to engage. Also the poor stock actuators lower half casting design, exposes the lower Allen bolt threads to the environment which is prone to corrosion. Spraying liquid wrench or equivalent really helped me free things up.

Eric
    2013 / 3500 Tradesman / 6.7L / G56 / CCLB / SWD

12. Thanks AK Bob, Murph thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Wow Bob good catch on that! When you do replace the actuator can you post some pics of the process?

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!
    Yes, will do.

14. Thanks watersupply189, Jwaller thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Coolant Leak

My City Diesel Actuator arrived yesterday and I installed today. Thanks Clayton @DDP for the excellent service. All went well no problems or difficulties. I will post some photos. I removed the inner fender well on the passenger side, pulled the grill and drained the coolant (approximately 4.5 Gallons) at the radiator petcock using 1/2” ID hose and modified a 17mm socket to loosen the drain on drivers side. Found my actuator was leaking at the gaskets and some coolant made it’s way to the actuator gear. The gear under the actuator was nice and free and could I move from stop to stop with one finger. Cleaned up the turbo mating surface and carefully installed the new actuator following the excellent instructions provided. Filled the system using the vacuum method to put back what I took out. Took it out for a test drive no problems, no leaks or codes.

16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

My City Diesel Actuator arrived yesterday and I installed today. Thanks Clayton @DDP for the excellent service. All went well no problems or difficulties. I will post some photos. I pulled the grill and drained the coolant (approximately 4.5 Gallons) at the radiator petcock using 1/2” ID hose and modified a 17mm socket to loosen the drain. Found my actuator was leaking at the gaskets and some coolant made it’s way to the actuator gear. The gear under the actuator was nice and free and could I move from stop to stop with one finger. Cleaned up the turbo mating surface and carefully installed the new actuator following the excellent instructions provided. Filled the system using the vacuum method to put back what I took out. Took it out for a test drive no problems, no leaks or codes.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e2e85f01ca.jpg
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...07381c4057.jpg
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f5f28d6c96.jpg
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ad8ea39523.jpg
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...30b7ae685b.jpg
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8956d1d9f0.jpg
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3b55a6232a.jpg

Glad we got you fixed up! What mileage are you at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Thanks AK Bob, tysonj39 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast