Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  39
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charging Batteries

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Charging Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I do the same as Bob - I have Noco Quick connects on both batteries - but normally only connect to drivers side - after about 6 hours - My Noco G750 shows both batteries are fully charged.

I do this at least 3 times a month.
    And here I thought I was AR

I don't have a garage, which makes trickle charging a little sketchy at best. Actually, my wife has a garage. I don't. It's a two car but half of it is dedicated to tools, a workbench, riding mower and things I haven't seen in ten years. Ergo, one car fits in it.

And looking at your picture, I wonder if your truck will fit under your garage door opening. Mine will fit the front half under it but I worry about the back half...... I have a cab-height cap but the back sits higher. At least we don't get snow and freezing rain down here. That's what hurts a vehicle, IMHO. Rain gets on it and between the seams and cracks and crannies, then freezes. And we all know what happens when water freezes. Of course, the sun doesn't do the paint any good.

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Abgunnar View Post
    I charge from the driver's side with a battery tender junior.

When it’s charging both batteries will read 13.2 or whatever it’s charging at they are in parallel.

Just a note battery tender says to put negative wire from tender on the other battery when the charger is putting out more then 1 amp while charging.
    I don't quite understand that. I would think the battery charger doesn't care where it's grounded as long as it's somewhere on the vehicle.

You learn something every day

4. Likes watersupply189, Abgunnar, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I am by no means an expert but this is my personal experience. I have 4 batteries total on my truck 2 in engine bay, one behind rear seat, and last on being in camper. To the two starter batteries I have a SPod with voltage meter hooked to one and national Luna hooked to the other which has a battery meter reading the main battery as well as the accessory battery it is charging. The 4th can be charged by the camper it is in through the camper power wire. The battery in the camper is hooked by a 4 gage wire with 100 amp fuses on each end to to the auxiliary battery. Due to the batteries up front being connected they equalize and change at the same rate. I’m assuming this based on watching the voltage meters hooked to each battery while on charge. Even if charging the camper battery plugged into main power with 7 pin connected it will charge the truck batteries as well. Charge rate for truck batteries is dropped due to 16 gage wire and distance, but charge is still equal on each truck battery. This principle is also show in that the 7 pin wire is always hot on our trucks, and people have left camper hooked up ending up with dead truck batteries, due to batteries equalizing/pulling power from truck. Again I am no expert just spend too much time in my truck, and this is what I have observed.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

When I had my Harley, I went through batteries like crazy. It was the one thing I truly disliked about the bike.

Every time I started it, all the lights and gauges on the (aftermarket) speedo would need to be reset. Every time. Miles to empty, clock..... All of them. That thing pulled the battery down so bad every time I started it, all the gauges flipped out. And the Harley batteries were, and still are, AGM.

I kept it on a trickle charger and that would help until I turned it off and went to re-start it. Same thing. Flashing fuel light, clock set back to 0. Annoying. And the charging system was fine. Just that the batteries sucked.

So I went out and bought a Lithium battery. Payed a pretty penny for it, too. But that thing, you crank the engine and it sounded like it wanted to jump out of the bike. Loved it. It weighed nothing. I'm talking 5 pounds, tops.

I let it sit for a Summer, however, and it took a dump. Went and bought a Deka, a Yuasa.... Useless

Just thought of that for some odd reason.

So now, they're coming out with them for cars and trucks. Except I don't have $2,000 for batteries

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h7-rs/

antigravity-h7-group-94r-lithium-car-battery-new.jpg

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnthrope View Post
    And here I thought I was AR

And looking at your picture, I wonder if your truck will fit under your garage door opening. Mine will fit the front half under it but I worry about the back half...... I have a cab-height cap but the back sits higher. At least we don't get snow and freezing rain down here. That's what hurts a vehicle, IMHO. Rain gets on it and between the seams and cracks and crannies, then freezes. And we all know what happens when water freezes. Of course, the sun doesn't do the paint any good.
    I wouldn't sit wondering very hard for very long - The JUDGE - Fits very nicely in our garage for over 354 days and nights through out the year.
    She only sits outside in the elements -Only-when the daughter comes home from school (for a few days) - I had no intentions of spending $60K on a New Truck and have it sit out in the elements 24/7. (Don't know - Just Me)

I did actually plan ahead and did some measurements on a co-workers 2016 2500 4WD Ram - before I even went looking for my new 4WD 2500.
    I did have to adjust my garage door to come up 2" higher - to clear the Shark Fin. (3min Fix).

I do Truly for your concern!

If still not a believer? Visit here and scroll down a few posts - You will see the JUDGE sitting comfortably in her spot!
    https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...n-of-The-JUDGE!

The only draw back to this story is - "If I want to keep her in the garage - A level or lift is totally out of the question."

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

10. Thanks MrAnthrope thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

When I had my Harley, I went through batteries like crazy. It was the one thing I truly disliked about the bike.

Every time I started it, all the lights and gauges on the (aftermarket) speedo would need to be reset. Every time. Miles to empty, clock..... All of them. That thing pulled the battery down so bad every time I started it, all the gauges flipped out. And the Harley batteries were, and still are, AGM.

I kept it on a trickle charger and that would help until I turned it off and went to re-start it. Same thing. Flashing fuel light, clock set back to 0. Annoying. And the charging system was fine. Just that the batteries sucked.

So I went out and bought a Lithium battery. Payed a pretty penny for it, too. But that thing, you crank the engine and it sounded like it wanted to jump out of the bike. Loved it. It weighed nothing. I'm talking 5 pounds, tops.

I let it sit for a Summer, however, and it took a dump. Went and bought a Deka, a Yuasa.... Useless

So now, they're coming out with them for cars and trucks. Except I don't have $2,000 for batteries

antigravity-h7-group-94r-lithium-car-battery-new.jpg
    Dang now that’s one heck of a battery!! Would Cost you an arm and a leg but dang!

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

12. Likes SyN, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Lots of offshore boaters are going lithium and other chemistries but there's a lot more involved that just changing the batteries.

You have to change your charge controller, and with our trucks being charged with a computer, you get a nice engine light every time you start the truck.

Plus, for a good external voltage regulator to keep that $2000 battery, you're looking at around $350 plus changing out the alternator (up to $1000 for a high amperage large body marine alternator) or just the back end with a retrofit kit.

As far as maintaining the lead acid or AGM batteries, as long as you hook to one battery you should be good.

They are in parallel and as long as you don't try to charge a low battery with a low amp smart charger you should be good (they tell you the batteries are bad because it doesn't come up in time).

Both my batteries were sitting at 6v after letting the truck sit for a week during a maintenance, and I threw my 15A charger on the driver battery and checked both daily to ensure they were indeed charging.

They both came up equally and sat at 13.2 which is fully charged for a yellow top Optima.

14. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12