Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: 3.42 Gears and 68RFE Trans

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

3.42 Gears and 68RFE Trans

I have a stock 2018 RAM 2500 with 3.42 gears on 35" tires which the dealer replaced the transmission at 36K miles due to clutch issues under warranty thankfully.

The trans is working fine but I find it shifting too early and not quick enough for my liking plus the engine only turns about 1100 to 1500 rpm max at freeway speeds.

I have ordered a programmer from DRD with trans tunes to hopefully tighten it up.

Does anybody else here have any experience with the tunes making it perform better at those low rpm and shifts on a stock transmission?

2. Likes AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 3.42 Gears and 68RFE Trans

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Willy View Post
    I have a stock 2018 RAM 2500 with 3.42 gears on 35" tires which the dealer replaced the transmission at 36K miles due to clutch issues under warranty thankfully.

The trans is working fine but I find it shifting too early and not quick enough for my liking plus the engine only turns about 1100 to 1500 rpm max at freeway speeds.

I have ordered a programmer from DRD with trans tunes to hopefully tighten it up.

Does anybody else here have any experience with the tunes making it perform better at those low rpm and shifts on a stock transmission?
    The tunes will help it quite a bit with the shifting.

I also put in the Revmax VB when I did mine.

Make sure you do the quick learn and relearn procedures for you transmission.

2016. Laramie 2500, 68RFE, CC 4x4. DRD Medical plan. factory rear air. 2” lift/level. 35x12.5, Revmax vb with deep pan. ARP 425 head studs.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

https://nextgendiesel.com/products/6...32949466300496

This plus DRD tuning is what I have done to mine... quite happy with it so far.... Im also running stock size tires... In my opinion 3.42 is really almost too much gear for stock tires ,I would not put oversize tires on my truck without changing ratio. But I tow often.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Tunes will help, but you are going to have to work the "manual" shift lockout buttons to keep the trans from shifting early, if you want to maintain >1500 RPM on a regular basis.

For example: 25mph I have to lock to 3rd to stay around 1600rpm or it will shift to 4th and roll @ 1100 rpm.

55 mph I have to lock to 5th to stay around 1600 rpm or it will shift to 6th.

It just really wants to cruise/lug at that low low RPM for whatever reason if I don't intervene manually.

This could be totally whack thinking, but I do think locking out gears manually, where I actually would like them to shift, has helped it "learn" over time a little bit and it will hold lower gears slightly longer than it used to.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

6. Likes Mdavlee liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Call RedHorse Motorsports and order a valve body or RevMax is good.

No Next Gen unless you want to waste your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes Chrisn162001, Mdavlee liked this post