Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil On Air Filter

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Oil On Air Filter

I did an air filter change today with all the other regular stuff.

I did make a 3200-mile trip this summer.

I'm averaging about 10k miles a year but probably did double that this year with many trips.

There was a lot of sand and oil. I drive about 10mph on a dirt road at our camp property, but not every day, maybe average every other week, and back and forth across the road a dozen times during the weekend. 40% of the year, it's not dusty during the FL rainy season.

Maybe I'm just not used to the air intake power on diesel and everything it can suck up.

It never looked this bad before, though.

How often do you guys change your filters? I do once a year.

Why would a dark oil residue be on the air filter?

From what I can tell, the air comes up through the wheel well.

I don't see a return hose of any sort going to the filter side of the intake.

Could I really pick up that much oil from the road, or am I missing something that could be going bad or is messed up?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

2012 2500 ST w/ manmual 4x4 from the auction w 16k miles - Upgrades so far - Leather, LED bed lights, HID projectors, Nav = Appradio3 w ARU unchained reloaded full touch screencast & tailgate handle backup camera, homemade front hitch and reciever w 12k lb winch, reverse lights, soft open tailgate, transfercase linkage mod, Ultra and deletes, folding back seat mod, Kicker hideaway under drivers seat, Fumoto valve and safety clip, new warrantied turbo at 16k. Rocker Aux panel switches, Ford fold away bed extender, inverter outlet mod, soon an overhead console. Pulling a 2001 Prokat 2200WA around on my days off.

2. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Oil On Air Filter

Quote Originally Posted by Stewbuntu View Post
    I did an air filter change today with all the other regular stuff.

I did make a 3200-mile trip this summer.

I'm averaging about 10k miles a year but probably did double that this year with many trips.

There was a lot of sand and oil. I drive about 10mph on a dirt road at our camp property, but not every day, maybe average every other week, and back and forth across the road a dozen times during the weekend. 40% of the year, it's not dusty during the FL rainy season.

Maybe I'm just not used to the air intake power on diesel and everything it can suck up.

It never looked this bad before, though.

How often do you guys change your filters? I do once a year.

Why would a dark oil residue be on the air filter?

From what I can tell, the air comes up through the wheel well.

I don't see a return hose of any sort going to the filter side of the intake.

Could I really pick up that much oil from the road, or am I missing something that could be going bad or is messed up?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...785f77be85.jpg

I am thinking perhaps they are oiling down that dirt road for dust control and you are picking up the airborne residue.

Hopefully others will chime in.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Interesting.

I thought it was a normal thing. I have a k&n drop-in filter.

It looked like that and was very dirty, covered in thick grime.

I was surprised by how bad it was also.

I wasn’t sure even how any air was getting through it.

2016. Laramie 2500, 68RFE, CC 4x4. DRD Medical plan. factory rear air. 2” lift/level. 35x12.5, Revmax vb with deep pan. ARP 425 head studs.

6. Likes watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

My filter looks like that after 10k miles.

Only thing I can figure is when it rains all the oils on the roadway gets kicked backup into the air filter which is why there is an oily residue.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

8. Thanks toyota_mdt_tech thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, AK Bob, toyota_mdt_tech liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I'm thinking the air flow is so high it pulls in a lot of stuff 1 vs a normal truck.

If its pulling in moisture from the road maybe its sucking oil residue up there also.

2012 2500 ST w/ manmual 4x4 from the auction w 16k miles - Upgrades so far - Leather, LED bed lights, HID projectors, Nav = Appradio3 w ARU unchained reloaded full touch screencast & tailgate handle backup camera, homemade front hitch and reciever w 12k lb winch, reverse lights, soft open tailgate, transfercase linkage mod, Ultra and deletes, folding back seat mod, Kicker hideaway under drivers seat, Fumoto valve and safety clip, new warrantied turbo at 16k. Rocker Aux panel switches, Ford fold away bed extender, inverter outlet mod, soon an overhead console. Pulling a 2001 Prokat 2200WA around on my days off.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    My filter looks like that after 10k miles.

Only thing I can figure is when it rains all the oils on the roadway gets kicked backup into the air filter which is why there is an oily residue.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!
    Haha we wrote the same thing at the same time.

Like you said It must be bc of the huge volume of air being pulled in.

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

The so call oil on the road can be oil but is a lot of tire residual from all that traffic.

And if it was that, your inner fender well and tire walls would have a coating.

Is you inner air box loaded with this?

This might sound a bit strange, but what does it smell like?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

14. Likes Stewbuntu, watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=AnOldBiker;202503]The so call oil on the road can be oil but is a lot of tire residual from all that traffic.

And if it was that, your inner fender well and tire walls would have a coating.

Is you inner air box loaded with this?

This might sound a bit strange, but what does it smell like?

However, with the amount of air/cfm going through that box it may go straight to the filter.

16. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I bought my truck with an aftermarket air box and swapped it out with a Banks air box.

My new filter has a pre-filter on it, but it's never oily when I pull it out and it's been on for over 30k miles now.

With the volume of air diesels pull in I wouldn't think any oil would go back up the air hoses like a naturally aspirated gas engine can.

I'd be inclined to think it must be the oils on the road being picked up.

When the tar heats up, there's a little bit of oil that can come out when it's squeezed, like when our heavy trucks drive over them but that sure seems like a lot.

18. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Kind of off topic but I always wondered how the stock cold air box can sense when the outside fresh air from the front of the truck is a good weather day and switch to the fender well intake on bad weather days.

There’s mass air and intake temp sensors so how does it tell when it's raining out?

Ha.

2013 3500 6.7 Cummins Crew Cab Stock

Eric
    2013 / 3500 Tradesman / 6.7L / G56 / CCLB / SWD

20. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast