Likes Likes:  57
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BD Diesel Air Intake Heater Kit

1. Top Of Page | #21
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

BD Diesel Air Intake Heater Kit

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Could be- so you can’t just “double tap” it to skip preheat?
    I guess if you press it fast enough you might be able to actually skip it vs canceling it once it’s started.

By the time it says pre heat on dash it’s already activated the heater and found out it’s not there.

Mine would show the pre heat warning on the dash and pop cel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Re: BD Diesel Air Intake Heater Kit

Theory of Operation: Heating the inlet air during cold temperatures will increase the fuel efficiency and improves system performance. An Intake Air Heater is used for this purpose. The Intake Air Heater works in two phases, preheat phase (before engine starts) and post heat phase (after engine starts). Preheat phase typically heats the Intake Air Heater coil during the key-on for about 10 seconds to 75 seconds depending on inlet air temperature. The PCM controls Intake Air Heater operation with the Intake Air Heater Relay, which is located directly behind the air filter box under the fresh air hose. The Intake Air Heater Relay is not a typical type of relay due to the amount of current passing through it. The Intake Air Heater Relay visually resembles a solenoid in appearance. The Intake Air Heater monitor looks for a change in battery voltage as the heater is turned on and off during preheat, to indicate proper operation. The Intake Air Heater performance DTC is a two trip fault. The PCM will turn off the MIL lamp when the monitor runs and passes in 4 consecutive drive cycles.

Note: If the intake grid heater stays on for an extended period of time due to an electrical circuit failure, the intake grid heater element can cause heat damage to the grid heater terminal. This can lead to open circuits or potentially cause engine damage. Engine damage can occur when the bolt and nut from the intake grid heater terminal falls off into the cylinder head intake.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    What year is your truck? The pcm will not think the heaters on by disconnecting it at the heater or the solenoid. The system detects faults in the heater circuit by either voltage drop or amp draw I can’t remember which one.

The solenoid is not gonna take enough of either to satisfy the pcm. The heater needs to be activated to drop voltage or draw the amps.

You can probably get around it by turning the key straight to start (bypassing the wait to start) but if it gets the command from the pcm and doesn’t see a response it’s gonna pop a cel.

Now I don’t know for certain about earlier trucks I know 14 up use this strategy I would have to do more digging to verify early trucks.

Its a 14, I’ll wait till later and try starting it with the power wire disconnected and see if I get a cel.

When I tested it earlier it was like 50 degrees out and it preheated very quick.

I’ll see what happens later.

2014 2500 on Fuel rims, custom aluminum grill emblem, mm3 DRD tuned, 4” jamo tbe exhaust, led fog lights, steering box brace, took Vinyl off doors.

6. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, BlackBart liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

I emailed BD diesel about there heater kit and he said it should be sufficient to what the original grid heater is.

2014 2500 on Fuel rims, custom aluminum grill emblem, mm3 DRD tuned, 4” jamo tbe exhaust, led fog lights, steering box brace, took Vinyl off doors.

8. Likes AK Bob, flanagan, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

So I just tried starting it with the power wire off it was 50 degrees in the garage and the truck said 48.

The preheat came on on the bottom left of the dash and I had to wait but it didn’t say preheat in process after waiting a few seconds the preheat went away on the left the truck started and I had no CEL.

Hopefully it’s colder tomorrow and I’ll try again.

10. Likes SyN, AK Bob, timshooter40, BlackBart liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

I was wanting to do the same thing with my banks intake was just wanting to see if some had and if they had photos of it installed.

12. Likes Abgunnar, timshooter40 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

So I had the positive wire off the battery from the grid heater really and started the truck when I got home from work.

It was 45 in the garage and the truck water temp was 42 when I hit the start button twice the truck did a preheat on the screen and in the bottom left of the screen.

Waited to start the truck started and no cell.

I let it run for a little and ran it through the gears and shut off.

I waited for about an hour and did a remote start and it worked and no cel.

So it seems ok and it won’t throw a code.

Now I just need to convince my wife to let me order stuff.

14. Likes AK Bob, BlackBart, cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Good info here!

I am glad I don’t sound like a mad man now saying it can be done.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Thanks Abgunnar thanked for this post
    Likes Abgunnar, BlackBart liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Good info here!

I am glad I don’t sound like a mad man now saying it can be done.
    So it was 17 below yesterday after work and went to remote start the the truck NO GO.

Batteries just don't have the juice they used to have so we jumped it.

It stumbled and smoked for about 15 seconds so put the exhaust brake on and lo and behold the leak I have been searching for showed up at the turbo to manifold with all the white smoke coming out like crazy.

Obviously blown out gasket.

So just wondering if this might be the cause of my lower boost and higher EGT's ?

O and am happy it did start with the grid delete and banks horn with the BD heater.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

18. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flanagan View Post
    So it was 17 below yesterday after work and went to remote start the the truck NO GO.

Batteries just don't have the juice they used to have so we jumped it.

It stumbled and smoked for about 15 seconds so put the exhaust brake on and lo and behold the leak I have been searching for showed up at the turbo to manifold with all the white smoke coming out like crazy.

Obviously blown out gasket.

So just wondering if this might be the cause of my lower boost and higher EGT's ?

O and am happy it did start with the grid delete and banks horn with the BD heater.

Well is this a big enough leak.

To make me lose boost and higher EGTs'?

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/60303f63...219_102208.mp4

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast