Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  52
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unplugging Grid Heater

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Unplugging Grid Heater

I agree! I had no clue it stayed energized after starting and running.

Makes a fella want to get the engine up to temp ASAP.
    The longer this unit stays energized the more there could be major issues (Especially if that bolt is even some what loose)

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Re: Unplugging Grid Heater

Just a little more information to back up the previous posts.

Theory of Operation: Heating the inlet air during cold temperatures will increase the fuel efficiency and improves system performance. An Intake Air Heater is used for this purpose. The Intake Air Heater works in two phases, preheat phase (before engine starts) and post heat phase (after engine starts). Preheat phase typically heats the Intake Air Heater coil during the key-on for about 10 seconds to 75 seconds depending on inlet air temperature. The PCM controls Intake Air Heater operation with the Intake Air Heater Relay, which is located directly behind the air filter box under the fresh air hose. The Intake Air Heater Relay is not a typical type of relay due to the amount of current passing through it. The Intake Air Heater Relay visually resembles a solenoid in appearance. The Intake Air Heater monitor looks for a change in battery voltage as the heater is turned on and off during preheat, to indicate proper operation. The Intake Air Heater performance DTC is a two trip fault. The PCM will turn off the MIL lamp when the monitor runs and passes in 4 consecutive drive cycles.

Note: If the intake grid heater stays on for an extended period of time due to an electrical circuit failure, the intake grid heater element can cause heat damage to the grid heater terminal. This can lead to open circuits or potentially cause engine damage. Engine damage can occur when the bolt and nut from the intake grid heater terminal falls off into the cylinder head intake.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks TexNeck thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, TexNeck liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123