Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: OBD2 Splitter for Tuning

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

OBD2 Splitter for Tuning

Anyone run into an issue with using an OBD2 splitter for a display monitor and tuning? My better half is getting me a Edge Insight CTS3 for Xmas. Right now though I am tuning my rig with HP Tuners and I have my old Mini-Maxx I want to use for a monitor. The problem I run into is when the H&S is hooked up, my MVPIv2 won't connect to the ECU. I haven't sniffed the bus, but I am guessing the H&S is reading the PIDs and locking out the protocol while it is connected. I have tried two different splitters and have the same issue. Is there one that has a sort of write block in it where the H&S can just sniff the traffic so I can have both connected at the same time? Will the CTS3 do the same thing?

Thanks
    -Muzzy

2008 Megacab 4x4 G56 Trans - All mods lost in boating accident - EFI Live by Muzzy, 2nd gen S467.7/83/1.0, Banks Monster Ram, 5" Exhaust, Grid Heater Delete, Rail Plug, BD Flowmax LP, SB Clutch, Fuel Sump -8AN line, Bilstein 5100s, Cali Track Bar, Dynatec B-joints, Level Springs, 1" Lift Shackles Rear, Royal Purple Lubricants...there is probably more that I forgot.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: OBD2 Splitter for Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzy View Post
    Anyone run into an issue with using an OBD2 splitter for a display monitor and tuning? My better half is getting me a Edge Insight CTS3 for Xmas. Right now though I am tuning my rig with HP Tuners and I have my old Mini-Maxx I want to use for a monitor. The problem I run into is when the H&S is hooked up, my MVPIv2 won't connect to the ECU. I haven't sniffed the bus, but I am guessing the H&S is reading the PIDs and locking out the protocol while it is connected. I have tried two different splitters and have the same issue. Is there one that has a sort of write block in it where the H&S can just sniff the traffic so I can have both connected at the same time? Will the CTS3 do the same thing?

Thanks
    -Muzzy
    I don't know if this helps, but I have EZ Lynk and AMP steps using the OBD port and some people said that the EZ Lynk couldn't communicate properly because of the splitter but it works just fine.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I found on Amazon some OBD2 cables with power switches inline that interrupt the power pin on the OBD2 connector.

I might try that and rig up a remote switch so I can turn off my monitor while I am flashing my ECU.

Then I won't need to unplug the monitor every time I want to flash a tune update.

If that works I will figure a more refined way where maybe the monitor will auto power off when I plug in my MPVI2.

-Muzzy

2008 Megacab 4x4 G56 Trans - All mods lost in boating accident - EFI Live by Muzzy, 2nd gen S467.7/83/1.0, Banks Monster Ram, 5" Exhaust, Grid Heater Delete, Rail Plug, BD Flowmax LP, SB Clutch, Fuel Sump -8AN line, Bilstein 5100s, Cali Track Bar, Dynatec B-joints, Level Springs, 1" Lift Shackles Rear, Royal Purple Lubricants...there is probably more that I forgot.

6. Thanks Houston HB thanked for this post
    Likes Houston HB liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzy View Post

Thanks
    -Muzzy
    It's not ideal and kinda varies from truck to truck but it has been done. And tell your wife to hit us up for the CTS3!

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I have a cheapo amazon splitter on my truck and have no issues with my MM3.

I did my initial flash directly connected to the port, but everything after that has been through the splitter.

My last truck was the same way too.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Sorry, she had already snagged it from Summit Racing. However, next mods will include a duel fueler CP3 kits and some higher flow new injectors. I will ping you when I am ready for those mods.

Happy New Year
    -Muzzy

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Also, just an FYI.

I am able to tune with my HP Tuners MVPI2 with an OBD2 splitter going to my CTS3.

The CTS3 looks like it does not actively connect to the PCM to pull the logs like my old H&S did.

So far I like the CTS3.

My only complaint is there is no PID monitoring for injection timing.

I put a ticket in with Edge and they are supposedly working on it.

They pulled the data logs from my CM2100a to add whatever PIDs they can.

-Muzzy