Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: 47RE no reverse

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

47RE no reverse

My 98 just today decided that it no longer wants to go backwards. When it’s in reverse you can feel it trying to want to move, but it won’t really engage. It worked just fine yesterday. The transmission was rebuild 110,000 miles ago with some upgrades. I’m hoping it’s something simple I can fix from under the truck. Where should I start looking?

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 47RE no reverse

Quote Originally Posted by Gump View Post
    My 98 just today decided that it no longer wants to go backwards. When it’s in reverse you can feel it trying to want to move, but it won’t really engage. It worked just fine yesterday. The transmission was rebuild 110,000 miles ago with some upgrades. I’m hoping it’s something simple I can fix from under the truck. Where should I start looking?
    Fluid level?

Do you warm the truck up in neutral or park?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2014 Ram 3500 mega cab srw, full thuren 2.5 kit, 38" toyos, 4.56 gears, revmax 850 68RFE, grid heater delete w/ monster ram, steedspeed manifold, Ats aurora 6000 add a turbo(s465), ARP 625s, pushrods & springs, 5" tbe, sb filter, stock fuel

4. Likes watersupply189, Murph liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Fluid is between the add and full mark while it’s cold idling in neutral. I warm it up in neutral with the brake set. It goes into the forward gears fine.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Well sounds like your doing that properly. We'll let someone that knows more than myself chime in next hopefully its an easy fix for you.

2014 Ram 3500 mega cab srw, full thuren 2.5 kit, 38" toyos, 4.56 gears, revmax 850 68RFE, grid heater delete w/ monster ram, steedspeed manifold, Ats aurora 6000 add a turbo(s465), ARP 625s, pushrods & springs, 5" tbe, sb filter, stock fuel

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Believe this is part of the snap ring from the overdrive drum. I dabble in the dark arts, but I’m no transmission expert. Assuming nothing else is trashed, any idea what this would cost to get fixed at a shop?

Attached Images Attached Images

10. Likes Murph, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Believe this is part of the snap ring from the overdrive drum. I dabble in the dark arts, but I’m no transmission expert. Assuming nothing else is trashed, any idea what this would cost to get fixed at a shop?
    Where is you find that at?

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

The pan

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

The pan
    Well I hate to be the guy to give you this news but no reputable shop is going to dive into your trans at that milage without a full rebuild. You might find a shop that won't insist on a converter, pump, and valve body, but that's a lot of risk on their end and yours with that many miles on it again.

16. Likes Murph, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Well I hope not. I want to sell the truck, and don’t want to dump $4-6000 into a new transmission.

18. Likes Murph, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I feel for you I'm in the process of rebuilding mine for the second time in 3 months either due to a faulty bearing or potentially my assembly.

I really do hope for the best for you.

20. Thanks Gump thanked for this post
    Likes Murph, watersupply189 liked this post