Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown Motor Advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

Blown Motor Advice

Good morning, I hope everyone is well.

Got a small problem and am looking for some advice.

By “small problem” I am referring to a 4” hole in the side of my block from where the first rod decided it wanted to see the light of day while coming back from an RZR riding trip.

The truck is a 2010 Ram 3500, that I did an EGR delete, 4” exhaust, and a programmer on.

Truck has 206k miles on it, and we did the delete about 60k miles ago. Knowing what I do now, I would have done the delete as soon as the warranty was up, not waiting for the diverter valve to start sticking shut, causing the famous sludge mess.

I liked the way the truck pulled whatever I put behind it before I did the delete, but I LOVED the way it pulled after the delete.

So, my dilemma now is what to do.

Do I go to Dodge and buy one of their long blocks for $15k that is ready to drop in and run (come complete with injectors, rockers, pushrods, etc.), put my delete set-up on it, and be on my way.

OR

Spend an additional $7k to $10k and get a built motor from an aftermarket company, and the bells and whistles that go with getting a built motor.

OR

Put a $6k junkyard motor in the truck and trade it in on new truck.

I do not know what to do.

Just looking into advice on what everyone thinks, because I do not know what the right answer is.

Also, if you are looking at an aftermarket company, who would you recommend.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Murph liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Blown Motor Advice

I would first off ask what is the power goal for it?

I have had a great experience with both D&J and Choate Engineering.

I have a D&J Street Performance and a Choate Workhorse.

I will say Choate is a little cheaper but other than that they both are great options.

The Street engine is in my 3500 Aisin with compound turbos and 150% overs, and the workhorse is in my 5500 tow rig.

Just a diesel enthusiast helping others:
    2015 3500 Mega Cab Aisin Leveled on 35's.
    2018 3500 Crew Cab G56 leveled on 35’s
    2021 3500 Mega Cab HO Aisin screaming eagles..

4. Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

Sorry to hear that friend.

I like your choice selections.

I would have the same dilemma as you.

Tough decisions.

From personal experiences only.

The newer trucks are super nice, ride great and you will pay for that.

I consider newer to be 4-5 years old. 4th and 5th Gens. Possibly could have more value down the road. Have you drove any of the newer year models?

I think anything with a custom built engine would be nice from the start.

We all bought these trucks for their CUMMINS, and we spend a lot of time and effort trying to “upgrade” them.... you would have that power, in a purpose built engine.

I bet that would be fun for sure.

This is my opinion only.

I will keep watching for what you decide!

p.s. - The less a dealer touches your truck, I think the better off you will be.

There are some crazy stories about dealerships on here.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Maybe you can find a good junkyard motor that will last you, and just keep it.

Probably be good for another 200k miles.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

8. Likes watersupply189, Mdavlee, Murph liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

CAM95-
    I don’t really have any power goals. My tunes were Towing +20, Street +60, and Performance +100. Those were fine with me, it would pull my 40 gooseneck anywhere I wanted, at whatever speed I wanted. Hardly every used Performance mode because it got better fuel milage in Street. I am looking more for something that gets good fuel milage on my daily drive, but still has the power to pull whatever it is I want down the road.

coryscummins
    -

I have driven a new Ram, in fact I pulled the trailer home with truck on it using my fathers 2019 Ram 3500 that has 6k miles on it. I was surprised at how smooth the power felt and more so about the fuel milage. Pulling my truck on a car trailer thru the hills of Missouri, his truck averaged a little over 14 mpg (on paper, not by what the computer said), which surprised me for a stock dually.

No dealer is going to touch anything associated with my truck. My buddy owns a shop that does warranty work for some of the dealers in our area, and he priced me the motor from Dodge, and would help me with the install.

6.7 Coal Train-
    Not that I have a problem with putting a junk yard motor in this truck but finding a good one is the problem. In our network of yards we do work for around here, the price for a running motor was $7k to $9500 with over 140k miles. The $6k motor could not be verified. Money is not the issue here, however I don’t like to throw good money at bad products. If I am going to keep this truck, I would rather start fresh with a new motor, that take on another problem child.

10. Likes SyN, watersupply189, 6.7 Coal Train liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I would just go with a choate engineering workhorse it’s good all around and I’m getting ready to throw one in a friends truck this weekend and the team over and choate will help with anything they can and will give you many options.

Just a diesel enthusiast helping others:
    2015 3500 Mega Cab Aisin Leveled on 35's.
    2018 3500 Crew Cab G56 leveled on 35’s
    2021 3500 Mega Cab HO Aisin screaming eagles..

12. Likes watersupply189, Mdavlee liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Rick: I have no advice for ya - but I do wish ya Good Luck in your Search and Making the right choice for your own personal needs & wants!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

Whatever you decide please post a picture!

Choate engineering looks dang nice, and 25% off all engines and free shipping for Black Friday sales.

That is a nice discount I would think.

16. Thanks Cam95 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, Cam95 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

My choice would be the built engine with ARB headstuds.

Might cost a bit more but if its built right you know whatever power you put to it the engine will handle it.

If you decide to upgrade or replace something like a turbo down the road there are no concerns of another rod getting a tan.

The above mentioned engines are a great choice and if its fits your budget even better.

My choice would be one of the Industrial Injection offerings.

I can't get the picture of a ZZ side draft intake sitting under the hood out of my head.

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

18. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

2018 srw 3500

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast