Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Underwood Ignition Source

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Underwood Ignition Source

I'm in the process of switching my alternator to an external voltage relay so the PCM isn't controlling my charging anymore.

I have a question for anyone who has done any mods underhood that needed an ignition source.

What is a good wire for ignition?

I know about a couple in the cab but wondered if anyone has used one in the engine bay.

I'm not yet at a point where I can have the batteries hooked up and forgot to find it before I tore everything apart.

Thanks

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Underwood Ignition Source

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    I'm in the process of switching my alternator to an external voltage relay so the PCM isn't controlling my charging anymore.

I have a question for anyone who has done any mods underhood that needed an ignition source.

What is a good wire for ignition?

I know about a couple in the cab but wondered if anyone has used one in the engine bay.

I'm not yet at a point where I can have the batteries hooked up and forgot to find it before I tore everything apart.

Thanks
    I am not aware of one that would provide enough amperage. I have tapped into the fuse box (TIPM) for ignition source for fogs etc but the alternator will be pulling quite a bit of voltage. Maybe hook into your grid heater power somehow?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Thanks MrAnderson thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Underwood Ignition Source

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    I am not aware of one that would provide enough amperage. I have tapped into the fuse box (TIPM) for ignition source for fogs etc but the alternator will be pulling quite a bit of voltage. Maybe hook into your grid heater power somehow?
    I'm going to install a relay and a bus bar to handle future needs. Yes, the alt needs up to 10 amps.

I finally had a chance to sit down with the book and find this and DANG, this is the F504 circuit that is all over the place.

It's only a 10A circuit which will be ok for my needs since I'm just using it as the trigger circuit for my relay.

This same circuit goes to the TPM, adjustable brake pedals, engine fan, and so many other places.

Thank you very much!

I knew someone had to have used an ignition source under the hood with success before.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk