Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  152
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: CP4 Question

1. Top Of Page | #61

User Info Menu

Re: CP4 Question

Seems like I should prepare myself for a CP3 swap or maybe there will be a disaster prevention kit like the Fords have.

Hard to think about putting a Band-Aid on it if you’re only gonna have to swap it down the road though.

I’m hopeful that since they’re going back to the CP3 in 2021 maybe something good will come out of it for the 19 and 20 owners but I’m not too hopeful.

2. Likes Mdavlee liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #62

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Userwog View Post
    Do you all think the CP4 would be fine to run with a fass lift pump and Opti-lube XPD additive, or do you think I should still do the CP3 retrofit?

I use it for work and will be putting roughly 100,000 miles/year on the truck.

Thanks in advance.
    Grapevine has indicated that FCA is voiding warranties for "non-approved" lubricity adders.

When a CP4 fails, FCA requires a fuel test to see if the fuel is contaminated.

Their determination of contaminated is quite gray.

I'd recommend using Diesel-Kleen since it is FCA/Cummins endorsed. Otherwise, I'm seeing news out of a few 5th gen groups that people are having CP3s installed by their dealer & having them covered under factory warranty.

With the 2021s now shipping with a CP3, my hope is that FCA will issue a full-scale recall, but it is unlikely.

However, you may be able to convince a dealer to convert yours since you're going to burn your factory warranty in one year.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #63

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Grapevine has indicated that FCA is voiding warranties for "non-approved" lubricity adders.

When a CP4 fails, FCA requires a fuel test to see if the fuel is contaminated.

Their determination of contaminated is quite gray.

I'd recommend using Diesel-Kleen since it is FCA/Cummins endorsed.
    Just my Personal Opinion & I'm not really concerned with what others think - but this is Sad that FCA has dropped to this level with this issue.

Next will be a short list of FCA (Approved) Petrol Station Brands (Companies) that will be acceptable for refueling.
    If you don't refuel with Their Approved List of so called Top Tier Diesel Fuel Stops (Shell - Chevron - Mobil - Phillips - Sinclair -Cenex) ->Examples
    You take the chance of this warranty being voided.

Interesting since every diesel pump in our area has posted a sticker @ the pump of a possible different % of Bio added.
    (Which We the owners have Zero control of)

A few posted HFRR tests of PS (Slick Diesel) additive over the years has not shown to have produced much better results then just plain (base line) ULSD diesel right out of the pump.

Most newer 6.7L owners don't have to research or even just observe very Long to realize - that FCA or Bosch isn't really placing its CP4 owners & future CP4 owners best interests first - Voiding their already weak warranty for attempting of prolong the life span of a already proven doomed design CP4 or possibly the entire fuel system design.

Not being a Smart A$$ - but my heart goes out to these newer owners nightmare dealing with this issue for the upcoming years.

Eddie took the time to tear one down and talked about what he found.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

6. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Mdavlee liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #64

User Info Menu

Kinda makes someone hope that they get it figured out before the warranty runs out and then have it fail.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #65

User Info Menu

Back in the day when I was a GM tech the Duramax came out in 01 and I was changing out CP3 pumps quit often.

Though everyone I changed out warranty requested it be sent in for inspection. E

veryone of them grenaded internally.

I did at one point open one up and took a look for myself, myself nor the other senior tech could come up with an explanation as to why it was happening.

The following year I left the dealer world and went to the oilfield and have not kept up with diesels until recent.

Have the CP3s had any upgrades for longevity or is this still an issue.

I know the CP4s are crap from what I have read about and my company pickup needing 2 replaced on it.

Would it be wise for me to replace the one on my own truck with a better unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #66

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Just my Personal Opinion & I'm not really concerned with what others think - but this is Sad that FCA has dropped to this level with this issue.

Next will be a short list of FCA (Approved) Petrol Station Brands (Companies) that will be acceptable for refueling.
    If you don't refuel with Their Approved List of so called Top Tier Diesel Fuel Stops (Shell - Chevron - Mobil - Phillips - Sinclair -Cenex) ->Examples
    You take the chance of this warranty being voided.

Interesting since every diesel pump in our area has posted a sticker @ the pump of a possible different % of Bio added.
    (Which We the owners have Zero control of)

A few posted HFRR tests of PS (Slick Diesel) additive over the years has not shown to have produced much better results then just plain (base line) ULSD diesel right out of the pump.

Most newer 6.7L owners don't have to research or even just observe very Long to realize - that FCA or Bosch isn't really placing its CP4 owners & future CP4 owners best interests first - Voiding their already weak warranty for attempting of prolong the life span of a already proven doomed design CP4 or possibly the entire fuel system design.

Not being a Smart A$$ - but my heart goes out to these newer owners nightmare dealing with this issue for the upcoming years.

Eddie took the time to tear one down and talked about what he found.

FCAs response is to build the 21+ trucks with a CP3 and pretty much give the middle finger to all 19-20 owners.

I mean lets be honest I used to throw 2 stroke oil in my 2015 and it worked great.

The thought of that in my 19 is probably enough to destroy my fuel system.

It's pretty disheartening across the board because they should have recalled the CP4 a long time ago and odds are they still won't despite reverting back to a design that never had issues.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

12. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Mdavlee liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #67

User Info Menu

What is the best additive to add to the diesel to give the CP3 some added lubricity?

14. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #68

User Info Menu

I truly have no clue what BEST actually means anymore.
    (I run a fuel additive based only off it's HFRR score - not due to others running it as well)

But - A CP3 owner can't go wrong with adding any of these (They all have put up very good HFRR scores) compared to base line ULSD from the pump.
    (This is a Very Unbiased List - Posted due to very good HFRR scores - when compared to plain ULSD).

1. Opti-Lube XPD or Lubricity
    2. Hot Shots Secret - EDT or LX4 (EDT now contains a % of LX4 in it's chemistry) - Inexpensive w/Free Shipping! (Diesel Extreme) -->
    3. Archoil - AR6500 or AR6200

All of these are easy to acquire - Via the Company Website or Amazon (Prime) with Free Shipping.
    Free Shipping without having to spend a ridiculously large amount of $$$ is in my book!

This is only my opinion - Note do not add TC-W3 oil to your fuel tank unless you are fully deleted.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

16. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Mdavlee, watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #69

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald636 View Post
    What is the best additive to add to the diesel to give the CP3 some added lubricity?

Hot Shot's or Amsoil.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

18. Likes watersupply189, Muzzy liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #70

User Info Menu

This article is a little older so there are some better products out today.

However, the information about fuel lubricity is still valid for those that want to know.

https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/...esults.177728/

-Muzzy

2008 Megacab 4x4 G56 Trans - All mods lost in boating accident - EFI Live by Muzzy, 2nd gen S467.7/83/1.0, Banks Monster Ram, 5" Exhaust, Grid Heater Delete, Rail Plug, BD Flowmax LP, SB Clutch, Fuel Sump -8AN line, Bilstein 5100s, Cali Track Bar, Dynatec B-joints, Level Springs, 1" Lift Shackles Rear, Royal Purple Lubricants...there is probably more that I forgot.

20. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast