Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Turbo and Exhaust Manifold Swap

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turbo and Exhaust Manifold Swap

I am currently traveling full time pulling a 45 ft toy hauler fifth wheel, and when coming into Colorado, I started noticing the normal symptoms of a turbo failure.

The exhaust brake stopped working, blowing tons of black smoke out the exhaust, etc.

I already had the Steed Speed t4i exhaust manifold waiting to get installed, so I went ahead and ordered a Fleece Cheetah VGT turbo to replace my turbo.

I got the old manifold and turbo removed after a few days of messing with it, and the new ones are back in.

I am about to get back on the road and finish my 1700 mile journey to Florida pulling a 20k lbs toy hauler, so I'm just trying to make sure i thought of everything I could check to make sure I won't have any issues.

Are there any standard things I can check to make sure I did everything correctly?

I am using an MM3 tuner and fully deleted using tunes from Ray at DRD.

There are no fluid leaks.

I've done several test drives and see no coolant or oil coming out.

The exhaust brake is working. Everything appears to be in good order.

I'm just a little paranoid, so I'm wondering if there's anything else I should check before I get back on the road.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo and Exhaust Manifold Swap

Quote Originally Posted by USMC77 View Post
    I am currently traveling full time pulling a 45 ft toy hauler fifth wheel, and when coming into Colorado, I started noticing the normal symptoms of a turbo failure.

The exhaust brake stopped working, blowing tons of black smoke out the exhaust, etc.

I already had the Steed Speed t4i exhaust manifold waiting to get installed, so I went ahead and ordered a Fleece Cheetah VGT turbo to replace my turbo.

I got the old manifold and turbo removed after a few days of messing with it, and the new ones are back in.

I am about to get back on the road and finish my 1700 mile journey to Florida pulling a 20k lbs toy hauler, so I'm just trying to make sure i thought of everything I could check to make sure I won't have any issues.

Are there any standard things I can check to make sure I did everything correctly?

I am using an MM3 tuner and fully deleted using tunes from Ray at DRD.

There are no fluid leaks.

I've done several test drives and see no coolant or oil coming out.

The exhaust brake is working. Everything appears to be in good order.

I'm just a little paranoid, so I'm wondering if there's anything else I should check before I get back on the road.
    If you don’t have a CEL and no leaking fluid, then job well done!

Relax and enjoy the ride!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Right on, I'm not planning on leaving until tomorrow and have a few errands today so I was going to keep monitoring it and checking for fluid leaks or anything out of the ordinary.

I work on computers for a living though, working on my truck is just a hobby so I'm always second guessing my work or wondering if I could have checked something else.

5. Likes SyN, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

How do you like the cheetah turbo?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

7. Likes timshooter40 liked this post