Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Oil Change Due Message

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Early Oil Change Due Message

I had my oil changed at 103k miles, and I'm currently just a smidge over 107k miles, and this morning.

I had the 'Oil Change Due' message pop up.

It's been colder the last few weeks here in Michigan, so it has been idling a little longer than 'normal' due to this, but i wouldn't call the idling excessive by any means.

Anyone know why it's popping up so 'early'?

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

2. Likes SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Early Oil Change Due Message

No body?

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

If I remember correctly the oil change light does take things like idle time and total engine rpm in account to when the alert pops up.

I have had it happen to me as well during the colder months.

2012 RAM 2500 Crew Cab SLT 6.7L.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

so should i change the oil at the 4k mark or should i still be ok to go until the normal 10k mile mark?

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJo View Post
    so should i change the oil at the 4k mark or should i still be ok to go until the normal 10k mile mark?
    I personally don't think that read out knows anything and would wait at least a few thousand more miles.

But don't take my word for it.

If you're not deleted you might want to change it though.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...rent-minderler

Some swear it goes off of Mileage only.

I couldn't give ya a honest answer why it's already popping up.
    "(Reset it again and see how far she goes) keep track of your mileage."

I only wish FCA would have designed it where the owner could reset the OLM to either 100 / 75 /50%.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

It's an algorithm per say, takes idle/drive hours in combination with mileage to tell you when to change it. As far as it knowing something is wrong with your oil, it doesn't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Likes Mdavlee liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

So it really can't tell if my oil is 'done'.

I had this last oil change done by a dealership due to my tools currently being in storage due to moving.

I drive a lot (70-80 miles a day for work), and I let it idle for 5-10 minutes every morning depending on how cold it is.

I'm currently at 107,6xx miles and my sticker says i'm not due for a change until 113xxx miles.

So according to the 'normal' 10k mile intervals I'm not even halfway there yet.

I am heading up north for deer season next weekend, and then the following week I'll be moving into the new house.

I would love to hold off and do the oil change myself for cheaper, but I may end up biting the bullet and having someone do it for me again.

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I had this last oil change done by a dealership due to my tools currently being in storage due to moving.

I drive a lot (70-80 miles a day for work), and I let it idle for 5-10 minutes every morning depending on how cold it is.

I'm currently at 107,6xx miles and my sticker says i'm not due for a change until 113xxx miles.

I am heading up north for deer season next weekend, and then the following week I'll be moving into the new house.

I would love to hold off and do the oil change myself for cheaper, but I may end up biting the bullet and having someone do it for me again.
    Just wait until you move.

Who knows what the dealer even puts in there.

They know about as much as the oil change readout on your dash - nothing.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Hold off, it'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast