Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Power Diesel Products Oil and Bypass Oil Filter

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Power Diesel Products Oil and Bypass Oil Filter

Good morning everyone.

I just wanted to share some oil sample results with you to show the difference between regular off the shelf oil and the 15w40 that power diesel products makes in case you were thinking of making that switch.

The differences between the two columns is the sample from 10-18 has the PDP full synthetic 15w40 as well as a sinister bypass filter installed.

The column on the right has no bypass filter and was running the valvoline blue 15w40 (the bottle with the cummins logo on it).

I wanted to get a particulate test done on both but I guess that didn't happen.

There is a insoluble test on there which I assume is kinda the same thing and even in that category the number was cut in half.

I'd love to hear some opinions on these results!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 RAM 2500 Crew Cab SLT 6.7L.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Power Diesel Products Oil and Bypass Oil Filter

My first observation is the Valvoline has been in service for 661 more miles!

This could make a decent amount of difference in the levels of Copper/Iron/Aluminum ppm over the OCI - especially if that 661 more miles was spent towing (med to heavy loads).

(One needs to give both oils an Equal Playing Field to perform)- No Advantage for either oil and in this case the PDP oil has a 661 mile advantage.

Also the advantage of the by-pass oil filtration. (Though I don't know if that will show any type of benefit within a low cost UOA)

I guess my main question would be were both OCI - driven both exactly the same the whole OCI?

(Towing / Not Towing / Daily Driving) same amount of idle time? - Major players in the final outcome. ---> Just My Opinion - but common sense says Yes this is very important.

Believe it or not: If using a Diesel Fuel additive and with a little fuel dilution added to the oil (caused by alot of excessive idle time) - could show some odd UOA results as well.

"I will bet either of those HDEO will perform a great job Lubricating and Protecting a well maintained 6.7L for many many years!"

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Likes Murph, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

To be fair for both oils, shouldn't the bypass be on for both, or removed for both for an accurate test?

Sorry... this test seems more apples vs. oranges.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Likes Murph, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

One of the things I was looking to find out is how much of a difference that bypass filter made.

For that type of a test I was just looking to start with clean oil and drive about the same amount of miles on it and see how ''dirty'' the oil got.

I know the driving other than the mileage difference was the same.

I really pretty much only drive to and from work with maybe one or two errands on the weekends.

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    My first observation is the Valvoline has been in service for 661 more miles!

This could make a decent amount of difference in the levels of Copper/Iron/Aluminum ppm over the OCI - especially if that 661 more miles was spent towing (med to heavy loads).

(One needs to give both oils an Equal Playing Field to perform)- No Advantage for either oil and in this case the PDP oil has a 661 mile advantage.

Also the advantage of the by-pass oil filtration. (Though I don't know if that will show any type of benefit within a low cost UOA)

I guess my main question would be were both OCI - driven both exactly the same the whole OCI?

(Towing / Not Towing / Daily Driving) same amount of idle time? - Major players in the final outcome. ---> Just My Opinion - but common sense says Yes this is very important.

Believe it or not: If using a Diesel Fuel additive and with a little fuel dilution added to the oil (caused by alot of excessive idle time) - could show some odd UOA results as well.

"I will bet either of those HDEO will perform a great job Lubricating and Protecting a well maintained 6.7L for many many years!"
    I agree that either oil will work great.

I used the blue for 8 years in that truck and it never did me wrong.

One thing that I was originally going for was a comparison of the TBN but that first test didn't get the TBN done.

That honestly is the only advantage that I see in the PDP oil vs oils like the valvoline.

Really the only reason that I switched was the exponential increase of the anti wear additives in the PDP oil and I think that along with the bypass filter will allow me to have longer oil change intervals.

I am pretty new at this game so what numbers should I really be paying attention to on this sheet?

I am assuming that the insolubles are the particulates?

9. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes SyN liked this post