Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my 12v rebuild

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

my 12v rebuild

Well after tearing down my VE 12v cummins, found the head gasket broke between cyl 3-4 and metal pieces from it damaged a piston and valve on cyl 4. So shes getting rebuilt. Bought a cam, tappets pushrods, valve springs, head studs water pump exc. the other day. The bank called to make sure somebody didn't steal my card i spent so much! and i still need more parts! getting front cover powder coated and oil pan and fuel lines. Shes gonna be a work of art under the hood!

2. Likes IG Operations, Sling Shot, Rockwerx liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Keep us posted about it! Got any pics of the carnage?

4. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

well the machiene shop called with bad news. Head is cracked like a mo fo. so i need a new one! i asked how the block looked and he told me it was the right time for the build, shes an old girl and the bearings were down to the copper. So waiting for a new head, new/used.

5. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

soooo, i've got 6 new pistons from mahle, new rods. bored .20 over. bought a brand new head with a thicker deck and better water passages for cooling. new gaskets ect... short block should be back in my possesion soon and back together it goes. still so much work left, not to mention money. but so dang AWSOME!

6. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Who made the rods? Doing anything special to them? As for gaskets I highly suggest using aluminum rtv for the oil pan, front timing cover and rear cover, unless you want to be replacing gaskets in a few thousand miles

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Anything special with the mahles?

9. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

nah, factory rods. pistons are just plain old stock app but they gave me an extra little bump up in compreson. Used my tax money for a scheid 57mm S300. I've got the engine in and most everything hooked up, need to fab a new intake crossover pipe from turbo. put exhaust back in. I tore my old steering appart due to it having lots of slop. Got on summit and bought new borgson steering shaft from rag joint down, has nice ujoint at end

10. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Extremely jealous. I still have 2 350s I gotta rebuild but really wanna build up a 12v. Keep us posted on how things go. Would be awesome if you had pics throughout the build.

11. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

i got pics just no way to post em! Got it fired up fri night. Talk about smoke, opened all 3 gerash doors and truck was pumpin out so much white it wouldnt clear out! i love the smell but burn eyes and hard to breathe. did a hot retorque, need to reset valves. It did have this vibration though, hope its just air needing bled out of the fuel lines.

12. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Use photobucket for storage of the pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast