Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  28

Thread: Next Upgrade?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Next Upgrade?

Hey everyone, I'm kind of in a debacle. I wanted some input on what you guys would do next, in terms of upgrades. Love power but love longevity.

Setup right now is as follows: 2018, 4x4, 68RFE, 29k miles, 35x12.5R18 Toyo, MBRP 5in TBE with 6in tip, Raceme Ultra with WARP tune, EGR vacancy, S&B Cold Air Intake, Thuren King Steering Damper and Rev-Max thermostatic bypass delete.

I run the truck either on power level 3, or in 12v tune, daily highway drive to and from work, don't tow since my change in careers, I don't beat on her but let her go once in awhile, run diesel kleen every tank, run full exhaust break and tow/haul mode all the time, and more or less treat her right.

Torn between either 1:Rev-Max Valve body, 2:Fass Fuel System, 3: APR head studs, valve springs and rods, or the 4:Banks intake horn boost tubes and grid heater delete.

Trying to juggle what to do in precedence related to how I use the truck. So given the way I use the truck and the mileage, what makes sense to you guys in terms of what you would do first, second, third, ect with the upgrade options I laid out?

Thanks everyone and God Bless!

2. Likes SyN, watersupply189, Jaxonsram, N/A liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Next Upgrade?

Great questions: I'm not knowledgeable with all the power mods - but I am very interested in the advice you will receive.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Likes watersupply189, Jaxonsram liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Just my opinion but FASS sys. and valve body upgrade first. FASS was first thing I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Likes watersupply189, SyN, Jaxonsram liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I was thinkin FASS first then Valve Body since I don't really tow and don't beat on the transmission.

Cleaner fuel is always a good thing regardless of the trucks applications.

So one vote for FASS as the next mod!

8. Likes watersupply189, SyN, Jaxonsram liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Factory fuel filters and pump are more sufficient for a otherwise stock truck.

Filters are just expensive.

I’d personally go valve body then head studs-springs.

Then maybe fuel pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes Collin42, watersupply189, Jaxonsram liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I'd do the studs first. For what you are running currently, the rods and springs aren't needed yet. If you want to do a grid heater delete which i recommend to get rid of that killer nut as well as that choke point were the soot likes to collect, look into.a gdp intake with their heater delete and relocate. It goes in the place of the throttle valve. Then I'd do the fuel filter/lift pump, then work on your trans. A deep pan helps keep the Temps down a bit. Power diesel products makes real good trans fluid that i would swap out with the old stuff. It improved my shift quality for sure. While you are in there and changing the filters, take the plastic threads that the spin on filter goes on and replace it with a metal one.
    i belive revmax also sells that. Look into some of the suspension stuff too. Dont necessarily have to be a lift but things like track and sway bars. They will help out your ride quality and handling. One last thing to look at for longevity would be an oil bypass filter. They are inexpensive and better filtration is never a bad thing. I have a sinister kit on mine with a amsoil filter and I can see a visual difference in the cleanliness of the oil. I tried to do an actual particulate test on the oil to see what the true numbers are with that but the post office lost my oil sample from before I had the bypass installed on the way to blackstone.

2012 RAM 2500 Crew Cab SLT 6.7L.

12. Thanks TheJonJon thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, watersupply189, Jaxonsram, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Well the reason I coupled the springs and rods with head studs was the fact I would have that opened up anyways doing the studs.
    Been looking at Sinisters Oil bypass system, just wan't a huge priority because of the milage and the fact I change my oil at earlier intervals than recommended.
    Really wanna do the grid heater delete but was unsure if I could keep the stock intake horn with doing said delete.
    So many options and setups...feel like an indecisive post menopause 60 year old woman in JCPennys trying to pick out a jean skirt.

14. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Power247, N/A liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheJonJon View Post
    Well the reason I coupled the springs and rods with head studs was the fact I would have that opened up anyways doing the studs.
    Been looking at Sinisters Oil bypass system, just wan't a huge priority because of the milage and the fact I change my oil at earlier intervals than recommended.
    Really wanna do the grid heater delete but was unsure if I could keep the stock intake horn with doing said delete.
    So many options and setups...feel like an indecisive post menopause 60 year old woman in JCPennys trying to pick out a jean skirt.
    If you got the cash to do the springs and rods go for it. Opening all that stuff up isn't a huge deal though. I installed my studs in about 5 hours including relashing all the valves. When I went back in to recheck the torque, it only took me two hours and I checked all the valves again for proper lash. I highly recommend buying the crank barring tool when installing. Best 30 bucks I ever spent. Made rotating the engine for the valve checks easy. With the GDP grid heater delete, as long as your tuning allows for the removal of the throttle valve you can do the relocate. Your options their are either delete the heater entirely using the stock intake horn, which will probley throw a code if the heater isn't tuned out or do the relocate to keep the cold weather operability but the throttle valve will have to be tuned out. Both ways alow you to use the stock intake horn. Your tuner may already have this done if not, I'm sure Ray from @DRD could help you out with all that. He has amazing tunes.

16. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

That is the link to the grid heater that goes in place of the throttle valve.

https://www.glacierdieselpower.com/i...id-heater.html

18. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I will throw in my two cents.

I would address the weak links in our trucks first, specifically the driveline.

First is a valve body and second is gearing.

Why?

In looking at the 19 and up trucks, positives are the standard 3.73 gears, revised valve body and track bar mount.

Please post the direction you decide for others to reference in the future.

2018 srw 3500

20. Likes Power247, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post