Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: Slider Or No Slider

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Slider Or No Slider

The boss and I have been talking about upgrading to a small 5th wheel toy hauler in the spring since we'll need more room due to two dogs, and the minions.

With my truck having a 6'4" bed, and not the long bed, I have always thought I would need a sliding 5th wheel hitch.

I'm thinking about doing an andersen gooseneck setup (it's what my parents have and they love it) because it already off-sets the trailer a little bit to help with backing it up.

However I have been seeing 5th wheel hitches popping up online, used, for pretty freaking cheap, but none have said they are a slider.

So my question is if I go with a traditional 5th wheel setup will I really need the slider, or will I be alright with my 6'4" bed?

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

2. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, Mdavlee, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Slider Or No Slider

I currently use a non slider hitch for my fifth wheel and haven't had a bit of problems the last two years i have been using it.

I have not came across any campground i have not been able to navigate my camper through (and it is 44 ft long).

We also travel from Arkansas to Florida once a year for vacation, and make stops in random mom and pop rv campgrounds for overnight stays with no problems either.

I had a slider hitch for 3 years prior to my current hitch and used the slider mechanism 1 time.

I prefer the non slider over the slide, just my 2 cents.

4. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, Mdavlee, rklus16, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Bubba research the Anderson really well - I just had a few pics pop up on facebook from a RV group & showed a horrid wreck while using this device.

I think they were on the interstate and had a vehicle cut them off coming from the on ramp & the owner had to get on his breaks really hard and the Anderson could not handle the load and collapsed. (Possibly was towing heavier over his limit) don't know.

Just look into these hitches really well.

I was really looking at the Anderson - but just to many Oh $hits posted where the hitch supposedly failed in some way.

Possibly going with the Reese Goose Box.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJo View Post
    The boss and I have been talking about upgrading to a small 5th wheel toy hauler in the spring since we'll need more room due to two dogs, and the minions.

With my truck having a 6'4" bed, and not the long bed, I have always thought I would need a sliding 5th wheel hitch.

I'm thinking about doing an andersen gooseneck setup (it's what my parents have and they love it) because it already off-sets the trailer a little bit to help with backing it up.

However I have been seeing 5th wheel hitches popping up online, used, for pretty freaking cheap, but none have said they are a slider.

So my question is if I go with a traditional 5th wheel setup will I really need the slider, or will I be alright with my 6'4" bed?
    The regular 5th wheel set up would work but not very well if you plan on making tight turns or pulling out of uneven terrain, Less turning radius, more than likely crunched cab and damaged trailer.

The slider pushes it away from cab giving you that freedom and peace of mind.

Anderson is super nice.

Easy and lightweight.

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I’ve pulled mine 4500 miles this year with fixed hitches.

I’ve never needed the slider option but I could see it come in handy.

I’ve had to make some 90 degrees turns into spaces and my driveway.

I would get a slider if it was a deal but I wouldn’t hold out for one.

10. Likes SyN, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Bubba research the Anderson really well - I just had a few pics pop up on facebook from a RV group & showed a horrid wreck while using this device.
    I think they were on the interstate and had a vehicle cut them off coming from the on ramp & the owner had to get on his breaks really hard and the Anderson could not handle the load and collapsed. (Possibly was towing heavier over his limit) don't know.

Just look into these hitches really well.

I was really looking at the Anderson - but just to many Oh $hits posted where the hitch supposedly failed in some way.
    Possibly going with the Reese Goose Box.
    We do have time since i'm not planning on purchasing anything until the spring time anyways.

I have looking into those goose boxes as well.

A lot of people have complimented on how well they ride, but I'm not a fan of always having to have a small air compressor with me to inflate the bladder.

I haven't heard about the failures on the andersens, but I'll do some searching.

I'm wondering how many of those failures were due to overloading the trailer?

The camper we are looking at is only 30' in length and dry weight of 6800 lbs.

So I shouldn't have an issue backing it up at camp grounds, but you never know.

Thankfully the driveway at the new house is flat so that will eliminate one worry about twisting the trailer and truck and crunching the bedrails while backing up, however you never know what campgrounds are like until you get there and see the lots.

I've only ever pulled a gooseneck trailer, so the 5'er is something new-ish to me.

Thank you guys for the info, and if you have more, PLEASE let me know.

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

12. Likes walla2k5, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I researched the Andersen a ton before I bought it.

It appears pretty stout and the few incidents I have seen, there was only 1 that could really be pinpointed on the hitch, and that wasn't a definite.

There's 3-4 instances I have seen and this is over almost a ten year span.

I pulled my 12,800lb(empty)fifth wheel 2800+ miles so far this year using the Andersen with no issues.

I retorqued the hitch 2 times this year just to make sure it was still straight and everything was lined up correctly.

This is the only thing that I have any concern with, if the hitch or fifth wheel adapter were to get out of alignment at all.

I think I will dimple the bottom of the pinbox over this off season.

IMO, the Andersen is a great hitch and at only roughly 40 lbs it save a lot of weight over a fifth wheel hitch.

Also, the Andersen doesn't have any chucking, it's very smooth.

It does give some offset, if your bed allows the use of it in the extended position which my 2500 does.

I never had to turn at a full 90* this year but was probably pretty close and never had any clearance issues with my mega cab short bed.

But, the profile of the nose of the camper will make a big difference.

This is one reason why I purchased a newer year camper than what I originally intended to, the nose cone shape was drastically different.

14. Likes Mdavlee liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I used the Andersen hitch as well.

Really liked the smoothness of the tow.

However on my 2500 the back of the pin box would hit my bedcover rail.

Also during a few maneuvers the pucker factor rose.

You never know what you will need to do.

Think about detours and other situations, stuff happens!

I now run with the Demco Highjacker Autoslide.

No worries!

I did get a great deal on fb marketplace.

Camper is a 2017 40’ toy hauler.

‘17 Laramie MC 4x4 DRW, Blessed by DRD, Grid heater delete, Bulletproof 68 kit, ATS thermo bypass, Mud Flaps

'11 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, H&S deletes, 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers on 20" Motometals (SOLD)
    '17 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 DRW, Blessed By DRD, Grid Heater Delete, Bulletproof 68 kit, ATS Thermo bypass, Mud Flaps
    '17 Vengeance 320A Toy Hauler

Enjoying Life One Day at a Time.

16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

thanks for the input guys! Talked to my stepdad and he loves theres due to the light weight and ease of taking it out. He has had a few issues where he has dented the top rails of the bed, and did put a small dent in the cab with their 2016 grand design 5'er. But he took responsibility for both. The bed rails are due to how he turns around in his yard/driveway. VERY uneven surfaces. He has to do this due to them living on the backside of a hill, and people not paying attention to my mom's "STOP!!" sign at the top of the hill. After almost being t-boned by someone doing 50-60mph multiple times, now he turns around in their front yard.

I think i will continue to cruise market place to see what i find.. The goosebox has my eye, but i think with a 6'4" bed, i'll still have potential issues