Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: 5th Gen RAM Oil/Copper Content

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

5th Gen RAM Oil/Copper Content

Hi all, new to the forum.

Search didn’t yield anything specific on this in the 5th Gen.

Feel free to move but this seemed like the logical place to ask this question.

I’ve been getting all of my oil samples tested on 2019 RAM since the first oil change.

The copper content has been trending upward when it should theoretically be trending down.

I’m an amsoil dealer so it has only ever had Amsoil’s signature diesel 10/30 (yes the spec changed for 2019+) and a bypass filter since first change.

Both primary and bypass filters have only been amsoil as well.

TBN is still looking great so it’s not oil degrading.

Anybody else seeing similar break ins with 5th Gen Cummins?

2019 Mega cab 2500
    Thuren 2.75”/1”
    TRail ready HD20”s with 37” Toyo’s.

2. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Murph liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I have seen a few of these via BITOG - possibly copper leaching from the oil cooler - like you stated (at some point) It should slowly drop with every OCI - if it is coming from the oil cooler.

There might be a certain additive within the formulation of the amsoil that is causing the copper levels to rise - reaction with the top layer of copper within the cooler.
    M1 has always seemed to produce thousands of UOA that show high levels of Iron - most claim it's just the chemistry of the oil.

Might consider: Doing a few short runs 2K-3K miles with say Rotella (Semi-Synthetic) 10W-30 or 15W-40.
    Some what of a few (Flush Cycles) ----> Just a idea!

SyN Disclaimer: These are just my simple thoughts and opinions - take it all with a grain of salt.

Do you use a Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive?
    I've witnessed heavy additive use along with a bit of fuel dilution within the oil - totally spook some owners - (with some bad looking UOAs)

Once Again to the community! My Thoughts here are only just thinking out loud. (My First Gut Feeling - Says ---> Possible Leaching from the Oil Cooler)

Others will Chime in at some point & share their thoughts.

Note: Interesting though - Amsoil has switched to No Moly & substituted Boron instead.

Very Robust Oil formulation - Thank You Very Much for Posting Your Report - I am one who finds this information very interesting.

I enjoy seeing how different oils perform & the different formulations.

EDIT: This is one of the main reasons I believe - It's a wise idea with a new motor to wait till 25K-35K miles before beginning your first UOA & Trend.
    Especially a new diesel engine - To give enough time with short OCIs to get all the Break-in Wear Metals as well as Silicone & Copper to work their way out of the Oil & Motor.
    Working the New Motor often (Not hot rodding) along with a few 3K mile OCIs with a cheaper conventional oil (T5 Semi-Synthetic 10W-30 or 15W-50) & a quality filter.
    (Here is where I believe in 2 or 3 N52 Neodymium magnets attached to the filter - These will help the filter attract & hold most of these powdery break-in wear metals.

Keep us up to date with your future plans & future UOAs.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Murph liked this post