Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Electrical Gremlins

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Unhappy Electrical Gremlins

Hopefully this is an Ok place to put this, I didnt see electrical anywhere under technical and didnt feel it to be a Noob question.

Anyway....

2012 6.7 ST, Fully deleted with DRD on Mm3 18+ months ago, new batteries last winter newer than 12 months, not much for electrical add ons besides a compressor for airbags, a CB radio, and a Head unit on the radio. as of now I have pulled the Fuse on the Compressor and CB to eliminate those draws. when I first bought and deleted the truck it sat for days at a time and no problems, daily drove it about 9 months, No problems, 6 weeks ago picked up a second pickup dodge has been resting. Now after 3-4 days its dead wont start. jump it, drive it, fine for a few days, sits a week wont start. been sitting since tuesday, today barely started but threw 2 codes.

P0562 Charging System Voltage too low

P2509 ECM/PCM Power input signal intermittent

Went down a rabbit hole on google and got everything from bad batteries to bad ECM, so before I go spending a bunch of money I hoped someone here would have a solid place to start. Im not horrible with electrical but not my strongest. I really hope its something simple, but 2 batteries less than a year old not holding a charge and going bad seems kinda unlikely even though that would be simple.

2018 Peterbilt 389, Cummins x15, 565hp/2050tq
    2012, 2500, level kit, 35x12.5x20s, some other odds and ends. Soon to be deleted if I can still get parts.....

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Electrical Gremlins

Quote Originally Posted by Fkrupin View Post
    Hopefully this is an Ok place to put this, I didnt see electrical anywhere under technical and didnt feel it to be a Noob question.

Anyway....

2012 6.7 ST, Fully deleted with DRD on Mm3 18+ months ago, new batteries last winter newer than 12 months, not much for electrical add ons besides a compressor for airbags, a CB radio, and a Head unit on the radio. as of now I have pulled the Fuse on the Compressor and CB to eliminate those draws. when I first bought and deleted the truck it sat for days at a time and no problems, daily drove it about 9 months, No problems, 6 weeks ago picked up a second pickup dodge has been resting. Now after 3-4 days its dead wont start. jump it, drive it, fine for a few days, sits a week wont start. been sitting since tuesday, today barely started but threw 2 codes.

Went down a rabbit hole on google and got everything from bad batteries to bad ECM, so before I go spending a bunch of money I hoped someone here would have a solid place to start. Im not horrible with electrical but not my strongest. I really hope its something simple, but 2 batteries less than a year old not holding a charge and going bad seems kinda unlikely even though that would be simple.
    I know you said the batteries are only a year old but have you had them load tested individually to rule out the battery? New batteries can go bad. Also you mentioned two of the items you unplugged to rule out but try unplugging the MM3 while it sits to rule that out also. Keep us informed what you find.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I have not pulled them to bring them somewhere to have them properly load tested no.

I just found it to be unlikely that they both failed so quick, but hey that would be simple.

All I did was hold the meter and had a buddy start the truck. dropped from 12 to 9.5 which is rotten but figured it was a wasted test since they prolly were not full to begin with.

2012, 2500, level kit, 35x12.5x20s, some other odds and ends. Soon to be deleted if I can still get parts.....

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Anyway....

ECM failures are not all that common. Most batteries on brand new on the lot trucks won't hold a full charge, that is why I recommend trickle chargers no matter how old the batteries if you plan to let the truck sit longer than a week.
    P0562 is sometimes a faulty battery and if memory serves me correct, the system registers less than 6 volts.

With your MM3, check the voltage the the ecm before and after you start it and let us know what it says.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I have not pulled them to bring them somewhere to have them properly load tested no.

I just found it to be unlikely that they both failed so quick, but hey that would be simple.

All I did was hold the meter and had a buddy start the truck. dropped from 12 to 9.5 which is rotten but figured it was a wasted test since they prolly were not full to begin with.
    I would recommend having each battery load tested. You could have a bad cell in one battery pulling both batteries down. If they both test good I would do a parasitic drain test. You should see less than 60ma with everything off. Don’t forget to remove the hood lamp.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thank you

I will have them load tested and check out the ECM voltage.

I just need to get the time to do it.

Fingers crossed its something that simple.

12. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post