Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Service Air Suspension Help

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Service Air Suspension Help

Hi I have a 2016 Ram 2500 and just rolled over 100K.

The Service Air Suspension message has come on and I am wondering if anyone can let me know what I need to do to service it.

Everything is working fine just the message pops up.

I would like to do a proper service on the system myself to ensure it is done correctly.

Also if anyone knows where I can download a service manual that would be great.

Bob

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Service Air Suspension Help

Quote Originally Posted by FireManBob View Post
    Hi I have a 2016 Ram 2500 and just rolled over 100K.

The Service Air Suspension message has come on and I am wondering if anyone can let me know what I need to do to service it.

Everything is working fine just the message pops up.

I would like to do a proper service on the system myself to ensure it is done correctly.

Also if anyone knows where I can download a service manual that would be great.

Bob
    Okay I don’t have the Air Suspension system, but did some digging around in Mopar Tech Authority.

There is an inline filter in the system but to replace or do any maintenance you would need to fist drain the system.

As you can see in the attached PDF to refill the system requires special tools and 220 psig of pure nitrogen.

Personally just from what I have read so far I would recommend having the dealer or capable shop perform this service.

Just my opinion, hopefully others will chime in.

Air Suspension Fill.pdf

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, FireManBob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I will check out Mopar Tech Authority, thanks for the tip I have not heard of that before.

It seems odd that there is a filter in a pure nitrogen environment.

I have read there is a filter to the air pump and a possible need for deicing fluid but nothing reliable to go on so far.

6. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I will check out Mopar Tech Authority, thanks for the tip I have not heard of that before.

It seems odd that there is a filter in a pure nitrogen environment.

I have read there is a filter to the air pump and a possible need for deicing fluid but nothing reliable to go on so far.
    Yes, the Tech Authority is quite handy Windows based only.

You can purchase here:

https://www.techauthority.com/en-us/...del=338&type=4

Or check on eBay.

Here is the information on the filter from them.

Hose Filter.pdf

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help you are the only one, out of several searches, who had some great information.

I'm not a paid member so I can't open thumbnails.

It looks like it might be worth $120 for the factory service manual from Mopar Tech I generally do all my own maintenance to ensure it is done right my only concern is code scanning.

It looks like some of the computer or APP based readers and programmers might be good unless there is a better option?

Also the suspension I have is the auto leveling large air bags that replace the springs not the sport or off road ones.

It seems odd that a system that large would have nitrogen in it, to the best of my knowledge semi's just use atmospheric air and my neighbor, who worked in the repair shop for a medium sized trucking company, said it looks like a miniature version of the air suspension in a semi.

Also it tows excellent and I'm only towing about a 8-9k toy hauler around the western US.

I would take it to the dealership but the service desk people are arrogant assholes who really know anything about maintenance other than filling out paperwork.

I'm sure some or most of the technicians are good at their job but you cant talk to them or know who's working on your vehicle.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help you are the only one, out of several searches, who had some great information.

I'm not a paid member so I can't open thumbnails.

It looks like it might be worth $120 for the factory service manual from Mopar Tech I generally do all my own maintenance to ensure it is done right my only concern is code scanning.

It looks like some of the computer or APP based readers and programmers might be good unless there is a better option?

Also the suspension I have is the auto leveling large air bags that replace the springs not the sport or off road ones.

It seems odd that a system that large would have nitrogen in it, to the best of my knowledge semi's just use atmospheric air and my neighbor, who worked in the repair shop for a medium sized trucking company, said it looks like a miniature version of the air suspension in a semi.

Also it tows excellent and I'm only towing about a 8-9k toy hauler around the western US.

I would take it to the dealership but the service desk people are arrogant assholes who really know anything about maintenance other than filling out paperwork.

I'm sure some or most of the technicians are good at their job but you cant talk to them or know who's working on your vehicle.
    I totally agree I consider the dealership as a very last resort. You are correct a good scanner that will check all modules, not just the ECM is an essential tool in my mind. If you have access to a Windows laptop I highly recommend the Autoenginuity with the Chrysler enhancement. Looks like they also have an Android version now.

https://www.autoenginuity.com/products/scantool/

The Mopar Tech Service Manual is a handy reference especially with trouble codes and does include some wiring diagrams when needed. The only drawback is the lack of a search feature, so you do have to dig around. Again this is Windows based also.

Unfortunately I don’t know much about the air suspension systems as I have never owned or worked on them. Keep an eye on your post as someone who has may comment later.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post