Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  63
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealer Issue

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Dealer Issue

I went to the dealer this past weekend to get a quick oil change (tools are in storage due to buying/selling houses).

I asked for a quote to change my fuel filter while I was there.

Dealer told me I had two fuel filters and it would be $170 to change both.

Having a 2012 I was under the impression I only had one fuel filter in the engine bay.

I declined the service and will be doing it myself this weekend.

So which is it?

I don't want to be going to the store and buying one, when I need two, and don't want to be buying two when I only need one LOL.

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

2. Likes Power247, watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob, Murph liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Dealer issue

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJo View Post
    I went to the dealer this past weekend to get a quick oil change (tools are in storage due to buying/selling houses).

I asked for a quote to change my fuel filter while I was there.

Dealer told me I had two fuel filters and it would be $170 to change both.

Having a 2012 I was under the impression I only had one fuel filter in the engine bay.

I declined the service and will be doing it myself this weekend.

So which is it?

I don't want to be going to the store and buying one, when I need two, and don't want to be buying two when I only need one LOL.
    2012 trucks have only the engine mounted filter.

You only need a phillips head screwdriver a 28mm socket and something to catch the fuel from when you bleed the pressure canister.

I have some filters posted in the For Sale section if you decide to do this yourself.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg

4. Likes watersupply189, SyN, AnOldBiker, AK Bob, Murph liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Dealer Issue

UG! - I hate hearing stories of Dealerships that have no clue with the information they are sending out!

Marion can possibly help - his is a 2014 but I think they are very similar.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

6. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Power247, Murph liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I knew I wasn't wrong!! LOL.

Thanks for clearing this up for me guys!

I wasn't about to sit there and argue with them without being 100% sure I was right.

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

8. Likes AK Bob, Power247, Murph, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    2012 trucks have only the engine mounted filter.

You only need a phillips head screwdriver a 28mm socket and something to catch the fuel from when you bleed the pressure canister.

I have some filters posted in the For Sale section if you decide to do this yourself.

Greg
    I just changed mine yesterday, but I've never had a need for a Phillips screedriver, what's that for?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

10. Likes Power247, Murph, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    I just changed mine yesterday, but I've never had a need for a Phillips screedriver, what's that for?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I used it to open the bleeder valve on the canister. Not necessary, I just found it easier than reaching down and turning by hand.

Greg

Greg

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Murph, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Have any of ya had an experience with murphy gettin under yer hood? I've done my F/F five times since gettin this truck and even the first time i was done less than fifteen minutes. bleeder open and maintain until done (first and last thing i do) 1-1/8 socket set up with wobble 1/2 inch drive type, remove cap, remove filter and o ring, yadi yadi yadi. Torque to instruction on filter paperwork. Same fleet guard filters not from dealership but Cummins shop here in town, and done, prime 5 times start and leak ck close hood. Well this last time is where murphy got involved. That cap was so dam tight I even broke the wobble trying to unseat it. I am tool savvy and have been an aircraft mechanic for years by the way. This time it took me almost a half hour just to get the dam thing off without messing up the cap????? Just because of the angle that's needed, lack of room for the bigger ratchet etc. and height of my truck (stock 4x4) i jacked up my back, pretty much had it handed to me, not so LOL, LOL. Short step ladder inside of headlight and one foot driver side front tire. Maybe old age is a creepin up on me IDK. Just weird I guess and thought I'd share but gotter all back together and no issues so that's all that matters I guess. Have a great day ya'll!

14. Likes AK Bob, Power247, SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    Have any of ya had an experience with murphy gettin under yer hood? I've done my F/F five times since gettin this truck and even the first time i was done less than fifteen minutes. bleeder open and maintain until done (first and last thing i do) 1-1/8 socket set up with wobble 1/2 inch drive type, remove cap, remove filter and o ring, yadi yadi yadi. Torque to instruction on filter paperwork. Same fleet guard filters not from dealership but Cummins shop here in town, and done, prime 5 times start and leak ck close hood. Well this last time is where murphy got involved. That cap was so dam tight I even broke the wobble trying to unseat it. I am tool savvy and have been an aircraft mechanic for years by the way. This time it took me almost a half hour just to get the dam thing off without messing up the cap????? Just because of the angle that's needed, lack of room for the bigger ratchet etc. and height of my truck (stock 4x4) i jacked up my back, pretty much had it handed to me, not so LOL, LOL. Short step ladder inside of headlight and one foot driver side front tire. Maybe old age is a creepin up on me IDK. Just weird I guess and thought I'd share but gotter all back together and no issues so that's all that matters I guess. Have a great day ya'll!
    I hear you and feel the pain.

That plastic cap can sometimes become an issue.

My solution was to replace it with this one from Geno’s Garage.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

16. Thanks Murph thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I hear you and feel the pain.

That plastic cap can sometimes become an issue.

My solution was to replace it with this one from Geno’s Garage.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...5690e40c50.jpg

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Slick trick there, how much does 'ol Gino get for one of those gems

18. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Dealer Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    Slick trick there, how much does 'ol Gino get for one of those gems
    Well they are quite expensive at $80 but very good quality and will last a lifetime. There are cheaper ones out there but some of them are prone to leaking.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...-cap/fuel-caps

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

20. Thanks Murph, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Murph, Power247, SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast