Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  107
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trans Upgrade Parts Recommendation

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Trans Upgrade Parts Recommendation

I've got a 68RFE with what seems to be OD clutch slip.

It will go into 5th and 6th but as soon as any load is applied it throws P0735.

I was towing about 15k 2 weeks ago, at the top of the first grade it threw P0871 as it upshifted coming out of load, but the whole timing of it was strange so I cleared that and went on my way.

The rest of the 800 mile trip it got progressively worse.

Phone research lead me to believe it was probably cross leaks as it had one bad incident and wasn't the same after.

Trans had apparently went into a sort of limp mode and I was only getting 1st and 4th and I hit a construction zone in a steep climb towing 15k with 38s and stock gears and it was stuck in 4th gear at 25 ish miles an hour and 103 degrees outside.

As you can imagine it got hot like really hot trans was over 260 for a solid 6-7 minutes.

We fought heat the entire way even as it cooled outside it didn't matter.

Anyway we got a second truck to tow the trailer home and I now unloaded at this point got to be really familiar with just hoping it stayed under 220 degrees.

Fortunately the fluid and filters were changed about 1k before the trip.

Anyway got it home added these parts:
    Mag-hytec pa
    Sonnax line booster
    Sonnax accumulator piston kit
    Sonnax accumulator plate kit
    Bonded separator plate
    ATS thermal bypass valve and speed sensors

It now runs great in 1-4 I'm pretty convinced the thermal valve locked closed and the heat took things out.

It's is however still slipping 5th and 6th it's pretty distinct that's it's clutch slip where it wasn't easy to tell before.

So now the trans needs to come out and I'm wondering what other parts I should put in it while it's out.

Kinda considering doing the pre assembled and clearanced Revmax input drum and then a standard rebuild kit for the remaining clutches and seals.

Will be going to DRD tuning and probably doing deletes since most of the cost will already be spent on the tuning.

I have no intentions to make big power with it or anything but I am wondering what other parts I should be considering both for longevity and to handle the added line pressure.

I think I have heard something about ballooning torque converters.

Anyway any advice would be much appreciated.

I'll reach out to DRD in the coming days as well.

Thanks guys.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Trans Upgrade Parts Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by badbajawa View Post
    I've got a 68RFE with what seems to be OD clutch slip.

It will go into 5th and 6th but as soon as any load is applied it throws P0735.

I was towing about 15k 2 weeks ago, at the top of the first grade it threw P0871 as it upshifted coming out of load, but the whole timing of it was strange so I cleared that and went on my way.

The rest of the 800 mile trip it got progressively worse.

Phone research lead me to believe it was probably cross leaks as it had one bad incident and wasn't the same after.

Trans had apparently went into a sort of limp mode and I was only getting 1st and 4th and I hit a construction zone in a steep climb towing 15k with 38s and stock gears and it was stuck in 4th gear at 25 ish miles an hour and 103 degrees outside.

As you can imagine it got hot like really hot trans was over 260 for a solid 6-7 minutes.

We fought heat the entire way even as it cooled outside it didn't matter.

Anyway we got a second truck to tow the trailer home and I now unloaded at this point got to be really familiar with just hoping it stayed under 220 degrees.

Fortunately the fluid and filters were changed about 1k before the trip.

Anyway got it home added these parts:
    Mag-hytec pa
    Sonnax line booster
    Sonnax accumulator piston kit
    Sonnax accumulator plate kit
    Bonded separator plate
    ATS thermal bypass valve and speed sensors

It now runs great in 1-4 I'm pretty convinced the thermal valve locked closed and the heat took things out.

It's is however still slipping 5th and 6th it's pretty distinct that's it's clutch slip where it wasn't easy to tell before.

So now the trans needs to come out and I'm wondering what other parts I should put in it while it's out.

Kinda considering doing the pre assembled and clearanced Revmax input drum and then a standard rebuild kit for the remaining clutches and seals.

Will be going to DRD tuning and probably doing deletes since most of the cost will already be spent on the tuning.

I have no intentions to make big power with it or anything but I am wondering what other parts I should be considering both for longevity and to handle the added line pressure.

I think I have heard something about ballooning torque converters.

Anyway any advice would be much appreciated.

I'll reach out to DRD in the coming days as well.

Thanks guys.
    Can't go wrong with Revmax friend.

God bless,
    igotacummins

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

If it was me, I would call a couple of transmission shops like Revmax or Suncoast. They should give you some ideas what to check and have a better educated opinion on what is failing or failed.

Other than the trans you may want to consider an axle gear starting with a 4.

2018 srw 3500

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Yeah it's time for the re-gear for sure thinking 4.56's. Randy's ring and pinion is close got a quote back at $3300 so I've got to decide if I'm doing them myself or shelling out for that as well. I won't delete without it though.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2014 Ram 3500 mega cab srw, full thuren 2.5 kit, 38" toyos, 4.56 gears, revmax 850 68RFE, grid heater delete w/ monster ram, steedspeed manifold, Ats aurora 6000 add a turbo(s465), ARP 625s, pushrods & springs, 5" tbe, sb filter, stock fuel

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I was going to say you need to regear or put a fully built trans in to handle the tires or downsize tires. Either way is expensive

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes badbajawa, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Gears, gears, gears! I agree with the regear comments LOL.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

10. Likes badbajawa, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Does anyone disagree with 4.56 for the 38s? I don't think it's going too far but open to opinions

2014 Ram 3500 mega cab srw, full thuren 2.5 kit, 38" toyos, 4.56 gears, revmax 850 68RFE, grid heater delete w/ monster ram, steedspeed manifold, Ats aurora 6000 add a turbo(s465), ARP 625s, pushrods & springs, 5" tbe, sb filter, stock fuel

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by badbajawa View Post
    Does anyone disagree with 4.56 for the 38s? I don't think it's going too far but open to opinions

That's what I'd choose.
    Here would be your 65mph rpm with 4.56, and with 4.10 for comparison.
    This would be in 6th gear with the 68RFE.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Yeah I've been playing with calculators all afternoon glad my numbers match yours. I'm between 4.30 and 4.56 right now leaning towards 4.56.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

4.56 And 38 would be about same as 3.73 with stock sized tires. I do not envy your position of looking at trans, gears and supporting part changes. Good luck

2018 srw 3500

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast