Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  107
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Trans Upgrade Parts Recommendation

1. Top Of Page | #71

User Info Menu

Re: Trans Upgrade Parts Recommendation

Nope it's the thrust bearing between the input clutch hub and the underdrive hub.

From the looks of it the bearing let go and then the underdrive hub rode on the input clutch hub until it are the top of it enough to where the snap ring had no retention and it blew the molded piston free and probably caused the loss of pressure.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2014 Ram 3500 mega cab srw, full thuren 2.5 kit, 38" toyos, 4.56 gears, revmax 850 68RFE, grid heater delete w/ monster ram, steedspeed manifold, Ats aurora 6000 add a turbo(s465), ARP 625s, pushrods & springs, 5" tbe, sb filter, stock fuel

2. Thanks timshooter40 thanked for this post
    Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #72

User Info Menu

Did you get her all put back together?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4. Thanks badbajawa thanked for this post
    Likes badbajawa liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #73

User Info Menu

I got a high performance rebuild kit being shipped from Revmax.

Unfortunately they didn't have any input hubs to sell me so I had to source that from elsewhere, and being the holiday season and the fact that Washington just went back into covid lockdown shipping is dragging on.

I should see revmax parts this Friday but won't see input hub until Wednesday next week, and a bushing kit Friday after Thanksgiving, next week.

Bad news is it'll make it almost 3 weeks of down time. good news is I should be able to put the trans together and regear over the weekend so it should be like a whole new truck.

PS: Revmax is awesome to work with.

2014 Ram 3500 mega cab srw, full thuren 2.5 kit, 38" toyos, 4.56 gears, revmax 850 68RFE, grid heater delete w/ monster ram, steedspeed manifold, Ats aurora 6000 add a turbo(s465), ARP 625s, pushrods & springs, 5" tbe, sb filter, stock fuel

6. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #74

User Info Menu

I ordered redline 75w-90 gl5 formula (no friction modifiers).

If anybody disagrees with that please let me know.

I'll run whatever's cheap and easy for the first 500 miles and that will be going in it after the break-in fluid is removed.

8. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #75

User Info Menu

On a separate note for the last week and a half I have been driving:

'94 manual 12 valve
    '00 automatic 24 valve
    '00 long arm jeep TJ
    '15 jeep JKU

And I can most definitely confirm to you all that I really miss my truck LOL.

To all those out there that are thinking about buying a 3rd Gen to have money left over for upgrades and parts I can without a doubt tell you that the radius arm trucks and the 6.7L Cummins brive themselves compared to the "old" trucks.

When you come from the old ones up to the newer stuff you don't notice it as much but when you go back to where we came from with these things it allows your mind as to how nice the newer trucks are.

Anyway, there's my little rant that no one asked for.

10. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #76
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by badbajawa View Post
    I got a high performance rebuild kit being shipped from Revmax.

Unfortunately they didn't have any input hubs to sell me so I had to source that from elsewhere, and being the holiday season and the fact that Washington just went back into covid lockdown shipping is dragging on.

I should see revmax parts this Friday but won't see input hub until Wednesday next week, and a bushing kit Friday after Thanksgiving, next week.

Bad news is it'll make it almost 3 weeks of down time. good news is I should be able to put the trans together and regear over the weekend so it should be like a whole new truck.

PS: Revmax is awesome to work with.

Did you get a upgraded pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Top Of Page | #77

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    Did you get a upgraded pump?

No it sounded like that was overkill to them for what I'm doing right now as I don't need that much pressure, and since I've already fixed the weak points in mine I should be fine.

We talked quite a bit about torque converters as well and ultimately decided to let this one finish its life, which could be another 5k to 100k but I decided to take that risk since I don't have tuning for the new stuff at this point.

Basically we arrived at this conclusion over concern of sending debris through new high dollar parts due to an overall weak trans.

Revmax agreed that what I'm doing will probably get the most life out of this thing, while making sure I understood that it probably wasn't going to last another 100k by any stretch.

13. Top Of Page | #78
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Trans Upgrade Parts Recommendation

I’m surprised.

They know the valves in the pump wear and given you had temp issues before.

You won’t send debris through the parts if you clean everything before reinstall.

I do it all the time, but if you told them you have plans to buy there trans they would rather sell you one sooner than later.

Make sure and put some grease on the bearings when you install them.

The bearing was probably not seated correctly or moved when you installed the input hub the first time.

I haven’t seen a bearing fail in high mileage trans.

It’s always after a rebuild usually with in 3000 miles which is why I asked originally how many miles where on trans since rebuild.

14. Top Of Page | #79

User Info Menu

Pasted all of the bearings with trans assembly Grease last time and will do it again this time.

The tcc valve is getting honed and replaced also.

Pump is getting vacuum tested also.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #80

User Info Menu

Update for those following along.

Put it back together over the weekend. Also regeared it at the same time.

Feels really solid but I only have 44 miles on it.

Gearing is going to take some getting used to and probably going to drive me to getting trans tuning sooner than later. It's back to the stock truck tricks of always needing to shift to do anything. I actually liked the way it was before, but obviously that was just too much stress on the trans.

I'm fairly certain the bearing failure was probably due to my install. Some lessons are harder to learn than others.

The revmax rebuild kit does add extra clutches all over the place and I rebuilt the sonnex drum using a different clutch stack at the recommendation of a fellow member(thank you).

I guess time will tell if it's going to hold up this time but it feels different than last time so I'm hopeful.

Side note: I have noticed the temps don't seem to climb in park anymore. It's also 32° outside so we'll see where it settles in

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast