Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  107
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trans Upgrade Parts Recommendation

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Trans Upgrade Parts Recommendation

Also curious if there's a real difference between Yukon or Nitro ring and pinion.

I'd go AAM factory but it doesn't appear as though it is produced in 4.56.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2014 Ram 3500 mega cab srw, full thuren 2.5 kit, 38" toyos, 4.56 gears, revmax 850 68RFE, grid heater delete w/ monster ram, steedspeed manifold, Ats aurora 6000 add a turbo(s465), ARP 625s, pushrods & springs, 5" tbe, sb filter, stock fuel

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

East coast gear.

Seems competitive form the other prices I am seeing.

Just now saving up and collecting tools.

Did you fit 37 at stock height?

2018 srw 3500

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

I fit a 37x13.50R20 Toyo RT on an aftermarket 20x9 with a +18 offset on a 100% bone stock truck.

Only had to trim the liner and the pinch weld and it would just barely rub the factory sway bar. Ran it for 4 weeks that way as I was waiting on king for my 2.5's.

Best thing I ever did as I was able to completely trim as necessary.

I now get to hammer through water bars ATV whoops and speed bumps without ever touching anything.

One thing to keep in mind Toyo RT runs undersize like most AT tires where as a Toyo MT runs large.

I now currently have a Toyo RT in the 38x13.50R20 on the same wheels it is for sure the limit without major cutting or several inches of lift.

2014 Ram 3500 mega cab srw, full thuren 2.5 kit, 38" toyos, 4.56 gears, revmax 850 68RFE, grid heater delete w/ monster ram, steedspeed manifold, Ats aurora 6000 add a turbo(s465), ARP 625s, pushrods & springs, 5" tbe, sb filter, stock fuel

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

The front is not the limiting factor on the larger than 38s btw.

I have thuren leafs which move the axle back 1/2 inch so that the tire doesn't rub the top front "corner"(radius) of the fender.

My rear tire is now about 3/4" from the back bottom corner.

So basically if you don't do something to limit the full bump/full flex bump then you will hit the bed with larger tires.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Awesome.

Thanks.

2018 srw 3500

10. Likes badbajawa, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crshanta View Post
    Awesome.

Thanks.
    Just saw your location was somewhat northern thought I might let you know one more thing.

You will not get snow chains on 37s and go more than 5 mph.

You will never get them on the front at all to get out of a sketchy spot or something.

If you end up in those situations very often your going to want an air compressor as airing way down starts to become the only option.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

In snows here, but no where near enough for snow chains. I would like to keep a mud flap on the front, which is going to create some interferences. I got time to sort and refine my plan, at the current mileage rate the truck will not need tires for another 2 yrs.

I am interested in what you find in the trans. Are you going to tear into it or have a local shop do the work? Last question for now, are you adding clutches or doing a like for like replacement?

2018 srw 3500

14. Likes badbajawa, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

I have ordered Revmax rebuild kit which looks to include high quality factory style replacement clutches and rubber components (no bushings or pistons).

I'm going to do the rebuild myself. While I have not done one, I do have the tools to do so and the difference will probably be about $3500.

Assuming all goes well I will probably run it for about a year.

At that point I will probably do the complete internals kit for the Revmax 850 which contains everything they would put into an 850 minus the case.

It's overkill for what I'm doing but I like how many clutches they are able to get into them due to all the redesigned clutch housings.

Should my current attempt at a rebuild fail prematurely I will decide transmission work isn't for me and I will order a complete unit from Revmax directly.

In the past I've delt a local builder on an '03 2500 sitting right at 450hp. My experience was a solid trans for exactly 40k miles then like clockwork it would fail and it was almost never the same part.

He was good about only charging for parts as the thing would be in at least once a year, but still it felt like it was in the shop more than the driveway.

(Once broke a billet intermediate shaft doing a 10psi launch on wet pavement just trying to slide some snow off the roof).

All this was back in the early days of diesel tuning swore we'd never mess with these again especially with the current power output stock.

If I didn't have such a love for the way it goes over anything I point it at I'd probably be going back to a stock size tire.

The truck sees dirt a minimum of twice a week so tire size and lift really do actually have a purpose. I'm fairly confident in the advancements that have been made in trans parts and tuning that I'm willing to give it another shot.

PS: a year for me will be somewhere in the 25-35k miles range (pushing 40k if I do Baja next year) so I feel as though it's a fair test.

16. Thanks 14hillsgreen thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, 14hillsgreen liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Alright what's the current going rate for gears installed?

I Know the front axle is a bit of a PITA but my current quotes are 3800 for nitro gears from JTdifferentials (justdifferentials.com), 3300 for yukons from Randy's R&P, and 3250 for nitros from a localish shop called Mule off-road.

I understand that those are some huge names in the ring and pinion world which is probably why there's not many shops that install stuff In my area.

I get that taking it to the guys that literally write the book it probably a good idea but it seems extreme to have 1500-2000 in labor costs for the install.

So I'm asking any of you that have had gears done recently what does it cost normally.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Figured I should give you guys an update.

I Ended up throwing a factory rebuild kit in the trans, plus added the sonnex OD drum and clutches plus a transgo shift kit.

Ended up costing about $700 and I plan to purchase the Revmax 850 component kit before deleting provided I don't trade this truck in on a new one by that point.

If RAM does something crazy like putting a real trans in one of these trucks I'll definitely send this one down the road before putting anymore money into it.

Been together for about 200 miles now and runs good.

Seems to still get to 200 degrees really easy when towing but that's after it idles up to about 180 so I'm not really sure if it's a problem.

I'm trying to decide if that's still just the gearing and tires for now.

Might flush to cooler good and see if maybe it's got some blockage going on.

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast