Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burnt Clutch?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Burnt Clutch?

Hey guys, so earlier this evening I was backing a camper and I was riding the clutch pretty good.

(From now on I’ll drop it down and low range to back) as I neared the end of my push I noticed smoke and a burning brake smell.

I noticed the clutch was a little softer than normal.

The smoke was coming from in front of the oil pan.

I let the truck idle to cool down before I cut it off.

Not sure If that was the correct thing to do.

I let it cool down and when I fired it back up there was no smoke and the truck jerked a little more than usually pulling out but ice driven it all day and it’s not slipping and everything seems normal.

I plan on towing in a month or so.

Did I ruin the clutch or just decrease the life of it?Truck has 40,000 miles. 2015 6 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Burnt Clutch?

Decreased the life.

I'm not sure about what type of smoke you saw but if you smelt burnt clutch ( I like to compare it to grinding steel with a hint of tire fire) you wore her down some.

It happens to all of us.

We all get a couple of "whoops" moments here and there.

W/o driving it I can't gauge how bad it is, but if it is spongy then she ain't feeling too good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Keep an eye on your tachometer when climbing hills or towing a load.

If you notice the RPM begin to climb without a corresponding increase in vehicle speed she’s slipping.

My guess is you just weakened the clutch a little bit shouldn’t have any problems.

If you see what I mentioned above it’s time to replace it.

6. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Agreed with both of these comments just take her easy.

When I had to replace the clutch in my 03 with a NV5600 I noticed it start to slip and with in about a month to month and a half later with my wife driving it that day she had all neutral gears on the side of the interstate.

So just keep watch of your tach.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I appreciate the input. It makes me feel better. I was worried for a while. I’m still not entirely sure what the smoke was. Can you literally make the clutch smoke? It was smoking between the oil pan and where the trans bolts to the engine.

10. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdc76 View Post
    I appreciate the input. It makes me feel better. I was worried for a while. I’m still not entirely sure what the smoke was. Can you literally make the clutch smoke? It was smoking between the oil pan and where the trans bolts to the engine.

Yes if you ride/slip the clutch too long it will smoke and have a very bad smell and with a load it will heat up quicker.

12. Likes Cdc76, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 03 unicorn View Post
    Yes if you ride/slip the clutch too long it will smoke and have a very bad smell and with a load it will heat up quicker.

Thanks for clearing that up. I’m still learning the ropes. I’ve spent all my life on a farm and worked on all kinds of stuff but these truck are totally new to me. I’ve never literally smoked a clutch before. At 21 this is my first diesel. I fell in love when I saw the G56 in it. Hopefully everything is ok with the truck and I have a nice tow hunting in October.

14. Likes watersupply189, 03 unicorn liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Thanks for clearing that up. I’m still learning the ropes. I’ve spent all my life on a farm and worked on all kinds of stuff but these truck are totally new to me. I’ve never literally smoked a clutch before. At 21 this is my first diesel. I fell in love when I saw the G56 in it. Hopefully everything is ok with the truck and I have a nice tow hunting in October.

No problem that is what this community is for we have a question and for the most part we get an actual answer and not somebody trash talking you.

I hope you have a safe trip next month.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

LOL I was 17 years old. Had a 84 Camaro with a 6cyl/5speed. I revved it high dumped the clutch and stood on the brakes. Thought I was doing the biggest burnout anyone has ever seen with the biggest cloud of smoke, only the tires werent turning at all. So yes LOL, you can literally make a clutch smoke. I've smoke a few others here and there since then, but not like that.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

18. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

The clutch feels good now and has stiffened back up after cooling. I can cycle through all the gears fine. I still smell a hint of what I was smelling earlier but not near as bad. Maybe it will take some time for the smell to go away?

20. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast