Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: White Smoke

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

White Smoke

2006 Dodge 3500 5.9 24 valves.

Hit a brick wall on this issue.

When I start the truck and the wait to start light is on I get no smoke but when I start the truck and wait to start light is not on it will billow big cloud of white smoke for few seconds.

If I run a hot wire to the solenoid for a second and activate the relay it will not smoke.

I believe the wait to start light is always supposed to come on no matter what the temperature is.

Also, I know that the heater grid only activates below a certain temp and I just replaced all injectors and connector tubes.

There must be sometime in the circuit that tells ECM to not deliver too much fuel on start-up and obviously the truck is getting too much fuel which causes the white smoke.

Have not been able to find anyone knowledgeable to diagnose the problem.

Does anyone help me solve this issue?

Thanx,
    Charlie

2. Thanks Murph thanked for this post
    Likes Murph liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: White Smoke

There are other things aside from over fueling that can cause white smoke on startup.

Also a puff of white smoke shouldn't be concerning unless the smoke is lasting more than a few seconds.

Like air intrusion.

Even a little oil in a cylinder can appear as white smoke.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4. Likes Mdavlee, Murph liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

When I start the truck and the wait to start light is on I get no smoke but when I start the truck and wait to start light is not on it will billow big cloud of white smoke for few seconds.

If I run a hot wire to the solenoid for a second and activate the relay it will not smoke.

I believe the wait to start light is always supposed to come on no matter what the temperature is.

Also, I know that the heater grid only activates below a certain temp and I just replaced all injectors and connector tubes.

There must be sometime in the circuit that tells ECM to not deliver too much fuel on start-up and obviously the truck is getting too much fuel which causes the white smoke.

Thanx,
    Charlie
    Does the smoke smell like raw fuel or anything?

Did you buy brand new or reman injectors?

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

A video will probably be best to help people diagnose it easier.

If it’s just a few seconds and the idle isn’t rough then I would t worry with it.

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

Thanx,
    Charlie
    Welcome

This truck have high mileage?

What state are you in?

I assume you didn't have this white smoke before the injectors? Ever?

When you changed the injectors, was there a marked change in the engine running?
    Just for the heck of it, make sure the air filter is clean

It could be the newer injectors are able to atomize the fuel better than before.

White smoke is typical on the 5.9's.

My 03 belches plenty and there is nothing wrong, grid heater or not.

The 6.7 has tighter tolerances than the 5.9 so they tend to smoke less.

Usually just a puff.

I heard somewhere the factory plays with the timing during startup on the 6.7 too.

That can effect the cold smoke too.

After a few seconds, the cylinders are warm and tight enough ignite all the fuel and get rid of the smoke.

Fuel in heavier droplets is harder to ignite, so the new injectors just put the truck back where it is supposed to be.

In other words, it sounds like you have nothing to worry about.

I'm the 3rd gen guru around here, so they tell me.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes AK Bob liked this post