Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  71
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Towing Confusing, Seeking Wisdom

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Towing Confusing, Seeking Wisdom

I would trust your truck to handle the same weight as a single tire 3500 is rated to tow.

The tires brakes and axles are all up to the task.

The coil springs may be a little soft and you can always add airbags.

I have them on my truck and I love them, I don't tow as heavy as you will be either.

If I were you I would get airbags and do my calculations off of a 3500 single tire, but that's just me.

This is not legal advice.

If this is something that is going to worry you and be in the back of your mind every time you are trying to enjoy towing your camper around trade your 2500 for a 3500 and be done with it.

2. Likes SyN, Power247, Mdavlee liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stewbuntu View Post
    Not sure what year they swapped to springs.

I'm leafs.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    The rear of the 2500 has a five-link coil spring setup with an optional supplemental air spring for extra load carrying capacity.

The rear of the 3500 has leaf springs, also with an optional supplemental airbag.

I believe this was swapped on the 2500 with the release of the 14 model.

It seems a lot of changes happened to these truck between 13 (engine related changes) and 14 (suspension changes).

The airbags would have been a nice option to have.

2016 RAM 2500 4x4 Laramie Mega Cab, Leveled, 35s.

4. Likes SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lopie View Post
    I too went from a 2500 to a 3500 DRW.

‘17 Laramie MC 4x4 DRW, Blessed by DRD, Grid heater delete, Bulletproof 68 kit, ATS thermo bypass, Mud Flaps
    If you were going to buy a 3500 DRW now, would you look for a high output (aisin trans) or 68 and bullet proof?

To the OP, My camper is 8600 lbs and has a tongue weight of 1100, dry.

So I would look into camper specs for the one you want first instead of basing it on 20%.

Side note, I was over the GVWR when I moved from delaware back to texas.

Had that thing packed up, and the truck handled it fine.

Not something I would do again that's for sure LOL.

If you feel overloaded take it easy and make sure you can stop it.

For normal towing events, you can manipulate that pin weight by loading gear aft of the axles.

6. Likes Mdavlee, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

The 68 is more versatile as far as aftermarket and with the Aisin you are kinda limited as to what you can do as far as tuning and upgrades.

With that being said I would likely roll with the 68 and never look back.

‘17 Laramie MC 4x4 DRW, Blessed by DRD, Grid heater delete, Bulletproof 68 kit, ATS thermo bypass, Mud Flaps

'11 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, H&S deletes, 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers on 20" Motometals (SOLD)
    '17 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 DRW, Blessed By DRD, Grid Heater Delete, Bulletproof 68 kit, ATS Thermo bypass, Mud Flaps
    '17 Vengeance 320A Toy Hauler

Enjoying Life One Day at a Time.

8. Likes Mdavlee, Aircraft Mech, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lopie View Post
    The 68 is more versatile as far as aftermarket and with the Aisin you are kinda limited as to what you can do as far as tuning and upgrades.

With that being said I would likely roll with the 68 and never look back.

Cool, Thanks.
    Im new to the whole tuning thing so I've always thought that when I get a 3500 it will be aisin. But now Im seeing they are limited for tuning. So if a bullet proof 68 is just as reliable or more I will go that route.

10. Likes SyN liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aircraft Mech View Post
    Cool, Thanks.
    Im new to the whole tuning thing so I've always thought that when I get a 3500 it will be aisin. But now Im seeing they are limited for tuning. So if a bullet proof 68 is just as reliable or more I will go that route.
    Well don't go making any life decisions on my advise.

Please by all means someone else chime in with some words of wisdom.

For what i have read about both transmissions the 68 behind a stock truck with normal loads will be fine.

However the Aisin behind a stock truck would be better.

Its when you have had enough and decide to start the mods is when (in my opinion) the 68 will shine.

Again what i have seen, a moderately upgraded 68 is just as good if not better than the Aisin.

Also keep in mind Repair costs are offset quite a bit.

Again just my $.02

'11 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, H&S deletes, 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers on 20" Motometals (SOLD)
    '17 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 DRW, Blessed By DRD, Grid Heater Delete, Bulletproof 68 kit, ATS Thermo bypass, Mud Flaps
    '17 Vengeance 320A Toy Hauler

Enjoying Life One Day at a Time.

12. Likes Aircraft Mech, SyN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

The Aisin is a much heavier duty transmission than the 68RFE and is better suited to live behind a Cummins pulling a load every day. The issue with the Aisin is that no one is able to tune it yet.. so it cannot be modified to operate correctly with significantly more horsepower that it was originally programmed to deal with.

If you are not going to tow heavy get a 68RFE.

If you are going to try to make significantly more power than stock get a 68RFE and be prepared to dump a truckload of money into it.

If you are going to stick with near stock power levels and you are going to tow heavy and often... get the Aisin

14. Thanks Lopie thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Mdavlee, Lopie, SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #28
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Aisins are sloppy shifting unloaded but pull heavier loads more comfortably than the 68RFE.

Trick to the Aisins and added power Is keeping the power curve close to the same as factory curve so you don’t need trans tuning.

Twins do well with a built Aisin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes AK Bob, Mdavlee, SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123