Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  47
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Gears Should I Choose?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

What Gears Should I Choose?

So I have been doing research on regearing my truck. I have stock 3.42s and 35" tires, I don't tow anything super heavy right now just my 21' center console but you never know what the future may bring.

I don't plan on going to any bigger tires.

My reason for wanting to regear is the longevity of the powertrain, and maybe better torque.

Everything I'm reading has everyone e running 37" tires with 4.10 gears.

My question is would 4.10's be to much gearing for 35" tires, this is my daily driver and I take road trips in it so I don't want my RPMs to be to high on the highway killing my MPG's.

Is anyone running 4.10's with 35" tires and how do you like them?

Or are you running an in-between gear from stock to 4.10's and if so how do you like them?

Thanks in advance for anyone's input.

2017 2500 CCSB, 2.5" Thuren Springs, Thuren Active Rate Sway Bar, King steering stabilizer shock, Anthem Commanders wrapped in 35X12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, S&B Intake, The Dr's prescription performance enhancer.

2. Likes DieselDingus, SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: What Gears Should I Choose?

Very Interested in the responses that you receive - for future reference.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

3.73 or 4.10 would be great for you. 3.73 would net you better MPG and little more mid to top end pull. but to be honest if you were pulling more, or your daily driving was lots of elevation changes etc. I would do 4.10

are you feeling your truck is lugging or see high temps on Trans. while you are towing.. did you own truck before the 35 were put on truck? you have something to compare to. big thing is to keep the power in the power band. don't tow in 6th if you are doing elevation changes. flats and maintaining RPM's at least 14-1500 cruising. have you ever tried dialing driving with the tow haul button on.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Use this. Put in your tire size, gear ratio, and speed.

The 68RFE is (.63 : 1) in 6th gear.

Then compare the rpm the calculator gives with different size tires and gears.

https://www.dieselhub.com/tech/rpm-calculator.html

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Av8r, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

For example:

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

10. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes Av8r, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

And personally I think 4.10s put you in a good spot with 35s

12. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    3.73 or 4.10 would be great for you. 3.73 would net you better MPG and little more mid to top end pull. but to be honest if you were pulling more, or your daily driving was lots of elevation changes etc. I would do 4.10

are you feeling your truck is lugging or see high temps on Trans. while you are towing.. did you own truck before the 35 were put on truck? you have something to compare to. big thing is to keep the power in the power band. don't tow in 6th if you are doing elevation changes. flats and maintaining RPM's at least 14-1500 cruising. have you ever tried dialing driving with the tow haul button on.
    I did own it before the 35s it was bone stock when I bought it, however I don’t remember what it was like. I live in Virginia Beach so it’s pretty flat around here and the farthest I tow the boat regularly is 5-10 miles from home but plan on taking trips with it so it would be highway driving while towing too I do feel she is a bit sluggish at times especially when I’m running the A/C, I know it’s because the compressor puts more strain on the motor but hoping lower gears will help push through that. The highest the trans temp gets i see is 170- 180. I plan on doing a rev max valve body too. I talked to my buddy today who has 4.10s in his truck with the same tires as mine and he says it sucks for MPGs on The highway. Cruising at 65-70 his rpms are over 2k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 2500 CCSB, 2.5" Thuren Springs, Thuren Active Rate Sway Bar, King steering stabilizer shock, Anthem Commanders wrapped in 35X12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, S&B Intake, The Dr's prescription performance enhancer.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

4.10 his rpm should not be 2k or higher going 65. now the other question for yourself and your friend. did you both correct your speedometer reading after the new tires. if not then speed and speed related rpm will be off.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    4.10 his rpm should not be 2k or higher going 65. now the other question for yourself and your friend. did you both correct your speedometer reading after the new tires. if not then speed and speed related rpm will be off.
    I did but couldn’t get it perfect so it’s 1-2 MPH at higher speeds but seems to be dead on at lower speeds using GPS and those roadside this is your speed signs. Him I’m not sure.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r View Post
    I did own it before the 35s it was bone stock when I bought it, however I don’t remember what it was like. I live in Virginia Beach so it’s pretty flat around here and the farthest I tow the boat regularly is 5-10 miles from home but plan on taking trips with it so it would be highway driving while towing too I do feel she is a bit sluggish at times especially when I’m running the A/C, I know it’s because the compressor puts more strain on the motor but hoping lower gears will help push through that. The highest the trans temp gets i see is 170- 180. I plan on doing a rev max valve body too. I talked to my buddy today who has 4.10s in his truck with the same tires as mine and he says it sucks for MPGs on The highway. Cruising at 65-70 his rpms are over 2k.

Is your buddy's truck a 68RFE? Basically you have 2 OD gears 5th and 6th. 4th if I remember right is 1:1 in a 68RFE. I dont know exactly where 1:1 would put the rpm if you ran up to 65 with 4:10s but I'm saying make sure you compare apples to apples and does he have the same trans

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast