Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  47
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Gears Should I Choose?

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: What Gears Should I Choose?

If you are not going to go any bigger than 35's and you are not buying a 5th wheel camper or anything else huge and very wind resistant.

I would say leave the axle gearing alone and tow in 5th gear, locking 6th out of the equation.

I believe the final drive ratio is similar in 5th gear with 3.42's and 6th with 4.10's.

I don't think you are going to be happy with your unloaded highway cruising RPMs with the 4.10 gears at 80mph...

I really think 3.73 gears would have been ideal for these 3/4 ton trucks, but that small of a change probably isn't worth the financial investment. JMO

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Av8r liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

CJC offroad did video on the debate.

Stumbled on it when I was looking at regearing.

From what they were saying the reason they do not regear is because they do not pull and the trucks run better under load.

Due to them not pulling the bigger tires provide the "load" with stock gearing especially at highway speeds.

Will have to find a link to post later.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post
    If you are not going to go any bigger than 35's and you are not buying a 5th wheel camper or anything else huge and very wind resistant.

I would say leave the axle gearing alone and tow in 5th gear, locking 6th out of the equation.

I believe the final drive ratio is similar in 5th gear with 3.42's and 6th with 4.10's.

I don't think you are going to be happy with your unloaded highway cruising RPMs with the 4.10 gears at 80mph...

I really think 3.73 gears would have been ideal for these 3/4 ton trucks, but that small of a change probably isn't worth the financial investment. JMO
    If I remember correctly, if I ordered my 2018 with a automatic I had a choice between 3:42 & 3:73 gears.

Once I opted for the G56 trans I lost the 3:73 gear option & had to go with 3:42 gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Mdavlee, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

I have stock 3.42s and 35" tires as well.

Just purchased Nitro 3.73s today.

I don't tow but maybe a few times a year and the truck is more for just messing around and rolling coal on Biden voters.

I took the advice from my diesel mechanic.

He said 4.10s with 35s would be annoying on the interstate at 80 mph.

Pretty much done with the 700hp build that I wanted and was time to fork out the $ for the re-gear.

Hope I notice a difference.

2016 2500, MM3 custom tunes from Ray, 369sxe Iron Horn kit, Exergy 10mm CP3, 100 hp injector nozzles, Airdog 150, Hamilton springs and rods, Banks Monster Ram intake, Banks intercooler, 5" straight pipe, S&B cold air intake, Bilstein 2.5" leveling kit with 5160's, Bilstien 5100's in the rear, 35's, Revmax 750, Amp research steps, Paragon truck bed cover.

8. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonytilemeister View Post
    I have stock 3.42s and 35" tires as well.

Just purchased Nitro 3.73s today.

I don't tow but maybe a few times a year and the truck is more for just messing around and rolling coal on Biden voters.

I took the advice from my diesel mechanic.

He said 4.10s with 35s would be annoying on the interstate at 80 mph.

Pretty much done with the 700hp build that I wanted and was time to fork out the $ for the re-gear.

Hope I notice a difference.
    Let us know how you like it once you get it done. I don’t plan on going any bigger than 35’s.

2017 2500 CCSB, 2.5" Thuren Springs, Thuren Active Rate Sway Bar, King steering stabilizer shock, Anthem Commanders wrapped in 35X12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, S&B Intake, The Dr's prescription performance enhancer.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post

How exactly do you tow in 5th instead of 6th?

2017 2500 CCSB, 2.5" Thuren Springs, Thuren Active Rate Sway Bar, King steering stabilizer shock, Anthem Commanders wrapped in 35X12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, S&B Intake, The Dr's prescription performance enhancer.

12. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Av8r;200367]How exactly do you tow in 5th instead of 6th?

There are buttons on your shifter.

You can use them to limit the highest gear that the transmission will be allowed to shift into.

Just select 5th gear as the highest allowable when towing.

13. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Aj Grubb;200369]
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8r View Post
    How exactly do you tow in 5th instead of 6th?

There are buttons on your shifter.

You can use them to limit the highest gear that the transmission will be allowed to shift into.

Just select 5th gear as the highest allowable when towing.
    Oh, I thought that was just for manually shifting through each gear I wasn’t aware you could limit how high the gears will go too.

Learn something new everyday.

Torque converter will still lock up too, and do I just set it when I put it in drive?

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Yep.

Just put in drive and hit the selector and push the + and - to select what gear you want.

You can shift it up 1-6 manual or put it at 5 and it will shift up to 5th.

2016. Laramie 2500, 68RFE, CC 4x4. DRD Medical plan. factory rear air. 2” lift/level. 35x12.5, Revmax vb with deep pan. ARP 425 head studs.

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

What I do is just put it in drive and start driving.

Once I reach the highest gear I want the truck to be in I will hit the down button.

That will show the gear I am currently in on the dash EG "5".

Once you do that you are good.

The transmission will now function like a 5 speed instead of a 6 speed.

Otherwise transmission function is un effected.

It will still downshift and upshift through all of the other gears and lock up the converter as normal.

Really don't think about it as putting the transmission in 5th gear.

Think about it as locking the transmission out of 6th gear, because that is essentially what you are doing.

19. Likes watersupply189, Av8r liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast