Thanks Thanks:  65
Likes Likes:  155
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo Talk

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turbo Talk

I've decided I'm going to slowly accumulate parts for my 2nd gen swap over the next year and install everything in 2022 - so way out there.

I'll get an intake horn, grid heater delete, steed speed manifold, piping kit, coolant tank (maybe), studs, analog gauges, FASS etc. - a piece at a time here or there so I don't have a $6000 bill all at once in the end.

Built trans. to come when the stock one goes, but trying to avoid that $$ for a while even if I have to keep it turned down.

I wanted to get some input on the finer details of turbos.

This is my daily driver. I won't tow over ~9,000 lbs max (23 ft wakeboard boat loaded). Shooting for around 700hp, I'd like to keep it on stock fuel for the time being, if possible, and I don't want to get into the motor either.

700hp is for no other reason than my own personally enjoyment. If I can't get there immediately without fuel, oh well, at least it's possible down the road with this setup.

Think I'm pretty set on an S467.7 - open to other suggestions of course. Have considered a S464.5 but I don't see them offered much.

It's the other aspects I'm in the dark on.

I think I'm fairly set on either the WCFab S400 kit or the Evil Fab Labs kit.

I may or may not get the turbo directly from either one of them, but their turbo options got me wondering what to get.

Both have a S467.7/83/.90 (WCFab: FMW, EvilFab: Billet). FMW or Billet better? This size seems very common.

Now, I hear about .90 housing overspeeding quite a bit as I poke around the internet. Although, I am in Wisconsin, not at altitude so maybe not an issue? .90 just simply requires proper tuning in general?

So that drives me to the Evil Fab side where they have an option of a Billet S467.7/87/1.0 - is this turbo still daily drive-able? Is it even necessary over the 83/.90 for my purposes?

Sorry for the book here, but I can't find a good turbo thread anywhere. - Feel free to dump any other turbo info into this thread if it's helpful.

Fuel will be a whole other conversation down the road.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo Talk

Anybody??

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

3. Likes Dim_Son, Bustedgrills liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Subscribed...

I have everything but the turbo myself.

I've been told that you want bigger injectors to light the 467.

I've also heard of guys running them with stockers, so I really don't know.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

5. Thanks 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
    Likes 6.7 Coal Train, Bustedgrills liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    Subscribed...

I have everything but the turbo myself.

I've been told that you want bigger injectors to light the 467.

I've also heard of guys running them with stockers, so I really don't know.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Exactly.

This is the kind of stuff I want to get to the bottom of before committing to a 467.

7. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

S464 won’t get you to 700hp.

Be honest with yourself do really want to spend the money for 700hp? Its gonna cost you 15-20k to do it right and keep it reliable by the time you get transmission and other supporting mods.

S465 is good for towing on stock fuel but honestly so is the stock VGT turbo and you won’t gain much going from stock VGT to the s465.

S467.7 is the way to go but you are gonna want extra fuel. You’re gonna see a lot of people say with out with out fuel it spools just fine. But they are full of it or don’t know any better

Remember you limit out on stock fuel around 500hp ish stock VGT can get you that or really close to that just need support mods and trans mods to make it reliable. S465 is good to around 550 depending on who you ask not worth the extra 50hp for the money if you ask me.

I ran the s465 for about 6 months I personally hated it. Now I run s467.7 with 200 horse injectors and dual CP3 made 740 on the dyno it has more In it but not going further until I get rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Thanks Jaxonsram, 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
    Likes Jaxonsram, 6.7 Coal Train, Murph liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Wc fab will give you what ever housing you want you just got to tell them which one you want when you order.

I went with a 1.1 on my s467.7.

10. Thanks 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
    Likes 6.7 Coal Train liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post

Be honest with yourself do really want to spend the money for 700hp? Its gonna cost you 15-20k to do it right and keep it reliable by the time you get transmission and other supporting mods.

S465 is good for towing on stock fuel but honestly so is the stock VGT turbo and you won’t gain much going from stock VGT to the s465.

S467.7 is the way to go but you are gonna want extra fuel. You’re gonna see a lot of people say with out with out fuel it spools just fine. But they are full of it or don’t know any better

Remember you limit out on stock fuel around 500hp ish stock VGT can get you that or really close to that just need support mods and trans mods to make it reliable. S465 is good to around 550 depending on who you ask not worth the extra 50hp for the money if you ask me.

I ran the s465 for about 6 months I personally hated it. Now I run s467.7 with 200 horse injectors and dual CP3 made 740 on the dyno it has more In it but not going further until I get rods.

What kind of tuning/who wrote your files?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Thanks 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
    Likes 6.7 Coal Train liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

IMO i would go with a 300 series charger 369sxe .91 divided housing or 1.0. The SXE chargers flow identical or more to chargers larger in size. Most would call me nuts however if you truely are using this as a daily/tow rig with minimum hot rodding going with a larger charger 467ish you are losing your low end response abd power low in the power ban and will be smokey relatively speaking unless at 1800+ rpm.

Especially wanting to stay in stock fuel for an unknown ish period of time I wouldn’t go with a 467.

Theres a couple ways you could do it if we are talking long term goal. Again just my .02

1. 3rd gen swap BD iron horn kit with the 369. This does not have the cool factor of a second gen swap. As far as performance relative to stock and value this kit is hard to beat. You

2. Second gen swap with a 364.5sxe to start. This charger will light like stock and make more power. Then when you want to add fuel or go for big power add a larger 400 series for a compound setup. Cool factor is maxed out here along with your budget LOL

Make sure you talk to your tuner and see what they have to say! If you are sticking with Ray he has some videos somewhere about his compound journey on his last truck. He opted for the 300sxe route if I remember right.

keep us posted

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Thanks 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
    Likes 6.7 Coal Train, Mdavlee, Tjswa666.7l liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post

I appreciate the reply.

I'm well aware the trans is going to be a big bill, but I will ending up getting a built one eventually either way when stock goes, so it's a wash there.

I believe you about 500hp on stock VGT, but 550hp on a S465 seems wildly low.

I'm almost positive you can get well over 600hp on a S465.

Either way, I'm more curious if I can live with a S467.7 on stock fuel for a while, before upgrading fuel - Even if it does not get to 700hp immediately.

I actually don't care if I make exactly 700hp ever, but I don't want to be limited by a smaller turbo if I do want to turn it up down the line and slowly upgrade as stock parts, like injectors, go bad.

Would be a no-brainer in my mind to go to bigger injectors when that time comes if I hadn't had to upgrade them beforehand.

Also thanks on the WC Fab housing tip. I was just going off of what is available in their drop down menu.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    IMO i would go with a 300 series charger 369sxe .91 divided housing or 1.0. The SXE chargers flow identical or more to chargers larger in size. Most would call me nuts however if you truely are using this as a daily/tow rig with minimum hot rodding going with a larger charger 467ish you are losing your low end response abd power low in the power ban and will be smokey relatively speaking unless at 1800+ rpm.

Especially wanting to stay in stock fuel for an unknown ish period of time I wouldn’t go with a 467.

Theres a couple ways you could do it if we are talking long term goal. Again just my .02

1. 3rd gen swap BD iron horn kit with the 369. This does not have the cool factor of a second gen swap. As far as performance relative to stock and value this kit is hard to beat. You

2. Second gen swap with a 364.5sxe to start. This charger will light like stock and make more power. Then when you want to add fuel or go for big power add a larger 400 series for a compound setup. Cool factor is maxed out here along with your budget LOL

Make sure you talk to your tuner and see what they have to say! If you are sticking with Ray he has some videos somewhere about his compound journey on his last truck. He opted for the 300sxe route if I remember right.

keep us posted
    Appreciate those ideas a lot.

I'm definitely going 2nd gen swap for "cool factor".

I had pretty much written off compounds, but I actually really like the idea of getting the smaller charger to start, that I can eventually just use in a compound setup so I don't have to buy 3 turbos.

I will definitely have to get with Ray @DRD to see what he thinks tuning wise about the bigger 467 on it's own.

With 3.42 gears, smoking up a storm under 1800 rpm is kind of a non-starter with how much I drive around town.

Even keeping the gears locked out to 3rd and 4th at low speeds I'm usually around 1500rpm.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast