Likes Likes:  81
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CP4 Failures

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: CP4 Failures

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    5 years and 65k on my CP4.

One of the reasons I had on the list to switch back to Cummins got crossed off with the Gen 5s.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...d69272b8e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    TRADER! LOL

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    TRADER! LOL
    Yeah yeah yeah. I figured you'd be tired of your teeth rattling out while driving down the road sooner or later too.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

4. Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I just called the boys at Archoil.

They told me their additive helps the CP4.

It does not disperse the water, it absorbs it.

The best way to prevent water is to keep the tank full as much as you can.

Diesel is pretty wet.

The last time I was in my tank, I didn't have a drop of water and my truck sits a lot these days.

I dump my fuel filters in a can and don't see any accumulation there either. I guess that stuff works.

What bothers me is why the CP4 will fail with a little water while the CP3 could fill a swimming pool

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, RATLIN'HP, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I would like to see for every failure you read about there's probably a 1000 with no issues at all.

It's just when they do fail it's horrible, and it's a lot of money.

They don't like water, and they don't like to be ran dry either, so prime things the best you can after filter changes.

A factory lift pump helps, but the ford guys have had their share of CP4 issues with a lift pump as well.

Lubrication additive is ok as long it's not harmful.

One can argue how much faith is in snake oils as well.

Personal experience I have no problems with mine, and have seen trucks at work with hundreds of thousand miles, and 0 issues.

Only failures I see is on forums, so keep that in mind.

That said I have and will continue to look into a CP3 conversion kit.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    I would like to see for every failure you read about there's probably a 1000 with no issues at all.

It's just when they do fail it's horrible, and it's a lot of money.

They don't like water, and they don't like to be ran dry either, so prime things the best you can after filter changes.

A factory lift pump helps, but the ford guys have had their share of CP4 issues with a lift pump as well.

Lubrication additive is ok as long it's not harmful.

One can argue how much faith is in snake oils as well.

Personal experience I have no problems with mine, and have seen trucks at work with hundreds of thousand miles, and 0 issues.

Only failures I see is on forums, so keep that in mind.

That said I have and will continue to look into a CP3 conversion kit.

I love those forum guys.

They always pass the blame when they most likely neglected their maintenance.

I am guilty of that too, but nowhere near as bad as some of these guys that shouldn't own a diesel.

You know where I'm going.

Amazing how much abuse the CP3 would take and the CP4 needs conditions perfect.

BTW My teeth don't rattle. I don't have many left. LOL That ol' come-a-part runs as smooth as silk.

10. Likes RATLIN'HP, SyN, watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I kinda want to blame the "NEW & IMPROVED" rear cartridge filter for not doing it's job as well as the spin on. I have no proof but it really makes me wonder.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    I kinda want to blame the "NEW & IMPROVED" rear cartridge filter for not doing it's job as well as the spin on. I have no proof but it really makes me wonder.
    From what I’ve gathered from Chrysler reps the rear filter was designed with a little help from ford since ford changed there rear filter to a big cartridge to separate water out which works very well imho. I’m just hoping ram can learn from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a diesel enthusiast helping others:
    2015 3500 Mega Cab Aisin Leveled on 35's.
    2018 3500 Crew Cab G56 leveled on 35’s
    2021 3500 Mega Cab HO Aisin screaming eagles..

13. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cam95 View Post
    From what I’ve gathered from Chrysler reps the rear filter was designed with a little help from ford since ford changed there rear filter to a big cartridge to separate water out which works very well imho. I’m just hoping ram can learn from them.

Hopefully they'll learn what not to do because Ford has had plenty of CP4 problems.

Just keep the filters changed, run an additive for lubricity and try to keep any water drained off.

The CP4 wouldn't keep me from getting a new one but I'd find a 2018 if it was possible, just my opinion.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Hopefully they'll learn what not to do because Ford has had plenty of CP4 problems. Just keep the filters changed, run an additive for lubricity and try to keep any water drained off. The CP4 wouldn't keep me from getting a new one but I'd find a 2018 if it was possible, just my opinion.
    Yeah and when I was talking to them about additives they said to not run any because if they test and it comes back you had additives in it they will deny warranty.

Due to it stating in the manual to not use any so I haven’t been and I change the rear at 7500 and fronts every 15k with oil.

Just a diesel enthusiast helping others:
    2015 3500 Mega Cab Aisin Leveled on 35's.
    2018 3500 Crew Cab G56 leveled on 35’s
    2021 3500 Mega Cab HO Aisin screaming eagles..

15. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I can hear them talking about diesel fuel additives in my sleep - We discourage the use of a High Quality Diesel Fuel Additive - due to we don't want these expensive fuel system parts lasting much past 50K-100K miles!
    (Take $$$$$ away from us)!

Just like electronics and house hold appliances - Nothing is built anymore to last - No $$$ in that!
    Everything is being built these days - Disposable!

I think of all the thousands of 6.7L Cummins owners whom don't like getting their hands dirty and have their Rams serviced at these Fast Lube Service Centers (Every Day) - that do not use OEM filters - nor certified oils - Are all these warranties voided if issues?

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

16. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast