Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 68RFE Fluid Change

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE Fluid Change

I installed the BD deep pan on my 2015 and used the gasket they supplied and torqued to their specs in a crisscross pattern starting in the middle of the pan working my way to the front and back.

That was 3 months ago and no leaks.

I was skeptical about the gasket but now I dont think ill ever go back to gasket maker it was gobbed in there heavily LOL.

When installing the internal spin on filter I also upgraded to the metal filter nipple instead of using the plastic nipple that comes with it.

Now I can get my filter nice and tight.

It's cheap peace of mind!

2. Thanks WillG, timshooter40, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes WillG, timshooter40, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by C-MAN View Post
    I installed the BD deep pan on my 2015 and used the gasket they supplied and torqued to their specs in a crisscross pattern starting in the middle of the pan working my way to the front and back.

That was 3 months ago and no leaks.

I was skeptical about the gasket but now I dont think ill ever go back to gasket maker it was gobbed in there heavily LOL.

When installing the internal spin on filter I also upgraded to the metal filter nipple instead of using the plastic nipple that comes with it.

Now I can get my filter nice and tight.

It's cheap peace of mind!
    I also went with the stainless nipple and did the cross torque pattern.

Fingers crossed.

2012 DODGE RAM 2500, SLT, CREW CAB, 4X4, EGR AND DPF DELETE, 35X12.50R20, DRD MM3 Tuner

4. Likes C-MAN, timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

From my understanding and what I've been told is that when the 68RFE's come from the factory the pan is too thin to do any stiffening or strengthening of the transmission case and over a shortened period of time from new the case begins to flex ever so slightly from torque load and causes the stock pan to wARP and leak.

I've spoke to a few companies that make the deep cast aluminum pans and they all said that the thickness and hardness of these aftermarket pans is the reason that they send a gasket instead of calling out gasket maker.

The pans almost act as a girdle in a way to make the transmission stiffer as an entire unit and tie it all together mine has been a true testament to that! You should be good to go! Good luck!

6. Thanks WillG, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes timshooter40, watersupply189, WillG, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Just wanted to update and say no leaks yet.

2012 DODGE RAM 2500, SLT, CREW CAB, 4X4, EGR AND DPF DELETE, 35X12.50R20, DRD MM3 Tuner

8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

@WillG : So you refilled with 10Qts after the pan install and showing a full level on dipstick with ATF temps up to normal operating temp?

Also - what did ya torque the pan bolts to?

Awesome news ---> No Leaks!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

9. Thanks WillG thanked for this post
    Likes WillG, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    @WillG : So you refilled with 10Qts after the pan install and showing a full level on dipstick with ATF temps up to normal operating temp?

Also - what did ya torque the pan bolts to?

Awesome news ---> No Leaks!
    I started with 10 qts but had to let some out after checking fluid level both cold and hot. May have ended up with just over 8 qts. Torque was to the pan mfg specs of 15 ft.lbs. in a cross pattern.

11. Thanks SyN, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I will have to go slow with the refill level I guess - due to I'm sure the level marks on the dipstick are made with ATF temps over 190*F - (ATF swells a lot when heated).

With the install of the ATS thermal bypass delete block my ATF temps never get over 160*F.

I don't know how much that will play into the true level or should I say (Ideal Level) showing on my dipstick.

I will start with what I drain out with the OEM pan drop then add 3qts.

Once again - This graph is all I have to go on.

Left side is checking the ATF cold after sitting for 12-24 hrs.

The right side dipstick is where the level will possibly be after reaching 180*F.

If my ATF temps never hardly ever reach 160*F - do I add about 1/2 qt more to get my level up to target fill?

Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

13. Thanks WillG thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, WillG, timshooter40 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I will have to go slow with the refill level I guess - due to I'm sure the level marks on the dipstick are made with ATF temps over 190*F - (ATF swells a lot when heated).

With the install of the ATS thermal bypass delete block my ATF temps never get over 160*F.

I don't know how much that will play into the true level or should I say (Ideal Level) showing on my dipstick.

I will start with what I drain out with the OEM pan drop then add 3qts.

Once again - This graph is all I have to go on.

Left side is checking the ATF cold after sitting for 12-24 hrs.

The right side dipstick is where the level will possibly be after reaching 180*F.

If my ATF temps never hardly ever reach 160*F - do I add about 1/2 qt more to get my level up to target fill?
    Looks like your chart has a level for whatever temp your trans reaches when hot in 5 degree increments.

If you rarely reach 160 then look at the 150 Deg Fahrenheit (or whatever your "hot" temp is) level.

If that makes sense.

15. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillG View Post
    Attachment 11629 this is the filter kit I used that came with the gasket.
    Hi, I'm getting ready to do a trans service also do you recommend this kit?

Has it worked for you good thus far?

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

So far, so good.

19. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast