Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Aftermarket Wheels With Small Lift?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Why Aftermarket Wheels With Small Lift?

I am in the research phase of getting a small lift on my truck from either thuren or carli.

My question is, why do they say you have to get new rims when doing a small lift?

I actually really like the 18" Laramie rims on my 2018.

2. Likes watersupply189, Daniel diesel liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Why Aftermarket Wheels With Small Lift?

Quote Originally Posted by Spider8408 View Post
    I am in the research phase of getting a small lift on my truck from either thuren or carli.

My question is, why do they say you have to get new rims when doing a small lift?

I actually really like the 18" Laramie rims on my 2018.
    I'm a Carli & Thuren dealer and we have a ton of customers that stick with factory wheels on 3" or less lifts.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I have a Thuren leveling kit on my truck along with some other goodies that Don recommended.

Its my second suspension kit from Thuren that I've purchased and absolutely love it.

Its a night and day difference!

With Thuren you can use your factory wheels or wheels with a factory offset and fit 37" tires.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

6. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

It depends on the tires you want to run.

Leveling does not increase the ability to run a larger tire, the same tire will fit at stock height, until you install drop bump stops.

Factory wheels limit how wide of a tire you can run, by contacting or rubbing the sway bar or radius arm.

There are variations and contradictions out there but seems like max width on a factory wheel is 12.5”.

I would recommend reading the information on Thuren, Carli and synergy suspensions.

CJC has some pretty good YouTube videos also.

Personally, I am looking at two options when my factory tires wear out.

285/75/18 on stock wheels or 37x12.5x17 on a wheel that has an offset around 20mm.

The offset of the aftermarket wheel will keep the wider tires away from rubbing the sway bar and radius arm, while not require getting into the sheet metal of the truck on the fender.

2018 srw 3500

8. Thanks Spider8408 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob, 12W3500, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thank you so much for the info.

I do not want rubbing and do not want to trim. Right now my truck has 295 70R18 Ridge Grapplers.with a leveling kit and factory tires. I like the look, but the tires shake at highway speeds. I already had them balanced and the tire shop told me the tires are a little off and nothing they can do about it.

The harshness of the ride of the truck has me wanting to go the thuren route and maybe some cooper at3 in the largest size I can get.

But I actually like the factory rims.

Attached Images Attached Images

10. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Factory wheels hold everything in tight. Some lifted trucks might require a little bit of offset to run bigger tires. Good luck on the research with this. I've found it seems to be different for everyone. My truck, which is not a ram by the way, ran 35x12.5 tires just fine leveled on stock wheels. Just the slightest rub on frame cranked hard to left. I switched to fuel wheels with just a hair more offset and my frame rub is gone, I can turn left and right in forward gears with no rub, but in reverse with wheels turned mid way I rub the bottom back side of fender trim. Wheels cranked fully or straight in reverse so fine. My next tires will be down sized a tad. Just an example why you may or may not need aftermarket wheels

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

12. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I do not want rubbing and do not want to trim. Right now my truck has 295 70R18 Ridge Grapplers.with a leveling kit and factory tires. I like the look, but the tires shake at highway speeds. I already had them balanced and the tire shop told me the tires are a little off and nothing they can do about it.

The harshness of the ride of the truck has me wanting to go the thuren route and maybe some cooper at3 in the largest size I can get.

I also like the split spoke factory 18’s. You may want to consider road force balancing or balancing beads. Or try cleaning the mounting faces between the wheels and hubs. It may just be one tire that is giving you problems and you can switch them front to back or side to side to rule out a hard part problem like a bearing or a wheel problem.

another variable is tire pressure, could drop it some to match the tire load curve or until the tire contact pattern is flat at the lowest air pressure.

2018 srw 3500

14. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I have 35x12.50 on fuel vapors wheels with -12mm offset and a 2” Rough Country leveling added.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

16. Likes RATLIN'HP, Power247, AK Bob, Bud2723 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I had the same issue with my nittos but I had the tires road force balanced.

They flipped the tires almost 180 degrees and remounted.

now I have no vib, no shake when i hit 67-75 mph.

Posted this before I saw the comment which i agree with from CRSHANTA

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

18. Likes watersupply189, Mdavlee liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I to have fought with the 35x12.50 Ridge Grapplers.

I even run some reduced pressure.

I have them road force balanced life is great smooth as silk.

Then when I rotate them at each service usually no more than 6,500 miles the vibration returns.

Not sure if it's a wear problem which they seem fairly even and no real cupping.

I have about 28,000 miles on them and should easily go 45 or 50,000.

I'm mostly highway driving. So it hard to justify swapping them now just tired of constantly paying to have them balanced.

If I would have know at the time I purchased them I would have just purchased them thru Discount tire this way they would take care of the rotation and balance for free each time LOL.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal Laramie Sport 4x4 CCSB
    Thuren 2.75 front with Fox RR/ 1.0 rear with .75 spacer and King 2.0/ Thuren frt/Rear track bars
    American Racing ATX AX202 18x9 5"bs 35X12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    ARE Camper Top

20. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast