Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  38

Thread: The Difference Between 2012-2013 4th Gens

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

The Difference Between 2012-2013 4th Gens

So my wife just approved me to get a cummins again.

Previously I had a 2014 ram 2500 that i bought new, deleted at 70k and drove it to 120k. Loved it should have kept it, but we moved from FL to SC and I didnt think I would need a 3/4 ton. Now I do, I started a lawn spraying company and the F150 just cant handle the weight with the hills.

So my question is besides the emissions which i will remove anyway, what is the difference between the 2012 and 13-18's.

Radio was different, both have selectshift I believe, but as far as powertrain, suspension, drivetrain any major flaws in the 12'?

In my 14' once the def started giving me problems I deleted it and the egr.

I remember getting 2 water pumps, one at 50k and one at 80k, having the plastic fitting on top of the radiator split (easy fix), One wheel bearing went out at 95k. The dealer did them both since I had 100k bumper to bumper. Nicest dealer i ever dealt with. A/c condenser went out around 75k. Other than that i loved the truck and most of those I wouldn't consider to major.

Since whatever truck I pick up will not have a warranty most likely im trying to decide if a 2012 with 110k for $25k is worth seeing I will probably have to do ball joints, probably wheel bearings, major fluid maintenance (diffs, coolant, trans), possible torque converter.

Also from the way it looks here MM3 and DRD is the way to go.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: The Difference Between 2012-2013 4th Gens

I traded my 2012 in back in February.

It had about 106k on it and dealer gave me $26k for it on trade. So if the truck you are looking at is in good shape then I'd say it a decent deal.

The 2 main differences I can remember aside from the emissions is on the '12 the front diff is live all the which hurts MPGs a bit and 3.73 gears are much more common.

The '13s switched to free spin front diff and 3.42s as the standard gear ratio.

Interior, the dash and instrument cluster are different but pretty much the rest is the same.

It is much easier to install an upgraded radio in the '12s if you're into that kind of thing.

That's all I can think of right now.

I am sure others will chime in too.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Likes watersupply189, SyN, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks, aside from the front diff that doesn't sound bad.

I wonder if there is away to solve that problem

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I traded in my ‘12 Ram 3500 SRW last year on my ‘18. If I was going to delete a truck that would’ve been the one (no DEF). It was a good truck.

8. Likes Power247, watersupply189, Tandotech85 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

In the 12 and older trucks Ram was trying to meet the increased emissions standards from the EPA without using DEF. The other Manufacturers were already using DEF at the time. This was a sales pitch for Ram at the time because people didn't want the extra system on their trucks. However in order to meet emissions without DEF Ram/ Cummins was forced to use a huge amount of exhaust gas re-circulation to keep emissions in check.

DEF never gets into your engine and has no negative effect on reliability over time, its just sprayed into the exhaust system to cause a chemical reaction to reduce NOX.

EGR does have a negative effect on engine wear and longevity. The 12 and earlier Cummins ran a bunch of EGR to keep nox down without the use of DEF. For this reason I would personally avoid one of these trucks unless I knew that the EGR was deleted early in the trucks life. I've seen intake's totally caked with soot at ridiculously low miles on engines from this era.

I think Ram also made some improvements to the 68RFE around 13-15. I think the coil spring rear suspension was introduced on the 2500's around 2015. There were interior improvements as well.

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Frame was changed in 13.

I believe coils were in rear and real estate lost underhood tighter for compounds, dual radiators added plastic piece fails radio was upgraded to 8.4 Harmon from 6.9 alpine plus better sound for that radio.

Keyless ignition was available instead of fob, def added but issues came with 3.42 pretty common but if small lift and larger tires than od sure to cook fragile unless upgraded VB that should be done on all anyway with 68RFE endplate and bonded seperator plate would go DNJ lower plate and upgrade Revmax accumulators and billet filter adapter as preventive cross leak for od failure plus will give boosted line pressure benefit.

I have a 12 and love it 3:73 gears are better for towing.

Back when I got mine I deleted and added protect 68 from BD and Transgo shift kit!

Haven’t had any real issues but I haven’t left it stock either.

The Mod list is growing!

I know a guy who has over 550,000 on the clock emissions on and no issues two brake jobs one wheel bearing and regular maintenance and always turn on EB!

The newer ones get better mpg but look at cost of your going to run up miles a bypass oil filter helps with wear issues emissions on.

Hope this helps

11. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Tandotech85, SyN liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks.

I'm mainly concerned with any powertrain improvements.

I had a 14 with coils and it rode well as long as i had some weight on it.

Either way I enjoy the sound of a spooling turbo and think deleting is better long term. I'm definitely not one that likes smoke.

I think that's just a waste of fuel/money.

13. Likes Jaxonsram, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I'm thinking, but could be wrong, the 13's have the flex pipe on the downpipe making it much easier to be removed.

The trucks without the flex pipe, one must remove the crossmember to remove the down pipe.

15. Likes watersupply189, Tandotech85, SyN liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Other than the 14+ getting rear coil springs and 13+ getting DEF there is no significant differences.

Power is correct on the front diffs as well. If it were me I'd buy one that was stock and had the most maintenance records.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post
    In the 12 and older trucks Ram was trying to meet the increased emissions standards from the EPA without using DEF...

EGR does have a negative effect on engine wear and longevity. The 12 and earlier Cummins ran a bunch of EGR to keep nox down without the use of DEF. For this reason I would personally avoid one of these trucks unless I knew that the EGR was deleted early in the trucks life. I've seen intake's totally caked with soot at ridiculously low miles on engines from this era...
    This happened to my ‘12 Ram 3500 Bighorn 4x4 CCSB. The last winter I worked, it was only six miles to the office so my truck never had time to warm up. After awhile, the “Check Engine” light came on and it was determined by the dealer to be an EGR problem that wasn’t covered by warranty. It cost me $1,200 to have that sludge cleaned out. This, on a truck that was well maintained (oil changed every 3,000 miles, transmission, differentials, transfer case, coolant replaced, front brake job with all the brake fluid replaced) and I kept the service record up to date on the dealer’s website.

Since I’m retired and the truck was set up like I wanted and it was paid off, I had planned to keep it for the rest of my life but I came to terms with the fact this wasn’t the truck for me. I wasn’t interested in having it deleted but that’s what it needed so I traded it in at 50,000 miles. I hope the current owner had it deleted because it was otherwise a very good truck.

I traded it in on a leftover ‘18 Ram 3500 SLT with few options ever than the Aisin transmission and 6.7HO (and fog lights and Patriot Blue paint). Not a lot to go wrong with it and it gets 50% better mpg. The DEF isn’t the hassle I thought it would be as my dealer tops it off when I have the oil changed (and I bought the lifetime oil changes, up to four a year for as long as I own the truck). Otherwise I top it off when I refuel (@ the CFN pump).

18. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, Tandotech85, Jaxonsram, timshooter40 liked this post