Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: How To Bypass P0541

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

How To Bypass P0541

I was cleaning up my engine bay this weekend while doing some other work on the truck.

There was a massive relay bolted to my battery box that didn't have a purpose anymore so I pulled it out and disconnected the positive battery cable from it and wrapped up the wires going into the wire harness.

As soon as I started the truck I had a P0541 code (Low Voltage on the #1 Intake Air Heater Relay).

Well I guess I know what that massive relay was used for now, but since it wasn't connected anymore and I don't have a grid heater is there a way anyone knows of that I can get around having to reinstall this?

If I supply one of the leads with +12v, would that satisfy it?

I can poke around a bit, but I was hoping maybe someone has some experience in this?

2. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: How To Bypass P0541

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    I was cleaning up my engine bay this weekend while doing some other work on the truck.

There was a massive relay bolted to my battery box that didn't have a purpose anymore so I pulled it out and disconnected the positive battery cable from it and wrapped up the wires going into the wire harness.

As soon as I started the truck I had a P0541 code (Low Voltage on the #1 Intake Air Heater Relay).

Well I guess I know what that massive relay was used for now, but since it wasn't connected anymore and I don't have a grid heater is there a way anyone knows of that I can get around having to reinstall this?

If I supply one of the leads with +12v, would that satisfy it?

I can poke around a bit, but I was hoping maybe someone has some experience in this?
    It appears the PCM is looking for a voltage drop across the intake heater really coil. (see information attached).

To get rid of the code you would need to re-install the relay or satisfy the circuit with a suitable resistor.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks MrAnderson thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    It appears the PCM is looking for a voltage drop across the intake heater really coil. (see information attached).

To get rid of the code you would need to re-install the relay or satisfy the circuit with a suitable resistor.
    Thank you for the info!

I'll see about putting a resistor on it to satisfy it.

I really don't want that big relay just hanging around for no reason other than to satisfy a code.

6. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

How To Bypass P0541

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    Thank you for the info!

I'll see about putting a resistor on it to satisfy it.

I really don't want that big relay just hanging around for no reason other than to satisfy a code.
    You are most welcome! I would start by measuring the resistance of the old coil and check the current and voltage on the coil normally and when the PCM energizes the coil to determine the resistance and wattage. Check to make sure the resistor doesn’t get hot. Please keep us posted.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Likes Electrojake liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    You are most welcome! I would start by measuring the resistance of the old coil and check the current on the coil normally and when the PCM energizes the coil to determine the resistance and wattage. Check to make sure the resistor doesn’t get hot. Please keep us posted.
    Will do!

10. Likes AK Bob liked this post