Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Troubleshooting Trailer Brake Module - Signal/Voltage Output

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Troubleshooting Trailer Brake Module - Signal/Voltage Output

A couple of problems here.

But first... 2014 3500... the trailer brakes are adjusted up and they still work well with a different vehicle.

Like they USED to work well on my truck... the setting on my ram is perfect at 3.5 to stop a 17,000 lb trailer when it works.

The first problem being the dash says I'm getting signal to the brakes and shows the amount of power being applied, MOST of the time, but I still get the "trailer brakes disconnected" and "check trailer wiring" briefly, several times per hour as i'm driving.

As I said, it also shows the amount of braking power im getting, but there are NO brakes at all being applied either with the foot peddle or the hand controller.

I have went over the trailer fully and know the wiring and the brakes are all good, without shorts or other issues that would prevent the brakes from working as they should, AND when I apply battery power to the brake wires, I can hear the magnets clicking inside the drums, but there is NO sound when activating the truck circuit.

I don't know what or how the signal is obtained for the truck to know if the trailer is connected or not connected, and without it showing its connected, there is no way to get it to activate so I could troubleshoot it.

How do i trick the truck into thinking the trailer is connected which would allow me to troubleshoot further?

Do you have any other ideas that I may try in an attempt to troubleshoot them or where to look for the problem?

Thanks

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Troubleshooting Trailer Brake Module - Signal/Voltage Output

We had a similar issue on my buddy's 1500 RAM while towing a bike trailer back from Tennessee to PA.

We thought it was the trailer battery and stopped and replaced it.

It ended up being either the breakaway switch or the module on the trailer tongue but I believe it was the breakaway switch itself.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

4. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Troubleshooting Trailer Brake Module - Signal/Voltage Output

I just recently put new brakes on my trailer because of the same messages on my truck.

When the trailer was behind my dad's or uncle's truck, the brakes worked fine. 97 F-250 and 92 D-350. Behind my truck, it knew there was an open circuit.

One of the magnets had wore down and shorted the brake circuit which wouldn't allow the new sophisticated truck to use the brakes.

All lights, turn signals worked fine.

Works fine now with no message.

I had actually googled this problem and found to look at the magnets.

You could disconnect them one at a time and see if the message went away.

That would pinpoint a bad magnet without removing the hub.

6. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Noneck liked this post