Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  41

Thread: VGT Calibration Tool For Purchase Or Rent?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

VGT Calibration Tool For Purchase Or Rent?

I'm trying to locate a tool to set the calibration on my Gen4 turbo actuator

Does anyone know where I can rent or buy one that does this?

I see many that go for over $2500, but I have heard there are some good ones for around $500 or less.

The problem I'm having is that when looking at all the different brands and models of scan tools available on the market I have no idea of what "feature" the scan tool need to have that its able to perform the calibration function.

Even the expensive ones that some shops use don't specifically say "calibrates VGT actuators".

So how do i know what I need?

Any suggestions as to a brand and model that will work for my needs?

Thank you.

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Welcome friend!

I’m sure someone will chime in shortly that’s had this issue.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40, Corkey liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

You can calibrate the actuator with AlfaOBD and a OBDLink Bluetooth adapter.

https://alfaobd.com

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6..._VgEoFbAYDBXP5

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I use an Autel Maximus MS906BT. $1200.00.

The best thing about this tool is it walks you through the procedure to program modules.

IE VGT turbo. On 4th Gen, you have to bypass the fiat module by using an adaptor / the module is behind the stereo.

The Autel will walk you through it with a video,

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Re: VGT Calibration Tool For Purchase Or Rent?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    You can calibrate the actuator with AlfaOBD and a OBDLink Bluetooth adapter.

https://alfaobd.com

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6..._VgEoFbAYDBXP5

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    When I replaced my turbo actuator I used this method because it was the cheapest route.

I had to do it a couple times but worked with no other issues since.

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EEnvy View Post

The best thing about this tool is it walks you through the procedure to program modules.

IE VGT turbo. On 4th Gen, you have to bypass the fiat module by using an adaptor / the module is behind the stereo.

I have that exact scan tool, just not the BT version (Bluetooth).

Must have for any serious work on these rigs.

I might add, you can get free upgrades for a year, so as your year gets closer to expiration, make sure to get latest downloads.

You can renew and continue, but its pricey. My suggestion, wait 2 to 3 years, then download, all new updates will "backfill" any holes, so you dont need to download latest each year.

One reason I got this tool. Too many tools where forcing you do get it each year and then after so many years, they said its obsolete and no longer supported, forcing you go get another new tool.
    I was calling them SCAM tools vs scan tools.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EEnvy View Post

You had to bypass the gateway module; it showed up in 2018, but prior years didn't have it.

So access was easy.

No bypass is needed before 2018.

Just your luck. ;D

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

11. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Not meant to hijack, but how does Autel Maximus MS906BT compare to a SnapOn Solus Edge or Legend?

It would have to be used to be comparable $ in cost.

2015 / RAM / 2500 CTD-68RFE-4wd / 3.42 / stock tire size / Silver / Bighorn

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by z28-50 View Post
    Not meant to hijack, but how does Autel Maximus MS906BT compare to a SnapOn Solus Edge or Legend?

It would have to be used to be comparable $ in cost.
    I have the Autel MaxiSYS MS909 and am very pleased with the performance.

I believe, in general, the Autel scan tools will do everything the SnapOn will.

However, they lack on-screen OEM wiring diagrams, troubleshooting theory, and the operation of systems and modules.

I believe that SnapOn provides some of this information on their tools or can be added as a subscription.

The workaround for the Autel is to purchase standalone Mopar Tech Authority Service Information and Wiring software.

Similar information is available by subscribing to Alldata DYI or Mitchell 1.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.