Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Lift Kits Effect On Towing Capacity

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Lift Kits Effect On Towing Capacity

I am looking to get a 5th wheel camper.

Truck info: 2006 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 5.9L Cummins.

Tow capacity: 12,900 pounds...Payload: 1,670 pounds. 4 inch lift with 35s, Fox 2.0 shocks, Roadmaster Active Suspension System.

How much, if any, is towing/payload affected?

Can payload be increased by changing out the leaf springs or something else?

Thanks.

2. Thanks Murph thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Lift Kits Effect On Towing Capacity

A RV forum would probably blast you off the page for this LOL. I say send it! But do it carefully.

My 2015 stock rear height but 35 inch tires was plenty high for a fifth.

I had to drop the hitch down on the camper, and obviously raise the b&w in truck all the way up.

I only cleared the bed by 6 inches, and that's not enough, but the camper was nose high the way it was. It pulled fine, but I really had to watch the off kilter driveways and such.

I wasn't at all worried about being top heavy, or the bull you will read on a RV forum from billy big rigger with his perfectly set 30 foot long camper LOL.

That wasn't a issue.

Getting under it and getting you the clearance you need might be though.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

4. Thanks kdstew3 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, SyN, Murph liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I’m with Ratlin’HP.

You’ll have many more problems with bed rail clearance. I have a stock-suspension 2010 4-WD Dually, and my clearance is only 5”.

Have to be very careful about fueling stop entrances/exits.

I don’t think it will change load capacity very much, but it could, as you’ve added extra weight to the truck.

Remember that load capacity will be around 20% of the GVWR of the fifth wheel, plus the weight of the hitch, firewood, coolers, passengers, and anything else you would haulin the truck.

I think, with a fifth wheel, your RAWR might also be a limiting factor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Thanks kdstew3 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Power247, SyN, Murph, jltait liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kdstew3 View Post
    I am looking to get a 5th wheel camper.

Truck info: 2006 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 5.9L Cummins.

Tow capacity: 12,900 pounds...Payload: 1,670 pounds. 4 inch lift with 35s, Fox 2.0 shocks, Roadmaster Active Suspension System.

How much, if any, is towing/payload affected?

Can payload be increased by changing out the leaf springs or something else?

Thanks.
    Payload can't be increased period.

You can add airbags and such to help the truck handle the load but you can't change your payload numbers.

The big issues here are your gearing/ size of tires, bed clearance to trailer, and leveling of your trailer once hooked up.

My 2016 doesn't have a lift but I am finding it hard to get the trailer to sit level so I don't put too much load on one of the axles of the trailer.

8. Likes AK Bob, SyN, jltait liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Other than the bed rail height/trailer axle leveling issues already covered.

I don't feel the lift kit itself would lower towing capacity.

I do however think that tire size change should be used to alter the towing capacity.

So for instance, going from a 32" tire to a 35" tire with 4.10 gears.

Calculated new net gearing (32/35*4.1=3.748).

Now look at the towing data for your truck, pick a new max towing capacity based on the new "net gearing" calculated by the tire change. In this case instead of using 4.10 gears, go by the figures for 3.73 gears.

Your transmission will thank you.

10. Likes kdstew3, InlineSix.7 liked this post