Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  205
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

I have searched as much of the internet as much as I could handle then called Donaldson dealer/Cat dealer, to hunt down info, numbers and sizes for your stock or aftermarket Cummins.

Have to say they were both very patient with me not being a redistributor or even as wholesalers and asking a million questions to basically get this information to whoever wants to read it.

Donaldson & Caterpillar both have two version of each filter a regular version then a higher efficient version, with Donaldson its White then Blue (the physical colors of the filters) with Cat its AHE then UHE (Advanced then Ultra) since both Cat filters are yellow.

Start this right off for a stock system, you have three filters Oil & two fuel filters, neither Donaldson or Cat makes a factory style front fuel filter under the hood (cartridge) that would show up in their system that was guaranteed to work.

Oil Filters, Donaldson Blue is pretty well known here and across the web the ELF7349 now known as the DBL7349 (I personally run this filter) , the Cat version is 396-4596.

Now the factory rear water separator filter Donaldson P551833 this is a blue filter the Donaldson rep told me however water separators only come in white but this is equivalent to the blue, Cat does not make a stock water separator.

So for stock front fuel use factory or favorite aftermarket, oil DBL7349 or 395-4596 then rear either stock or P551833

Onto the aftermarket what everyone wants to read.

You decided you really don't like your front cap/cartridge fuel filter either you broke it or stripped out the cap, so you replace it with a spin on filter setup.

These aftermarket kits mostly come with a standard 1R-0750 Cat filter, while a good filter according to filtration tests over the internet from what I can find and talk to the manufactures, this filter and the next three (749 -1313 - 1319) performs slightly worse then stock.

These next three filters for an aftermarket application if only running two filters I would skip are the Cat 1R-0749 (same as the 750 just bigger) the Donaldson P551313 (same as 750) and P551319 (same as 749 Donaldson bigger version of 1313) all three of these filters are fine if you plan to run a secondary rear filter so basically three filters.

Now the filters I would run if you are only running two filters if you either don't plan to add a rear one or change the front to spin are Donaldson Blue DBF5814 & DBF5817 then the Cat 319-0844 & 416-1225 (rep told me 1225 is really well known and liked) if you have the space I would personally run the bigger filters the 5817 or 1225 more surface area, but everyone setup is different.

Last if you are running an aftermarket water separator, this was kinda tricky as we just used info from a couple kits then cross reference since most water separator kits use a thread group of 1-14. Would appreciate if anyone has anything to add here the most since this info was the hardest to really confirm.
    Cat does not have a UHE version of a water separator. Lets get on with it.

Donaldson P550847 then Cat 179-2949 (this is probably the most well known water separator the guy from Cat said.)

The bigger version are Donaldson P551000 & Cat 256-8573
    Donaldson blue versions P553203 (Old SAE version) P553213 (New ISO version)
    Last is the big version in the Donaldson Blue P550901
    If someone could confirm the water separators that would really help as most of the info was just based off of popular aftermarket setups.

For those who want easy to read condensed version
    Stock Oil - DBL7349 or 396-4596
    Front fuel stock cartridge, just use stock filter.
    Rear fuel stock or Donaldson P551833

Aftermarket front spin on without adding a rear third filter - Small DBF5814 - Cat 319-0844 - Large if you have the room DBF5817 or Cat 416-1225.

Rear aftermarket fuel filter spin on or otherwise known as front filter relocation. Same setup Small DBF5814 - Cat 319-0844 - Large if you have the room DBF5817 or Cat 416-1225.

My personal vehicle has an added rear fuel filter setup, then I plan to delete the front fuel filter when it comes time to change my filters, I am going to run the DBF5817.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I'm not a big fan of CAT anything, especially the newer stuff, but I can get on board the Donaldson train.

I used the oil filter in my 2015, and got them for cost which was even more better.

I don't think they made that rear water sep at the time.

I still switch back and forth with Donaldson and fleetguard on my airdog in my Duramax and they are my primary filters as the stock filter is such a pain on the Duramax, with a known to leak filter head.

I just deleted it.

I wouldn't recommend that to anyone else LOL.

I also run a volant cold air intake with donaldson powercore air filter in my Dirty.

Great filters!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

3. Likes watersupply189, Mdavlee, walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I am really happy with the Donaldson filters.

My setup as of next oil, fuel filter change will be DBL7349 (Oil) DBF5817 (Larger better Blue fuel filter) and P551833 Factory Style Donaldson water spectator.

If you really want to go nuts you could swap a front filter spin on Black Market front or similar style, swap the rear water separator kit with also Black Market style & add a rear fuel filter kit from diesel fuel filters and basically have three oversized filters if you are really paranoid.

I have found this guy race ready who sells a one piece rear Donaldson/Cat swap for the rear both for water & fuel however I don't know much about the kit, it looks well made just no info since I have not personally seen it.

https://www.racereadyfab.com/collect...ter-conversion

https://dieselfuelfilterkits.com/

https://blackmarketperformance.com/collections/cummins/products/bmp-6-7-cummins-rear-cat-water-filter-adapter-13-18?variant=30289985372242

5. Thanks watersupply189, Electrojake, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes RATLIN'HP, watersupply189, SyN, walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Re: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

Fuel and oil filters.

Oil.jpg

Blue Fuel Filter.jpg

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

7. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes Mdavlee, watersupply189, SyN, walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I'm so glad you wrote this up.

I'm wanting to delete my engine fuel filter and run a two filter system in the rear so i have been researching the kits available.

I did relocate my oil filter using the PacBrake kit.

So nice to do oil changes now.

9. Likes watersupply189, SyN, walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by S464 View Post

I'm wanting to delete my engine fuel filter and run a two filter system in the rear so i have been researching the kits available.

That is a nice kit for doing oil changes, also on the list of upgrades I might do.

Right now with my stock tires on with a Thuren lift the filter is not to bad to get to, when I plan to switch to 35s that might change.

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by S464 View Post

Are you going to try that RaceReady Fab kit?

I was originally going to swap both filters for the Black Market kits, but dual in rear sounds way more convenient and similar price.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

13. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    Are you going to try that RaceReady Fab kit?

I was originally going to swap both filters for the Black Market kits, but dual in rear sounds way more convenient and similar price.

Me personally no, I have the rear fuelfilterkit. The only benefit of upgrading the rear water filter is to get a bigger one that is slightly cheaper. In the long run it might be worth it financially but I am happy with the rear setup.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

15. Thanks 6.7 Coal Train, Electrojake, SyN thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Hey there friends
    Can someone recommend a good place to get filters for my 2012? I need the 2 for the cat fuel filter kit, stock fuel cartridge and the oil.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 RAM 2500, MM3/DRD, 625 ARP Studs, RevMax VB

17. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I get my Donaldson from this guy.

https://www.dieselequipmentinc.com/

Otherwise for Cat it shouldn't be too hard eBay or Amazon.

The other option is if you are near a cat dealer you can ship to store for free.

Always the famous: https://www.genosgarage.com/

19. Thanks Jaxonsram thanked for this post
    Likes Jaxonsram, watersupply189, SyN, walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast