Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  205
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Re: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

I feel the diesel fuel filter kit is a reasonably inexpensive investment - but I'm not a fan of paying $54-$60 for a interesting so called (3 micron) @ what absolute or nominal efficiency nano-net filter up front (which I feel is ridiculously over priced) then another $45-50 for the rear H2O separator.
    (Yes I do realize injectors are very expensive)

Much research has has shown there are not one true 2 micron absolute @ 99% fuel filter - The company might claim 2 micron - but there is no actual white paper flow data proving the 2 micron absolute @ 99% rating.
    My next question is can the stock OEM fuel pump survive very long trying to pump through a TRUE 2 micron fuel filter or would a additional fuel pump set up be needed?

SyN Disclaimer: I'm by no means recommending this set up.

I apologize for rambling with in YOUR thread

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CDIJeff View Post
    Yeah no problem, the best answers I can give is a multi part answers.

For the first one, I have heard the biggest factor depends where you live.
    My current location I believe stock would last me the life off the the vehicle without one problem.
    Just wanted an easier experience for changing the filter, that was my reasoning for changing to a rear filter setup.
    However if you live in super rural area where fuel is somewhat I'll say stale or sits around for a bit, I would be a little worried.

Two biggest things for better filtration is one being injectors, then the second would he the pump.
    See a lot of people complaining about the new Cp4 pumps on the Rams and Ford's destroying pretty much everything and bad fuel is to blame, not sure if that's true if someone can verify that for me.
    The only downside really to better filtration or more filters if you decide to run three filters is you are putting more strain on your fuel pump.
    That's more resistance that pump how to push through.
    Rather replace a fuel pump then injectors any day that's just me.
    Thanks for your answers.

I understand the importance of good filtration and the desire to move away from the front filter and save money on filters and make them easier to change.

I don’t have any problem with that.

However before replacing or substituting these filters I would like to know the efficiency and micron ratings of the OEM front and rear filters.

Does anyone have the actual specification sheets for the Mopar filters P/N 68197867 and 68157291?

I would think the “front” or downstream filter would be a higher efficiency and lower micron than the “rear” upstream filter.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

Have heard of people that run the front filter alot longer with two rear filters, I personally wouldn't I am paranoid about that stuff.

As for the 2 micron filter at 99% or 99.9% just have to wait for that filter to be made.

The front filter micron rateings are five & then three. Cannot find a percent for the front so it would just be a guessing game.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

6. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

@CDIJeff: have you ever experienced issues with the P51313?
    I do to much research or poking around - a lot of reviews of this filter leaking or not holding prime...

Was fixing to order a 3 filter kit - (installing the dieselfuelfilterkit) tomorrow & I can't find a Cat UHE 416-1225 no were locally nor on eBay or Amazon.
    Which makes the 3 micron @ 99% - P551313 that much more appealing.

Way to many unanswered questions on the so called new testing of absolute Efficiency!
    I personally just have a very hard time trusting any of these posted advertised micron ratings.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    @CDIJeff: have you ever experienced issues with the P51313?
    I do to much research or poking around - a lot of reviews of this filter leaking or not holding prime...

Was fixing to order a 3 filter kit - (installing the dieselfuelfilterkit) tomorrow & I can't find a Cat UHE 319-0884 or 416-1225 no were locally nor on eBay or Amazon.
    Which makes the 3 micron P551313 that much more appealing.

Way to many unanswered questions on the so called new testing of absolute Efficiency!
    I personally don't trust or believe any of these posted advertised micron ratings.
    I have not used the 1313, and I probably wont, since I plan to use the 5817 or 5814, since I am only going to be running two filters.
    When it comes time to change out my filters going to delete the front filter setup.

As for the rear water separator I plan to use P551833.

If any of these filter have problems, I have no problem calling out a company for product defects.

The 1225 filter seems they are all sold out.

All the bookmarks I had all show a blank screen, guessing everyone who didn't comment bought them all out.

Realized you put 0884 instead of 0844 for the car 319-0844. I thought I screwed up panicked and looked though all my post.

For looking online instead just don't put the - put 3190844 should show more results (at-least on eBay it does).

Try it both ways for best financial results.

Might have to call a local cat or heavy duty supplier near you, or use Donaldson version 5817 if you want the bigger filter.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

Ya the 0844 will not fit my base the gasket is a o-ring on the side.
    I need the flat gasket on the top of the filter.

I have no clue where I pulled the 0884 # out of!

https://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-3.../dp/B01FBT6D7I

Maybe in time the UHE 1225 will become more readily available...

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

Ya the 0844 will not fit my base the gasket is a o-ring on the side.<br>
    I need the flat gasket on the top of the filter.

https://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-3.../dp/B01FBT6D7I

I'll stick with the Cat AHE filters - along with the Donaldson water seperator & the Wix (polisher filter) up front!
    Did not even think of that, you make a good point with the lip on that filter.

I still can't fathom that all those 416-1225 filters are all gone.

Waiting on someone here or elsewhere to cut open both the 1225 & 5817 and give exact info/flutes and how much they filter per gallon compared to each other.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

Ok - Just installed the ---> Diesel Fuel Filter kit w/Cat filter.

I will say for a fella with large hands & thick forearms - this was a stinker to install...
    Changing out the filters will be a breeze - but installing this kit without the use of a lift - (Makes a old man say a few bad words)!

I did wrap the kits rubber fuel line in plastic wire loom w/zip ties & there was a small portion where the hose was rubbing a bit - with the bottom of the bed... (I wrapped a second layer of thick rubber hose that I split) - to cover this small area.

Primed filter 3 times & she started perfectly with zero leaks!

I posted above - why I chose to install this kit...

Attached Images Attached Images

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

Ok - Just installed the ---> https://dieselfuelfilterkits.com/13_...ilter_kit.html

I will say for a fella with large hands & thick forearms - this was a stinker to install...
    Changing out the filters will be a breeze - but installing this kit without the use of a lift - (Makes a old man say a few bad words)!

I did wrap the kits rubber fuel line in plastic wire loom w/zip ties & there was a small portion were the hose was rubbing a bit - with the bottom of the bed... (I wrapped a second layer of thick rubber hose that I split) - to cover this small area.
    Awesome!

Did you take any pics of the install?

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

18. Top Of Page | #40

User Info Menu

What’s everybody’s thoughts on this engineers quotes?

Also I guess this is why our GE Engineers & also our Noria Oil classes that a selected few was chosen to attend - were told this is why we use Differential Pressure instead of hours in service or gallons per hour.

Kinda makes sense now what our veteran truck drivers (NH3) have told me - They go off fuel pressure drop instead of mileage to dictate fuel filter life.

Ok - I'm already over thinking & over analyzing this filter thing!
    These Quotes were from 2 so called engineers - From another diesel form a few years back.
    I do believe one was a retired engineer from Baldwin.

Attached Images Attached Images

19. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast