Likes Likes:  205
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

1. Top Of Page | #101

User Info Menu

Re: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

Quote Originally Posted by CDIJeff View Post
    Made a $50 mistake today.

Went to install my delete plate, and realized I just didn't want to do it, because you have to remove everything connected to the front canister.

My thought was I'll just remove the front fuel filter and get to it later.

Apparently you can't do that on these smart trucks.

It knows if no filter is installed and the truck won't start.

Of course did this at night not at my place and had to pick up a Duralast fuel filter.

I couldn't reuse the old rubber gasket it swelled to much to reuse.

This makes me wonder will the truck not start if I install the front filter plate delete.
    Interesting!

My LML Duramax don't have a clue the factory filter and head are missing.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

2. Top Of Page | #102

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    Interesting!

My LML Duramax don't have a clue the factory filter and head are missing.

Exactly I have personal seen post about 2016 & 2017 running without a filter upfront.

I have a feeling that since mine is a 2018 and that is technically a 1 year truck maybe something needs to be changed in Alfa or something.

The check engine I kept getting was P008A LOW PRESSURE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE - TOO LOW

Aa soon as I put in the filter truck started light went away.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

3. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #103

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CDIJeff View Post
    Exactly I have personal seen post about 2016 & 2017 running without a filter upfront.

I have a feeling that since mine is a 2018 and that is technically a 1 year truck maybe something needs to be changed in Alfa or something.

The check engine I kept getting was P008A LOW PRESSURE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE - TOO LOW

Aa soon as I put in the filter truck started light went away.
    Was the canister full when you screwed the cap off to install the filter after that then?

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

5. Top Of Page | #104

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    Was the canister full when you screwed the cap off to install the filter after that then?

Yeah double checked to make sure.

Even took the cap off without draining it to check, fuel was maxed to the top.

I really am at a loss, but I am not too worried about it.

I just plan to run three filters.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

6. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #105

User Info Menu

Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

I am also going to run with three fuel filters.

Just as I have an additional oil bypass filter I will also have an additional fuel filter.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #106

User Info Menu

Bob: I'm curious - but ya don't have to share - I would totally understand

What brand of filters are you going to run?
    Only reason I ask - is for others whom in the future who choose to install either of these kits and are kind of curious what filters are best suited for the fuel system.

EDIT: Just so others will know - these are the filters that can be used with the 1-14 thread Aluminum Baldwin Base! (Without a galling issue)
    1. Donaldson (White Series) P551313 & 1311 - Cellulose Media -- Also P553207 w/water separator -----> (3-4 micron @ 99%)
    2. Donaldson (Blue Series) DBF5814 & 5817 - Synteq XP Synthetic Media ------------------------------------->(Sub 4 micron @ 99%)
    3. Fleetguard FF5320/5319 (Old Nanonet) - FF5814/5817 (New Upgraded Nanonet) --> Advertised as a true/actual 2-3 micron @ 99% filter.
    4. Baldwin BF7633/7587 -->(No Idea what the actual Micron rating is @ 99%)

Micron ratings of these are much varied - (Due to different methods of testing) The Donaldson Blue and Fleetguard FF5814/17 are reported to be a true 4 or sub 4 micron absolute @ 99%. (Without obstructing flow - GPM)

Cat filter with the Aluminum (Top Plate) -----> Not Advised to use these with a Aluminum Threaded Base.
    1. 1R-0750 - small
    2. 1R-0749 - large
    3. Cat UHE 416-1225- The Upgraded version (They are very hard to find for sale). -----> Fleetguard has a direct replacement for the 1225 as well (FF63053NN) - Sub 4 Micron @ 99% - Also very hard to find.

If there are others I missed - Please add!
    All of these fuel filters listed above support the 1-14 thread base.

EDIT: As of today 11-11-20 ---> I have not found any white paper data or information showing the the OEM Fleetguard (Nano-Net) FS35000 is a true 3 Micron (Absolute) @ 99%.
    They are quick to advertise the 3 Micron but will not fill in the rest of the blanks!

**Update** 1-26-21
    Front (Polisher) filter = Fleetguard FS43255 ----> Changed every 25K miles
    Rear (Water Separator) Fleetguard FS20089 ---> Changed every 10K miles
    Rear (Secondary Filter) Donaldson DBF5817 ---> Changed every 18K miles

After going through many Oil Filtration as well as Fuel Filtration classes via Work - I have realized --> A 2 micron fuel filter specification means it will filter particles as small as 2 microns in size - This does not mean it will filter ALL particles larger then 2 microns in size & will in fact allow particles as large as 10 microns to pass through the media.
    The filter media has to be created in that way to allow enough fuel to pass through for the engines fuel needs.

Last Note: Even if a fuel filter - removes 98.7% of ALL particles that still means 240.000 are passing through the filter with every gallon of diesel being burned by the 6.7L & these same particles are hitting the 6 injector tips @ extremely high speeds with the 29K psi common rail fuel pressure being used.
    {The more often you replace the fuel filters the worse it gets as fuel filters / oil filters / air filters are least effective when new}.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #107

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Bob: I'm curious - but ya don't have to share - I would totally understand

What brand of filters are you going to run?
    Only reason I ask - is for others whom in the future who choose to install either of these kits and are kind of curious what filters are best suited for the fuel system.

I possibly after this KOFIL kit is run - Switch to --> (I don't trust Amazon to always keep these in stock) Just a backup plan.
    Rear: Water Separator - Fleetguard or Donaldson
    Secondary Filter - Either of these (Fleetguard FF5814 or 17 / Donaldson Blue DBF5814 or 17)

Front filter - Wix WF10255NP

EDIT: Just so others will know - these are the filters that can be used with the 1-14 thread Aluminum Baldwin Base! (Without a galling issue)
    1. Donaldson (White Series) P551313 & 1311 - Cellulose Media -- Also P553207 w/water separator -----> (3-4 micron @ 99%)
    2. Donaldson (Blue Series) DBF5814 & 5817 - Synteq XP Synthetic Media ------------------------------------->(Sub 4 micron @ 99%)
    3. Fleetguard FF5320/5319 (Old Nanonet) - FF5814/5817 (New Upgraded Nanonet) --> Advertised as a true/actual 2 micron @ 99% filter.
    4. Baldwin BF7633/7587

Micron ratings of these are much varied - (Due to different methods of testing) The Donaldson Blue and Fleetguard FF5814/17 are reported to be a true 4 or sub 4 micron absolute @ 99%. (Without obstructing flow - GPM)

Cat filter with the Aluminum (Top Plate)
    1. 1R-0750 - small
    2. 1R-0749 - large
    3. There is 2 more (Up Graded) filters for the 2 above - but I can't find the #s now (They are very hard to find for sale).

If there are others I missed - Please add!

More options the better.
    Well right now I am running the stock Mopar filters front and rear with the additional Cat 1R-750.

On my next change (one year or 12,000 miles) I plan to replace all continuing with stock filters but replace the additional with a Fleetguard FF5814.

At each filter change I will cut open and inspect the filter elements.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011