Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  205
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

1. Top Of Page | #91

User Info Menu

Re: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

I do remember really having to apply upward pressure while attempting to slowly screw the Fleetguard filter on to the base - I feel possibly due to the check valve within the base.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

2. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #92

User Info Menu

The Diesel Fuel Filter Kit with the universal filter head from Western Diesel installed.

I must say the Western head is much better quality than the Baldwin and fits very nice on the bracket, very impressed.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #93

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    The Diesel Fuel Filter Kit with the universal filter head from Western Diesel installed.

I must say the Western head is much better quality than the Baldwin and fits very nice on the bracket, very impressed.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f7ba56e971.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f39cf773a1.jpg

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

That looks really good completely looks factory.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

6. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #94

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I do remember really having to apply upward pressure while attempting to slowly screw the Fleetguard filter on to the base - I feel possibly due to the check valve within the base.<br>
    <br>
    Possibly since the different shell sizes - Racor does not produce the Donaldson - like they are said in a few places - to produce the Mopar &amp; Fleetguard &amp; WIX.<br>
    <br>
    Jeff your pictures got me thinking.<br>
    Had a coworker give me a WIX water separator due to he traded his 16-6.7L in on a 20 Duramax.<br>
    <br>
    I compared it to the KOFIL - here are a few simple pics.<br>
    I know pictures really don’t tell much - but I can tell the KOFIL just feels much heavier or robust than the WIX.<br>
    <br>
    The KOFIL &amp; WIX are both 34cm around at the middle part of the shell.
    Nice, the Kofil brand looks good.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #95

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f7ba56e971.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f39cf773a1.jpg

That looks good Bob!

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

10. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #96

User Info Menu

Bob: Could probably fix up 20 of those and sell everyone!
    That's a great idea - now you can run the CAT filters with never a possible galling issue!

I agree - This is how these kits should have been done from the beginning - but I also understand the Baldwin base was probably used to keep the initial cost of the kit - at a decently low cost. (I'm sure over 100 bases or more were bought at one time for a large discount)

Either way - I believe either of these kits is a very good addition to the OEM system for the life of the injectors - As long as the proper secondary filters are used.
    I just don't think many diesel owners know how (Dirty & Poor Quality) the ULS diesel is here in the states compared to overseas.
    I'm also not convinced that the (Premium Diesel) that's sold @ some pumps is really any better. (Cenex brand)

I know now - with the Baldwin (Aluminum Base) - The Donaldson (Blue & White series filters) are my best option - so I will continue to run either the DBF5814 or 17 or if & when Fleetguard gets the kahunas to post their (actual - true) Absolute micron rating @ 99% of their FF5814 & 17.
    If at least a sub 4 micron - It would possibly give me another option (If Available)

Any of these filters supported by a High Quality Diesel Fuel Additive @ every fill up. (During both Summer & Winter months) - for cleaning & lubricity & Anti-gel.
    I'm confident (with all this done) - I did & am doing the right thing - $$$ Well Spent!

As of right now my future filter maintenance run times are as follows
    Front Engine filter - Replace every 25K miles ----> remember the 2 rear filters will be doing 95% of the work.
    Secondary Spin on filter - Replace every 25K miles (Donaldson DBF5814) ----> Or the Fleetguard FF5814 or 17 (Alot depends on the quality of the diesel purchased)
    Main Fuel filter / water separator - Replace every 15K miles.

Oil Filter: NO Brainer ---> Donaldson Blue DBL7349

With all this posted - I still think the most important task I can do for my 6.7L is choosing the right station to fill up with Fresh/Clean High Quality Diesel.
    I feel obligated to explain all my actions with as much detail as possible = Rambling!

Again - Awsome Job Bob!
    Always thinking outside that box! God Bless

12. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #97

User Info Menu

Installed the rear two filters both Donaldson.

The 5817 I have to say for future replacement looks way easier to replace. Just because it's longer so I can get more torque on it to spin-off.

Not going to lie the 5817 also looks pretty ridiculous next to the water separator, wouldn't have it any other way.

My Cat 0750 was sadly showing signs of galling.

Bonus info this random Sure-Bilt oil filter wrench fits the Cat, water separator old & new, oil, & new fuel filter, plan to find a spare of that in case it brakes.

If the computer is right I am getting 19.7 MPG

14. Thanks watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #98

User Info Menu

Made a $50 mistake today.

Went to install my delete plate, and realized I just didn't want to do it, because you have to remove everything connected to the front canister.

My thought was I'll just remove the front fuel filter and get to it later.

Apparently you can't do that on these smart trucks.

It knows if no filter is installed and the truck won't start.

Of course did this at night not at my place and had to pick up a Duralast fuel filter.

I couldn't reuse the old rubber gasket it swelled to much to reuse.

This makes me wonder will the truck not start if I install the front filter plate delete.

16. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #99

User Info Menu

Jeff: I don't have a answer for your question - but this is one reason I left the front filter in place.
    My common sense told me having even a 4-5 micron filter / water separator (Up Front) is only a added benefit.

Sorry to hear about your possible issue.

18. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #100

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Jeff: I don't have a answer for your question - but this is one reason I left the front filter in place.
    My common sense told me having even a 4-5 micron filter / water separator (Up Front) is only a added benefit.

Thus the main reason for me going with the KOFIL kit - I get the actual 4 micron filter without paying the ridiculous $89-$90.

Sorry to hear about your possible issue.
    Yeah is what it is.

Decided I am going to leave the front filter and run 3 filters.

I am going to switch the plastic cap to an aluminum one from pure diesel power.

Reason I am going with theirs over Geno's is, it takes both a 1/2 extension and a socket.

I am just curious how good the Autozone special is.

Not too worried about it since I have the two rear filters.

https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-pr.../product/21059

20. Likes AK Bob liked this post
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast