Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  205
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Donaldson And Caterpillar Info For Fuel And Oil

Great thread Jeff: The wife finally gave the OK to order the kit from dieselfuelfilterkits.com.

I really need to research the FS35000 - If the inner layer is not a true 3 micron (absolute) @ 99% - it’s not a actual 3 micron nano-net filter.

The front filter might stay in service for a bit longer - due to the rear filters are going to be doing 3/4 of the work.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Great thread Jeff: The wife finally gave the OK to order the kit from dieselfuelfilterkits.com.

After the Cat filter is used - I (might) switch to possibly the Donaldson P551313 or the Fleetguard FF5320.

I honestly feel either of the 3 will be a very beneficial addition to the stock system.

As for the water seperator - Depending on availability & $$ - Since Racor seems to be the main supplier for most of the name brands - I feel Wix / Fleetguard / Baldwin will be sufficient...

The front filter will stay OEM for now - I found a synthetic media 4 micron @ 98% absolute - shipped for $22.

This filter might stay in service for a bit longer - due to the rear filters are going to be doing 3/4 of the work.
    Nice, it really is a nice kit, my only complaint is that the kit does not come with stainless bolts, or the better of the two filters UHE or Blue (Big or Small) or even at least an option.

I replaced the bolts and lock washers with stainless, the bolts are SAE so they are somewhat easy to find in stainless.

The little screw that holds down the the fuel line I am pretty sure that's a machine screw 10-32.

I might replace that with a stainless if I see it start to rust.

If you plan to run all three 0750 or 1313 is not bad at all.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

4. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Jeff - do you know the measurements of those bolts? (The 4 that holds the filter base on to the bracket)?

My kit won't be here till monday - I might have time to look around for them before the kit arrives.

Thanks Lonnie

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Jeff - do you know the measurements of those bolts? (The 4 that holds the filter base on to the bracket)?

My kit won't be here till monday - I might have time to look around for them before the kit arrives.

Thanks Lonnie
    3/8-16 standard thread by 1.25 inches, or 1-1/4 depending how your hardware store lables it.

Fun fact those first bolts you see in my hand are actually metric 10x1.50
    The reason was I only took one bolt (the other one in my hand) instead of the housing and a metric nut threaded on.
    So I bought them, come to find out someone accidentally put the SAE bolt in there lucky me, freaking out why my new bolts wouldn't fit the housing.
    None of the other nuts fit that bolt from the metric pile when I went back
    Lesson learned always take the whole part and thread in every bolt.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

8. Thanks SyN, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Do you think 1 1/2" long bolts will work? We have these at work?

Nevermind - figured it out! watched the video again of install - 1 1/2 bolts will work - Ordered a kit with SS washers & lockwashers.
    (will be here Saturday)

Thanks again for your advice and help!

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

Last question.

Where do you guys buy the Donaldson filters at the best price?

Do LPM get any discounts on these?

There’s something about the 99.9% efficiency that I need on my truck.

Thanks again everyone!

12. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

The only guy I found that sells the weird or unpopular sizes Donaldson filters is this guy.

https://www.dieselequipmentinc.com/

They are a real company, I believe the buzzword is brick and mortar store.

Guy named Ben helped with my order.

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #28

@CDIJeff thanks a bunch.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

@CDIJeff Thanks for all the research and for sharing the information. I tried to find out what the specifications are for the stock Mopar rear fuel filter/water separator but couldn’t find it for the Mopar or Racor. However I found the Donaldson P551833 filter that is a replacement for the stock rear is advertised as 95% efficient at 2 micron (see link below) and the Mopar OEM front filter is 5 micron outer with 3 micron inner. So based on this information if it’s true I have a couple of questions.

1) Do we really need any more filtering?
    2) Why are we filtering down to 2 microns on the first filter in the rear then filtering with 5 and 3 microns with the front filter afterwards?

https://shop.donaldson.com/store/en-.../P551833/75707

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    @CDIJeff Thanks for all the research and for sharing the information. I tried to find out what the specifications are for the stock Mopar rear fuel filter/water separator but couldn’t find it for the Mopar or Racor. However I found the Donaldson P551833 filter that is a replacement for the stock rear is advertised as 95% efficient at 2 micron (see link below) and the Mopar OEM front filter is 5 micron outer with 3 micron inner. So based on this information if it’s true I have a couple of questions.

1) Do we really need any more filtering?
    2) Why are we filtering down to 2 microns on the first filter in the rear then filtering with 5 and 3 microns with the front filter afterwards?

https://shop.donaldson.com/store/en-.../P551833/75707

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah no problem, the best answers I can give is a multi part answers.

For the first one, I have heard the biggest factor depends where you live.
    My current location I believe stock would last me the life off the the vehicle without one problem.
    Just wanted an easier experience for changing the filter, that was my reasoning for changing to a rear filter setup.
    However if you live in super rural area where fuel is somewhat I'll say stale or sits around for a bit, I would be a little worried.

Two biggest things for better filtration is one being injectors, then the second would he the pump.
    See a lot of people complaining about the new Cp4 pumps on the Rams and Ford's destroying pretty much everything and bad fuel is to blame, not sure if that's true if someone can verify that for me.
    The only downside really to better filtration or more filters if you decide to run three filters is you are putting more strain on your fuel pump.
    That's more resistance that pump has to push through.
    Rather replace a fuel pump then injectors any day that's just me.

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob liked this post
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast